Thread: Drownproofing

Blog Entries

Default Drownproofing

Summer is rapidly approaching, and it's inevitable that we'll be reading about numerous needless deaths caused by drowning. Survival entails knowing your limitations, avoiding foolish risks, being properly equipped, observing safety precautions, and knowing what to do if you nonetheless find yourself at risk of drowning.

We've talked about Water Safety here before, http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=water+safety, but there's a technique we haven't spoken about that's very similiar to one I taught decades ago. DROWNPROOFING.

Drownproofing is a "simple water survival technique that is easy for anyone to learn. With Drownproofing it is possible to survive almost indefinitely with minimal effort. You don't even need to know how to swim."
    Here's an excellent description of how it works. And it does! Take a look and give it a try in the relative safety of a swimming pool. (Just make sure you're not alone when you do.) Teach your kids and loved ones about this technique. It could very well save your life or that of a family member or friend.

http://www.drownproofing.com/
    Last edited by Ken; 05-01-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: fixed link
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

A month or two ago I was teaching that to my boyscouts. It is part of the swimming merit badge.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

That's one of the techniques that was taught as part of our water survival training starting in boot camp.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would like to learn this. I have negative buoyancy, always sank like a rock.

Thank you for the reminder. I am amazed that basic water safety skills are not part of every school physical education program.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 05-02-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks - good reminder.
    Last edited by sjj; 08-16-2015 at 02:55 AM.

Back in the olden day, Scouts were tought to float, and seems to work well.
    Practice on floating or light treading water is important, and can be done fully clothed.

Canoe practice , righting the canoe can also be done....work much better, with a PFD.....but if practiced is effective.

Good reminder, tis the season.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Faiaoga View Post
    Thank you for the reminder. I am amazed that basic water safety skills are not part of every school physical education program.
    Yeah, but it has something to do with education and not indoctrination. That would be the only issue with teaching water safety.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

We should remember Captain James Cook on his final visit to Hawaii in 1779.
    "Ironically, the world's greatest navigator was such a poor swimmer that he apparently stumbled into an angry crowd rather than swim a few yards out to a waiting boat." Lonely Planet Guide to Hawaii 1997

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I grew up in the south. Mom and/or dad would take us to the lake to swim most weekends. In other places we lived, we were always able to find a swimming hole or a river to play in. I do remember my dad teaching me to swim, though it really came very naturally just from being in the water so much. Alaskan children don't learn to swim. Our waters are too cold to play in for the most part. We have a terribly high rate of drownings due to this. I made sure my children learned to swim though by taking them to the pool (indoor) or out to the hot springs (60 miles away). At each boat ramp there is a big board with wooden pegs to hang life vests on. The Red Cross, puts children's life vests out there every year. They are free to use if you are going out on the water and don't have life vests for your kids.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I would like to learn this. I have negative buoyancy, always sank like a rock.
    Me too man, I simply cannot float in any manner with out some sort of flotation device. Doesn't take much to keep me up, but without it, I slowly sink.

Quote Originally Posted by JPGreco View Post
    Me too man, I simply cannot float in any manner with out some sort of flotation device. Doesn't take much to keep me up, but without it, I slowly sink.

Thanks JP, I always thought it was just me. sometimes I think I could simply walk across the bottom of a lake, have never tried it though LOL.

Blog Entries

Just gain a few pounds and you'll float much easier. Trust me, I know.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I know the feeling randy, especially from being a scout. Didn't pass a swim test cause I couldn't float, but luckily I just colored in the tab to have a full swimmers tag instead of an intermediate tab

Ken, that is my problem. Mass/Volume = density. I figure I'm about a .98 so I sink slowly... lol 6'2" and only 170lbs = sink apparently...

After all these years I would probably float rather well now LOL.

Thanks for the post! This could truly save lives. I'm going to practice this on my own in a safe public pool til I have the hang of it. I'm not a very good swimmer but I'm bouyant!

If you are gonna do anything that might even seem like you are in trouble..in a public pool or swimming area...let who ever is on duty as life guard or what ever......or you may experiance getting 'saved" when you reall don't want to.

Case in point......summer day, public area, new canoe, wanted to practice tipping it over, the righting it and getting back in.
    Figured it would beat trying it on a fast moving river, in October, dressed in waders etc.

Didn't tell anyone except our wives...ended up almost getting saved by panicking lifeguards on shore.

Actually works, pretty well, but even better with a PFD.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Wow! Talk about tests...

"To pass Fred Lanoue's Drownproofing course, students had to float for one hour without touching the bottom or sides of the pool. Then, the final test was to swim two lengths with wrists and ankles tied! "