Thread: Hammocks, Net vs. Cloth

Default Hammocks, Net vs. Cloth

Up for discussion are the benefits of one type hammock over the other as a multi use item.

For the net hammock:
    *Some are weight rated to 880 lbs.
    *Can be used as a fishing net.
    *Extra cordage.
    *Easily repaired in the field.
    *They're cheaper.
    *???

For the cloth hammock:
    *weight rated 190-250 lbs.
    *???

Cloth hammocks are way more comfortable. That is their main function. I'd rather sleep on a hard ground with a thin ccf pad then sleep in a net hammock all night.
    I wouldn't say they are all that multifunctional. Sorta like a thick air mattress.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Built one years ago from nylon twine that I had used for the main line for a trot line. Turned our great. That was in the late 70's. I got the idea after I had used one in the field. May be my new rainey days project

No doubt cloth must be more comfortable. It's been 30 years since I've used any kind of hammock. That's how much I like them. I do see the beneficial application in the right setting.

From the givin, I'd go with the net hammock. It may be uncomfortable but, in a survival situation and with the benefits, the net hammock seems to win over the cloth hammock.

In the net hammock during a tropical night some good friends can sleep with you in your clothes (of course it can happen in a cloth hammock without mosquito net as well).
    In a survival situation you can do more things with a net, it is my opinion.
    Last edited by el-amigo; 05-29-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: little corrections
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...

The reason why most people don't like sleeping in hammocks is because they slept in a net one, at one point. People who love sleeping in hammocks, and do so on purpose.....pick cloth ones. I wonder if there is something to that?

If I were going to pick one to put in my survival kit, I would pick a net one. Kinda like a condom, you aren't going to use it for its intended purpose.

I wonder if I could make a net bridge hammock.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I can't imagine what my butt would look like after sleeping in a net hammock all night. That's too ugly for even me to think about. Blech.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I took a issue air matress and blew it up about half way, put it in and slept like a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I can't imagine what my butt would look like after sleeping in a net hammock all night. That's too ugly for even me to think about. Blech.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    He ain't gonna make it.

Quote Originally Posted by mwp
    I took a issue air matress and blew it up about half way, put it in and slept like a baby.
    Yea, even a piece of cardboard would make it comfy.