Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Through the Eyes of a Child

First, I welcome any critique or suggestion on what has or should be done. Those three children are the very reason I am here on this forum. Do not let me lead them down a wrong path.

Especially for children of this age, I consider signalling and shelter to be of highest importance. First aid is certainly near, if not at, that level of concern. Water, I am a bit hesitant to show them how to clean up a mud hole right now. Food, certainly high on their list, but not all it's cracked up to be short term. Listen to me argue with myself:

Food: Again, not a big concern when considering short term survival, but a major comfort to them. My focus has simply been to allow them some choices to pack and give them the opportunity to prepare it. I constantly remind them of proper hygiene, and of the safety concerns of a fire.

Water: I struggle with this one. We have relatively clean water about us, certainly not potable without prep though. I can justify dodging that subject somewhat by the fact that they must inventory their personal supply with each outing. Carrying the weight versus what you need/want is a lesson that we all struggle with concerning many items/tasks.

First Aid: Focus at the moment is simply prevention. They are relatively safe around the fire, so much so that they cook slow. I haven't focused enough on showing them the subtleties of a proper cooking fire, that one needs fixin'. Getting them to just slow down and be sober in their moves has been my biggest safety concern. I try to be calm when calling them out on that, I certainly do not want to quell their enthusiasm. They each have a first aid kit, how and when to dive into it I struggle with.

Shelter: As you have seen, they have been through a lean to. I think they understand shingles now, but I must test them at that. Knots, not only for shelter, is soon to come. A garbage bag tent, and the space blanket, may be one of the next tasks. A debris shelter is soon to come also.

Signalling: A short story first.

The second year that my oldest son went with me for buck season, was the first time I had ever let him out of my sight in that setting. That particular year, a hunter from a camp about 1/4 of a mile away fell and broke both his legs on his way into stand. He laid there all day, helpless, until one from our camp was making his way back to camp after dark. He made contact simply by yelling.

It was almost daybreak when we finally got the guy to the top of the mountain. Seeing that chopper land on that remote gas line right of way, in the Potomac highlands of WV, was a surreal and emotional experience. We have not been afield since that year without a two way radio. I'm sure many on here have experienced much more horrifying scenarios, but I offer it only to make myself relive the horrible thoughts of not being able to find my son. It shivered me timbers. I carry that experience, every time I am out with the varmints.

We started last week on leaving signs. I aim to focus more on signalling this coming weekend. Flash, their whistle, smoke, and proper protocol on the radios. They each have a 22 channel GMRS/FRS/Wx radio. Our hunting camp protocol was only an obligation to listen at the top of every hour for five minutes. I'm not certain how that evolved, but battery life was one of the considerations. We chose a high watt channel, illegal without a license I think, and operate with a quiet code. It works when you have many on the same "page", but it is flawed in a general sense. I could write pages of me arguing with myself on this subject, but I'll simply throw out a couple of comments/questions to hopefully start some dialogue.

They are certainly not a hot rod radio, but common and functional. Functional enough?

Without the paid license, GMRS is illegal?

Which channel? Is this the standard?...........LINKY........

Battery life, they'll last a week of daylight remaining on if rx/tx is limited. Top of the hour only? More? Less?

Comments are welcome on any of the above, or any other thoughts/concerns.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

One of the varmints had been a bit under the weather through the week. It was wet from Saturday rain yesterday, and in the mid 40's F. So I made plans for an abbreviated day, we'll only spend 3-4 hours outside.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

JMA draws the fire building card. And yep, it's a twofer kinda day.

One strike

And we're off

BD and BB drag away the bows

While JMA tends to the monster

We get the tarp roughed in.

And break for lunch

These seem to go over well.

These, not so well, although I enjoyed a few.

BD does the dirty work.

They were a nice addition to my stew.

We done a little bit of trim work.

Then, it was whittle and saw time.

BD does get some fuzz stick action going.

Again, short day, We head to Mamaw's for hot showers and;

Another great day that I'm sure will be fond memories for a lifetime.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I second that. Nice job!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Do you plan on teaching them how to sew?
    Based on this picture, it looks like it could be an appreciated self-sufficiency trick for the kids: http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-w...-wZDGFLJ-L.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by payne View Post
    Do you plan on teaching them how to sew?
    Based on this picture, it looks like it could be an appreciated self-sufficiency trick for the kids: http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-w...-wZDGFLJ-L.jpg

We're workin' on it. In the mean time, I need to teach you how to wrap an image link so that it will show. Quote this post and look at the wrap added to the photo that I added,(Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.). Practice that for me? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    We're workin' on it. In the mean time, I need to teach you how to wrap an image link so that it will show. Quote this post and look at the wrap added to the photo that I added,(Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.). Practice that for me? ;-)
    Haha, you're awesome!
    And as for the image, I actually intended it not to show so that you are the only one posting pictures in here.

what an apsulute (sp) ausome thread my friend and what an ausome grandpa u really are

Thanks for sharing. I have my grandaughter living with us, and the first thing she asked is "when can we go fishing grandpa"

Quote Originally Posted by drewdunnrespect View Post
    what an apsulute (sp) ausome thread my friend and what an ausome grandpa u really are
    Thanks, and welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by tj922 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I have my grandaughter living with us, and the first thing she asked is "when can we go fishing grandpa"
    I quote the sig line of COWBOYSURVIVAL, "Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild."

Default 4 seasons in the West

I have been away for a week, across the big pond, on the east side. Touched down today and was blessed with the presence of BD.

BD gets a ped and mani while I take a nap. I awake to pajama man.

Hors d'oeuvre, I've been thinking this one through for a few weeks. Mac and Cheese from scratch, in the field has another twist. We'll get to that soon enough. MaMaws kitchen;

BD cooked and served, this went over well.

We take a walk before dinner, I absolutely love four seasons. Winter has come to WV.

Just a drive by of the AO:

Back to the kitchen, BD gets coached.

Peel em'

Slice em' and dice em'

Scrub it

Smash it

Flip it

Serve it

It's time for another nap.

TSPSBAVAO

Are you grilling indoors?

Peeling potatoes? Did you know the peel is the healthiest part of the potato? The skin of a potato provides 45% of your recommended daily allowance (RDA) of vitamin C, 18% of your RDA of potassium and 10% of your vitamin B6. Not only that but it adds fiber to your diet. The skin also contains phenolic compounds, which are thought to add anti-oxidants to your meal. Peal the potato is you want but through the tuber away and eat the skin.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Looks like another great day.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Are you grilling indoors?
    Upstairs porch, whole house fan for evac. The grid is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Peeling potatoes? Did you know the peel is the healthiest part of the potato? The skin of a potato provides 45% of your recommended daily allowance (RDA) of vitamin C, 18% of your RDA of potassium and 10% of your vitamin B6. Not only that but it adds fiber to your diet. The skin also contains phenolic compounds, which are thought to add anti-oxidants to your meal. Peal the potato is you want but through the tuber away and eat the skin.
    That hurts, that really hurts. But, I'm dealing with a ten year old. I eat the whole tater, but when in Rome (a child's stomach), compromises must be made. I'm shakin' it here boss, I'll have him eatin' em' right off the tree soon enuff'.

Default Mrs. Frosty

A day off school just after a nice snowfall, whatcha' gonna do?

Mrs. Frosty, catchin' some rays.

BB and JMA, all rights reserved. LOL

Snow Illustrated Swimsuit Edition. Cool.

That could be you, Rick, sans the top.

By golly. You're right. Man boobs and all.

I start with a teaser statement; Our shelter got mangled. I went and had a look, after the storms past, and it's mangled. It's not beyond repair, I don't think. I don't think it will take any more damage left as is. But, it is a humbling thing to see. We, the varmints and I, should take note of the power that Mother Nature has in store. They haven't seen it, and I left it as I found it so that they may see the destruction. You'll see it shortly after they do, I'll take some pics of the attempt to rebuild. I have some tree damage to clean up also. I want to show them that also, a good lesson in what to look out for in extreme conditions.

For a number of reasons, we had to stay at Martha's nest today. So, cooking and Theater Deployable Communications were the topics.

First, cooking, on the wood stove. We split the duties up. BD builds the fire and learns the subtleties of damper and draft.

BB was in charge of the sausage.

JMA took the pancakes.

I was more than glad to take on the photog responsibilities.

TDC, and you have to take note of the theater we are dealing with. Kids these days are growing up with an amazing amount of digital devices. If I am going to have any chance of staying in touch, I've got to learn "their" language. We've worked some on the two-way radios, but it was time to collect all of our new age portable COMM equipment and integrate.

It was an amazing journey of what they did and didn't know, and the same for me. Getting everything to work on my network, and doing all of the security updates and protocols was first. Setting up their email accounts and syncing contacts and mail was next. I had little time left, but I did get them to run through at least one COMM on each device to each in our circle. All that while they were trying to show me and each other the latest and greatest app, game, or web page.

I would guess that I still have another few hours getting emergency numbers/contacts in a functional format. I would have liked to have done that one today, but I just got hung up turning "digital wrenches" so to speak. Music and pictures took that much time today, but that kept their attention and they learned some file management.

Get three varmints, and eleven digital devices, in the same room at the same time and you've got your hands full.

What a day! House shoes in the field? LOL

Time after time, ITN, you manage to teach them something valuable while having a great time together.
    Who could ask for more? Not a child, not an adult.