Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Night Forum, Wednesday (2/20/08), 10:00pm EST

Dang. My feet are numb.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Did you state that right? The west would be FROM the west or southwest? Wouldn't that push you in the opposite direction of where you want to go? North to Northeast?
    The wind would come from the west or southwest, your traveling in a southerly direction, any way you choose, until you have traveled two hundred miles.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Why not try a fire plow? Less assembly and moving parts to balance. I would have to go with water travel. A raft does'nt have to be huge. and If you take a day to make tools you can make an stone ax to make it with. Stop and take stock of what is around you. I would take a day to set snares and make fire. Then I would look at leaving the area.

But the wind will blow you toward the west or northwest away from safety. Right? If you're on a raft you're going to be at the mercy of the wind and currents. I don't know. I'm asking.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Cool March or die.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    No winds would be blowing from west to east southeast.
    Water travel seems to be the fastest way out of the march lands. If I'm gonna bet wet I may as well ride.

Blog Entries

But the wind will blow you toward the west or northwest away from safety. Right? If you're on a raft you're going to be at the mercy of the wind and currents. I don't know. I'm asking.
    If you are going to try to sail on the great lakes, the winds would not be much help unless you could rig a sail boat together and tact with the wind. Paddling close to the shore would work.
    "Just Get Out!"

Well, I wasn't trying to use the wind. I just thought the wind would act against your southerly movements. If you say it will work then okay. I still don't like the idea of cotton being wet in 50F water.

Blog Entries

How long do you believe it would take to travel 200 miles?
    "Just Get Out!"

Blog Entries

Sam: Exactly my point,
    and rick, no see the current is moving south as the rivers flow, using a push pole it can be done, why cross to lake superior when you can go down to the bottom of lake michigaan and hit a river going further south.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

Well, I wasn't trying to use the wind. I just thought the wind would act against your southerly movements. If you say it will work then okay. I still don't like the idea of cotton being wet in 50F water.
    Early summer you get those winds that pop up from the south southwest. Travel would be tough and you would need to pull off the lake often.
    "Just Get Out!"

Blog Entries

On the lake maybe a day and then faster in the river, raft 6feet wide x 8feet long, with a push pole about 10 to 15 feet off shore on the lake. maybe even a bark paddle. We did that in Georgia in Ranger school and in florida..
    Last edited by Beo; 02-22-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Thought about constructing a sail. Those winds would put you on a broad reach with little ability to head up very effectively, thus pushing you further and further from shore. So scratch that idea. Rather than paddling which would expend alot of energy, I'd look at polling while staying close to shore.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Because I've been on Lake Michigan and I know what the waves are like. Think ocean swells. And if a storm hits then things go from bad to dead. I was joking about Lake Superior although that would be just my luck. What river are you flowing south down?

If you're sticking close to shore then you're heading to Chicago. It's my kinda town but a loooong way down the shoreline.

If using a longer raft, them a long pole that could be used as a kayak paddle (both sides) would even the strokes and make steadier headway
    To thyne self be true

Blog Entries

Thing is build a fire to dry out some and warm up and take your time building the raft so its sturdy and well made, could take five six hours.

I sort of see about 7 or 8 of us still standing in the swamp debating on which way to go and how to get there.

See, I have no fire. So I'm a little limited on options. I'm still hoofing it around the lake.

Building a fire carrier to carry an ember (coke bottle bottom) to speed up fire building on shore.
    To thyne self be true

Blog Entries

Didn't I say: raft 6feet wide x 8feet long, with a push pole about 10 to 15 feet off shore on the lake. Oh yeah I did, hey carcajou garou you and me are outta here.