Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit fur ideas

Default Rabbit fur ideas

I have all these rabbit hides I tanned last year. Can anyone throw out some ideas of what I could make? My original idea was a jacket or something but I quickly learned rabbit isn't all that strong...

fur.jpg

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The Native Americans cut them into strips with the fur on, they twisted the strips into furry strands then wove the strands into blankets, capes and bed coverings. This overcame the strength problem.

Or I suppose you could find a hooker in need of a new coat.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Holla.

Sounds like I could make a napkin out of the amount I have. Can you go into more detail please? How big of strips? Twisted as in the clockwise-counterclockwise cording? Then wove them how? Sounds interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The Native Americans cut them into strips with the fur on, they twisted the strips into furry strands then wove the strands into blankets, capes and bed coverings. This overcame the strength problem.

LOL on the hooker....but yeah, ya beat me to it.

I have used a few as liners for moc's in the winter, kinda like a sock..... but they really tear easliy.
    Found this if your are intrested:
    http://www.primitiveways.com/rabbit_skin_blanket.html
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

It was one of those things I read about 50 years ago and happened to recall. My mind is a storehouse of useless information. My kids used to tell me I was in danger of having my head explode and my son always claimed I was bald due to not having room for hair and all the crap I knew in the same place.

If I remember correctly these woven cloaks, blankets and capes were pretty much universal among the eastern tribes and also among the Grteat Basin tribes out west.

Anyway someone else has done a nice pictorial on the general principles and it seems you need to do some more hunting!

http://www.primitiveways.com/rabbit_skin_blanket.html

Seems hunter and me posted at the same time! Anyhow, it was the first popup on google.

Great minds, and all that!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-14-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

LOL...typing slow today?.....LOL
    Need a lot of hides though......
    Saw a baby on a papoose board with one of the rabbit fur wraps/balnket....was the cutest little thing....mom said lots of work.
    At rendezvous a while back.
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-14-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: splin'

Unfortunately hunting has been somewhat of a problem these days. PG&E bought all the property. Basically my backyard, which is huge and put up signs for trespassing/ dumping. Pretty sure this is just because people would come out the "the country" and dump all there ****, turning it into a nasty dump. I was hunting out there 2 weeks ago and got stopped by a random cop (wtf was he doing out here?) they came out guns drawn made me drop everything and searched me. Had all my licenses Ids and such. Let me off with a warning about trespassing. SO after a lot of calls to PG&E I got told there is no hunting on there property. I basically can't even step off the road leading 30 miles to the nearest town. Straight there and down the dirt road to my house. Such major BS I grew up out here. This is where I learned to hunt. I respect the land and don't litter. Another case of assholes ruining it for the good guys. I get torn now when I see people out here shooting/hunting. I can't do it because i've been warned. Sometimes I get annoyed and want to call the cops on them, but i'm not that A hole.

Welcome to the new world,...... kinda puts a damper of the"gonna go live off the land", don't it?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Welcome to the new world,...... kinda puts a damper of the"gonna go live off the land", don't it?

Well I never really expected to be able to live off the land anywhere in California, but i'd still like to be able to use it once in a while...lol...

I've always wanted to do a couple day trip out here, even though it's been my backyard forever. But the risk of getting caught is not worth it. Couldn't even have a fire. Especially since there's no burning out here and i'm on the FD. Probably wouldn't reflect good haha...

I have some hides set aside for making my wife a rabbit fur bra to wear to a renfest sometime.

Pics or it didn't happen.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've been doing this way too long to still have a problem with fleshing them. I can never tell when I have them good or not. I get it all uniform then one area a layer peels off leaving it very thing, but nice. I try to keep scraping and the "lip" between the thin and wider area but it doesn't separate. How do you know when it's properly fleshed? Should veins still be visible?

I'm working on brain tanning one now. It's all hung up but I don't know whether to start braining or try and keep fleshing with no progress....

rabbit.jpg

I do not know much about rabbit hides. I would think you could make a hand warmer muff or a hat out of them without to much problem.

One big company that is hunter friendly is Weyerhaeuser. In Washington, I would be able to hunt on their land year round as long as what I was killing was in season. You couldn't drive past the gate, but walking was allowed even when the gate was close the man gate was always open. During deer season they would open the gates on the weekends and allow you to drive in and hunt. No permit and no fees, just hunting. It is too bad the company that bought all that land won't allow you you to hunt on it. I think that is just someone who doesn't care and it is easier to say no. If you run into a lot of people who have been run off the land, try to raise a little peaceful hell at the next town planning board or something, they had to have bought the land for something. A little pressure from the public and they may change their mind. It is all about public relations.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

It's probably a liability issue. Their lawyers don't want a civil suit for injuries if someone got hurt. It's not only expensive but bad PR. Ask them if they will let you hunt/trap if you sign a waiver of liability. It could be in their favor if they have ponds or lakes and the banks show evidence of groundhogs. Tell them you'll also pack out any trash you find. If you make it attractive enough for them they just might be willing to do it. Maybe a quid pro quo. You clean up the property in exchange for hunting/trapping rights.

Find out who the manager is over the property and appeal directly to him/her. Send them a cordial letter explaining what you are proposing and why it benefits them (deer over population/over grazing etc.). If all else fails then ask them if the would be willing to open the property X days a month/quarter or some specified time during regular seasons. You might have to share with other hunters under this arrangement but you'll have access.

Make the letter as concise as possible but clearly state your objectives and how it benefits them. You also have to realize that their culture may be one of non-hunting/animal rights and nothing you say will sway them. Good luck.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick, I don't know if it's just our state law but any landowner that allows the use of his land for hunting, without charging an access fee, is not legally liable for any accidents that happen on his property. Part of our hunter education here is to try to explain this to large landowners and we were given info for this.

The same holds true for Pick Your Own places here too and they do charge a 'fee'. All those families that got lost in the corn mazes can't sue. LOL.

Wisconsin has quite a bit of land owned by the paper companies, and is open for outdoor activities as long as you don't have a fire.

There is also quite a bit in state and county forests, that is open.

Another thing to check on is CRP lands a Federal program that "retires land" for a number of years, but opens it up to outdoor activities.
    http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/webapp?a...copr&topic=crp

Jest is, if people take the money, they have to let you hunt,..... but you have to ask.

These days "Hunting" is basically "Hunting for a place to hunt", I spend a lot more time looking, asking, and checking out places to hunt, than I do hunting.

P.S.
    Check out this site as well:
    http://www.huntfishcampwisconsin.com/USDirectory.html
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-15-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: added stuff

Being from California I thought he might be bucking up against the animal huggers.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Rick, I don't know if it's just our state law but any landowner that allows the use of his land for hunting, without charging an access fee, is not legally liable for any accidents that happen on his property. Part of our hunter education here is to try to explain this to large landowners and we were given info for this.

The same holds true for Pick Your Own places here too and they do charge a 'fee'. All those families that got lost in the corn mazes can't sue. LOL.
    You beat me to it. It actually behooves them to put it in writing. If it's put in writing they are released from liability. If I dont have permission and get hurt, then I can sue. What a great world.

All i'm trying to hunt is jackrabbit, which is in season all year.

It helps if it's in writing too if a game warden happens to spot you. Especially on some town owned properties.
    Last edited by LowKey; 01-15-2012 at 01:59 PM.