Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade tinder for survival kit

Default Homemade tinder for survival kit

Hi.

I make tinder with coton, vaseline and duct tape. It's easy and cheap, waterproof, unbreakable, soft, and fit everywhere:

Just make a ball with the coton (with some vaseline) and make a "pilow" with the duct tape.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

To use it with a firesteel, just cut the duct tape, rip out some coton, put your firesteel in it, and scratch it...

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/141/ahi.mp4/
    Last edited by AR7; 01-15-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Uh, AR7...?

You realize that your "preaching to the choir, right?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

No, I don't. I'm sorry. I just wanted to share an idea

That's one more method of carrying it. Crash has posted using aluminum foil. Do you have any trouble with the adhesive on the tape sticking because of the petroleum jelly? I use a .35mm fim canister but aluminum foil or duct tape is a lot more compact.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Do you have any trouble with the adhesive on the tape sticking because of the petroleum jelly? I use a .35mm fim canister but aluminum foil or duct tape is a lot more compact.
    No, I don't. It last months, maybe years...

The problem with the film canister (IMO) is that it don't fit anywhere, and the aluminium foil is weak and not waterproof. I seek a long time a good solution, and the duct tape is the best idea I had.

Well now, how about taking the petroleum jelly saturated cotton ball, wrapped in aluminum foil and wrap it in the duct tape. That way it's water proof, won't stick to the tape, and you have a base that is dry to light the fire on.

I've thrown the pj soaked cotton balls wrapped in foil in a bucket of water for a couple of hours - removed them - used them - no problems.

Duct tape sounds like a good idea too.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 01-15-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah once the cotton balls are soaked in PJ there should be no issue with water proofing regardless of what you use.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The picture of the completed ones look like something you can even keep in yout wallet! Okay, I'll stop there.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    The picture of the completed ones look like something you can even keep in yout wallet! Okay, I'll stop there.
    Yeah, but these won't dry rot after years of non-use and still in your wallet.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Are we talkin' handkerchiefs?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Are we talkin' handkerchiefs?
    Yes, Rick. (Plastic Russling) Here have a Twinkie!

Banned

I use firestarters for a fireplace. You can buy a big pack of them at most any store. They only cost a couple bucks. I cut them into sticks that are 2"x1/2"x1/4". They take a spark pretty easy and burn for about 15 minutes. They are especially nice to have if all the wood is wet.

Do you get any smoke from the duct tape when it burns. I would think that it might be foul smelling but maybe not.

Yes! Little smoke and smells bad, but just a small time

I use vaccume Sealed bags, the ones for food. Works great!
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

I though the tape is a good idea. I agree with rick, the burning tape will stink until it is consumed by the fire. If I try the duct tape tinder pack I will choose to use the back of the knife to run down the ferorod instead of chopping with the cutting edge.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Good idea with the tape AR7.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

If you use the duct tape, can you still compress the PJ cotton? Cause I can stuff a lot of PJ cotton in a film canister.
    I know what hunts you.

Thanks, Winters.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    If you use the duct tape, can you still compress the PJ cotton? Cause I can stuff a lot of PJ cotton in a film canister.
    Yes, of course. The best part of using duct tape is is that you can put your tinder in a very small space, in any survival kit. In mi fire kit I store a lot of vaselined coton in a small ziplock. But it's not the same: My firekit is too big to fit in a survival kit, and I think your film canister too.

My firekit:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.