Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had to pick one of these? Ruger1022,Savage Stevens .308, or Maverick88 12ga??

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    ...the Ruger 10/22 either. 10/22 is a fine rifle, but I will not own another one. I hate that the bolt doesn't lock to the rear and you can't drop the mag with your dominate hand while bringing up a new mag with your non-dominate hand. This really kills on reloading during compition as well as speed shooting.

Due to the above, I went with a Remington 597... [because] I can reload quicker with the 597. The 597 also has the bolt stop which is common on most rifles.
    Not arguing with what you've posted here but, I just wanted to point out that these two things would never have occurred to me to care or even think about. Well, maybe I would have thought about the bolt staying open after the last shot but, it sure wouldn't be an absolute deal breaker. I use my 22s for plinking and small game hunting. Fast reloads just aren't an issue; nor really, is an open bolt after the last shot.

If I were recommending a 22 rifle to someone I would never have thought to consider these issues but, if the purchaser was intending to use the gun in competition, he'd likely have been poorly served by my advise. On the other hand, if he's going to use the gun more like I do, then putting too much emphasis on unnecessary features could also result in being steered the "wrong" way.

This just goes to illustrate that you need to evaluate the proposed gun purchase for the things YOU are going to want to do with the gun, not for what others use their guns.

As an aside, I like the Ruger but, I think of it more as a gun for people who plan on investing in a bunch of modifications. As it comes from the factory, at least with the ones I've owned/used, the wood stock is overly large, the trigger is horrible, and the sights (especially if you get one that has the fiber optic front post) leave much to be desired. Fixing these issues costs more $$$.

I would buy one again but, I would know going into it that it would need work.

Lucznik, you are abosolutely right. The Rem 597, I find, is good to go out of the box. The 10/22 needs mods out the wazoo. I like the features mentioned because when you step up to a semi-auto center fire, they have those same features. When he decides to up to a SKS, AK, AR, M1, etc, he will already be accustomed to the bolt locking back and dropping mags with one hand and reloading with the other. As a shooter, I find things to be commonplace and don't buy firearms that are not typical feature wise. It just makes transitioning from one to another that much easier. Not to mention brand new, the 597 is $20 cheaper then the 10/22 and shoots very well out of the box without mods. JMHO when your trying to be thrifty.

Does anyone here recall the Marlin Mod. 60? Plus's Good out of the box, cheap, tough, light weight.Minus's In my book none. I have two of them and the older one(40+ years) still has all it's parts like it came out of the box.

Oldtrap
    Last edited by oldtrap59; 01-10-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Another 22 rifle to look at - and a lot of folks here have/had one - is the Marlin Model 60.

Edit: Oops. Missed your post oldtrap59.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 01-10-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Marlin also has the 795, a detatchable mag version of the 60, and the 39a. Henrys survival rifle may not be the greatest, but thier levers arent too bad. Savage also has a line if 22s. Ive heard Mossbergs were soso/ok...There CZs if you want a nicer bolt action ( these kinda have a rep as a nice shooter), and rugers 77/22.... and there Cricket/Chipmunk, nice little rifle for kids, but they make an adult size iirc...single shot bolt action that one. They're 22s...buy one of each

You can shut down any gun debate by saying "the best gun is the closest one when you really need it fast!!"

He he he snicker snicker ha
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Then look for a good used 10/22. You'll save some money and still have a great firearm.
    you know Rick, in my time working pawn shops and gun stores, I've never seen someone selling a used 10/22. Hmmmm..
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Both of my 10-22s were bought used $40 each. One was from a friend and it looked like it was brand new. The other from a gun shop and the stock was pretty beat up but the action and bore were good. Both have been highly modified to my specs.
    Point of fact, you can get a mag release that will allow you to dump the mag with your dominate/trigger hand. As to the bolt not staying open after the last round.....My HK-91 does the same thing practice, practice, practice and it won't make that big a difference. Some of you have gotten soft and lazy with all the advances in firearms. If you were a lever gun guy or gal, you would know when you ran out of ammo when you dropped the hammer and it went click! Learn your weapon and adapt!!!
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    ..............Some of you have gotten soft and lazy with all the advances in firearms. If you were a lever gun guy or gal, you would know when you ran out of ammo when you dropped the hammer and it went click! Learn your weapon and adapt!!!
    While we don't see it here on this forum, it seems that so many "survivalist" types are learning their firearms tactics and practice from an XBox 360, Nintendo, or Game Boy where their bullet count is displayed on the screen.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Point of fact, you can get a mag release that will allow you to dump the mag with your dominate/trigger hand. As to the bolt not staying open after the last round.....My HK-91 does the same thing practice, practice, practice and it won't make that big a difference. Some of you have gotten soft and lazy with all the advances in firearms. If you were a lever gun guy or gal, you would know when you ran out of ammo when you dropped the hammer and it went click! Learn your weapon and adapt!!!
    Once again, you have to modify it! The 597 you don't. I don't wan't to pay $20 more for a gun and mofidy the crap out of it to do what another gun will do for $20 less out of the box. To me that just is not good logic. If I found a 10/22 for $40, I'd probly buy it just cause myself. As far as firearm advances, the bolt of a M1 Garand locks back after the last shot and I'm pretty sure that was designed well before your HK-91. I also like the bolt locking to the rear after the last shot because that is what an overwhelming majority of semi-autos do. This way when I switch from one to another, the fundamentals are the same. It also requires less motion on the reload. I only have to bump the bolt rearward to put a new round into the chamber in stead of pulling a bolt three inches. Makes things a little quicker, ya know.
    Last edited by natertot; 01-11-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Really bad spelling error!

Sorry I am of biased opinion. I have since age 21 or so been a confirmed 12 gauge guru. I purchased a used Remington 870 the year I got married. I have hunted everything available with it It is my camp gun it goes wherever I go rain shine snow heat cold mud you name it it's been through it for 29 years worth give or take. In all this time with all these variables when I pull this trigger this gun goes bang everytime!
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

Quote Originally Posted by sh4d0wm4573ri7 View Post
    Sorry I am of biased opinion. I have since age 21 or so been a confirmed 12 gauge guru. I purchased a used Remington 870 the year I got married. I have hunted everything available with it It is my camp gun it goes wherever I go rain shine snow heat cold mud you name it it's been through it for 29 years worth give or take. In all this time with all these variables when I pull this trigger this gun goes bang everytime!
    I agree with you 100% This fellow want's to shoot a lot and carry alot of ammo though. 12ga rounds are a bit pricier, and heavier, and take up more room. Because he is a college student with limited funds, the .22 would be better suited for his overall desires.

I believe in the 12ga, especially the 870. I own four of them, one of which is 55 years old, and they always work without fail!

Quote Originally Posted by sh4d0wm4573ri7 View Post
    I have since age 21 or so been a confirmed 12 gauge guru. I purchased a used Remington 870 the year I got married. I have hunted everything available with it It is my camp gun it goes wherever I go rain shine snow heat cold mud you name it it's been through it for 29 years worth give or take. In all this time with all these variables when I pull this trigger this gun goes bang everytime!
    Not sure you quite understand the meaning of the word "guru."

A guru is a person who is regarded (by others) as having great knowledge, wisdom, and authority in a given area. You can rightfully self claim to be an "enthusiast," "aficionado," "devotee," "fan," "fanatic," addict," "adherent," "admirer," or "buff" but only others will decide if you are a "guru." It is not a title one takes upon them-self.

When faced with this dilemma, just do what I do....buy one of each and try them out, of course this might not be a option for everyone.
    But at least you will know what you like....they make brand news .22's everyday, different kinds for different folks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    ...they make brand news .22's everyday...
    Speaking of this, did you see that Ruger has come out with a new .22lr pistol?

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/index.html?r=y

I want one!

Dues this mean I have to remove "guru of the universe" from my resume? I really like that title.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

No, because we gave you that title. It wasn't self-proclaimed.

Just found a bolt hold open device for the 10-22. YES I know it is an accessory but it solves one of the problems some have with the 10-22. Understand, the 597 came out well after the 10-22. As such they incorporated all these goodies in this model. Their older models don't have those modifications.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
    Speaking of this, did you see that Ruger has come out with a new .22lr pistol?

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/index.html?r=y

I want one!
    Yeah, saw them, not really into the new style 'tack" stuff, much.....Besides how many .22's can you use....(Did I just say THAT?)

I'll probably win one at our DU Dinner anyway...........

They are cool looking though, I'll give ya that.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

So to add to the banter as a new guy here on the forum, I am going to go with a different direction. I see the question all the time on other forums out there but the answer really depends on what the SHTF senerio is. In my opinion if the S really HTF there would be all sorts of things going on. If you alrady have a self defence gun, you are good for the short run but eventually there is going to be shortages on everything, especailly ammo. That will probably go first. That beaing said, I dont think people put enough emphasis on pellet guns. If you get a good quality variable pump pellet gun that may be your best friend and eventually be the sole supplier of food for your family. The propellent is free, i.e. air and the ammo is small and cheap and would not be unreasonable to have 1000's of rounds stocked up. Even then if you do run out, far easier to produce than a bullet of any caliber.

Aside from that, I would go with the .22 for all the reasons already posted. lots of practice time, ammo is cheap, can hunt various things and a heck of a good time. I have 2 10-22's and got them both used for under $100. Put several thousand rounds through each and never a problem. Keep looking and you will find them.

Otis