Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: coons

Just remember with coons you have to look for roundworms in the flesh after you clean them.Down here in Texas thats one of the issues that infest our furry friends.We eat lots of coons but ours eat a diet of corn and veggies from our feeders we set out for hogs.They do taste good though when cooked properly.

I've never heard of that. Only roundworms in the trachea, which has no effect on the meat, and isn't in raccoons. Only thing I no of with coons is Thorny-headed worms
    Acanthocep-halan, and Larva migrans
    Baylisascaris procyonis. Neither of which if dangerous if you cook the meat and don't eat entrails...

My Dad said he tried raccoon once and it didn't taste very good..... but his was cooked on a pitch fork over a fire in the state forest lol.....
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Well that is what they say but I have found them up to 9 cm long migrating from the gut to the surrounding meat,therefore it does pay to be on your toes.Also we have a large problem sometimes with distemper and rabies.

Yes, I said i'd never heard of that, not that it wasn't true. Good to know, i'll keep an eye on the meat too. Any idea if that problem is anywhere besides Texas?

Not that I've heard but we have a real overpopulation problem here where I hunt,we have thousands and the weather has been extreamly warm this winter.I remember when I lived in Floridia I saw it in a few there but not many.A good rule of thumb if you eat any wild game is to do a parasite cleanse every 3-6 months with wormwood capsules.2 a day for 30 days should take care of any issues and protect you for a couple of months,also for more microbial protection using Cumanda and Samento in a glass of water every day during trapping season can reduce your exposure to flea and tick bourne bugs.I trap for a living all year around so I try to protect myself as much as possible.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have heard of the problem with the worms locally (South GA), but I haven't actually seen any. Since I cook all my meats, I would be much more worried about the rabies, but it is always a good idea to watch for parasites in any and all animals you intend to eat.

We have a serious population of racoon around here. I always snipe them off and freeze the cleaned meat right away. Then it's off to the frying pan. I figured the freezing/frying would kill anything that could harm me.

Has anyone ever had them smell so bad you were gagging while cleaning, even after years of gutting animals? I'm thinking it was because it sat in my cool garage for 12 hours without tending to it, but just curious if it could be something else, like a disease or parasite infection, or even just a bad smelling one because of it's diet?