Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the most ratty piece of gear that you still use regularity?

I have an old old old knife back from the 80's that I still carry with me. I think its a Gerber, but the lettering wore off years ago. I consider it to be a good luck charm

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    I was watching a show today called American Diggers, they were privy digging and found an old compass just like that one that sold for 500 bucks! You might have yourself a little treasure there lol

if that's the case, I probably have a million bucks worth of old junk LOL.

If I find anything diggin' in a privy it better be worth $500.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterDan View Post
    I have an old old old knife back from the 80's that I still carry with me. I think its a Gerber, but the lettering wore off years ago. I consider it to be a good luck charm

....Could have used just one "Old".....Hrumph 80's....old, old.......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    ....Could have used just one "Old".....Hrumph 80's....old, old.......LOL
    Yeah, was going to say I had socks that old, but needed more coffee.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I was going to say my '46 Willys, but I don't use it too much anymore. I'd have to say my '81 Toyota pickup, which I use regularly.

Banned

I came across a few old pocket knives (very small) that I will be adding to a little pouch. One says Trojans on it, one says Ranger and one says Frontier. The other is a little carved piece of wood that has a few blades in it. Not sure if those are old time brands or what, but they were in a thing of my grandpa's so I'm guessing they could be pretty old.

I have a P-38 can opener that I put on my key ring in 1972, many different key rings since then but same old P-38, just opened a can of peaches with it yesterday and it still works great.

Lol, I would say my 1982 Toyota pick-up. She is rusty, ugly, but starts every single morning and still hauls bags of feed like nobody's business. Don't use a drop of oil, and believe it or not the a/c still works like a charm.
    No Retreat, No Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    My knife{pic taken before i smashed my camera}
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    peter,

Who is the maker of this knife? I think I asked before, but I'm no longer sure of anything I "ONCE" said. CRS is beginning, you see...
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 06-12-2012 at 04:58 PM.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    I was watching a show today called American Diggers, they were privy digging and found an old compass just like that one that sold for 500 bucks!
    Teehee, that reminds me of last year after I'd dewormed our dogs. Having an inquisitive mind, I went to poke around in Silas's turd with a stick to see if any worms came out. There were none, but right next to his poop I found a really neat fossil.

My most ratty piece of equipment is my 23-year old foamie. Apart for the usual camping use, I also slept on it for four years when in university. There's oil smears on it and the dogs took a couple bites out of it when they were little, but I still use it. Almost lost it this spring when I went to visit family in Europe and AirCanada (who else...) managed to lose it somewhere along the way. After a couple of antagonizing days, they luckily located it and I got it delivered by taxi (!) to where I was staying. It was a very, very happy reunion because I refuse to get one of those ThermaRests before my back is totally shot.

Actually, my snowshoes are even more ratty, come to think of it. I bought them 24 years ago in a second hand shop, so not too sure how old they are - they still came with well-worn leather bindings. Have fixed up the rawhide a few times since and my old dog chewed them up pretty good a few years ago, probably thinking they're nice size rawhide treats. Their just the perfect size bearpaws for me.
    Last edited by wildWoman; 07-06-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    Actions speak louder than words