Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had to pick one of these? Ruger1022,Savage Stevens .308, or Maverick88 12ga??

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am changing my recomendation!!!!

This is a survivalist named LIZ!!!!

I take it that means we are dealing with a she/female type person. Nothing wrong with that in the slighest, except that I wish to change my recomendation from 12 guage to 20 guage. I know very few women that enjoy shooting a 12. Heck, I don't even enjoy shooting a 12!

Cheap shooting is not always the answer to everything. Effecient shooting is key. The .22 covers all the requirements of survival only in ones imagination and/or under perfect conditions. Those perfect conditions, or even the less perfect ones, seldom include the need for a gattling gun.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That .40 is a starting point just compliment it.
    "Ms .40, you sure are a good looking weapon." Like that, Rick?
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Life List...... from 1-to-100, not counting what you have.

1. Shotgun 12 or 20 ga.

2. 22 lr...if you drop the tactical price is 1/3 less..$200 bucks

3. 308 (or any long shooting hunting rifle)

4. thru 99 whole lots of other guns.

100 Cabelas Gatling gun made with 2 Ruger 10/22's plus $400 buck worth of stuff to mount them on.....lots of ammo, some noise, fun but little else........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Just thought.....you might want ot check out some gun shows......as they have tables of older .22 bolt guns, single shots, auto loaders, in OK condition for $60 to 100 bucks.
    Older off brand shotguns, 12, 20, and even a few .16 and .410 not too old, but can be had for $75 to $200 bucks.
    Same with bolt rifles/lever guns in hunting calibers, $200 up.......

Now that being said, these are just old fashion hunting, barn and back door guns,..... not tactical, cool, camoed, so might not work for your uses.

I just looked over a collection of these that belonged to a friend that has just passed, along with a dealer friend.......will have several "Table guns' for sale in the $50 to $100 buck range.....Including a sorta rusted Nobel Model 60 12 ga pump...several/lots of .22's and a couple of .410 ga SS and bolt guns.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Just like that!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

ok, I was brought up on using a 22 for small game. Have never used a shotgun for hunting. with a 22, you pretty much take a head shot ot nothing at all. point is, hunting w/ a 22 is fun, but not all that easy.
    Seeing as I dont know what your skill level with a firearm is, (you may have the skill set of a USMC sniper or... not) Id have to agree with Ky and go with the 20 ga shotgun. more margin for error, and better chance of a clean kill with small game.
    Im not sure why you'd want a 308 in town, unless you want to shoot attackers 6 blocks away. 308 on small game wont leave any meat for ya.
    Last edited by CoryD; 01-09-2012 at 08:52 PM.

If I were going to go for the shot gun I'd spend a bit more than 200 bucks and get an 870 for about 350. Or a Mossberg for about 400.

This is the second time today I am agreeing with Rick. Just typing that sentence caused my fingers to bleed !!!!

The .40 will do fine for your self-defense needs, home and abroad. Now you need to decide which of the guns you are wanting is going to literally give you the most "bang for the buck." (pun intended)

Shotguns are nice, but they're expensive to shoot regularly. Even "cheap" shells add up fast when you consider you only get, at most, 25 shells per box - sometimes less. So too the .308. Of course, if you're going to be a big-game hunter, you'll need one or the other.

The .22 is a lot cheaper to shoot and you will become a far better marksman shooting brick after brick of cheap .22 LRs and learning to perfect your fundamentals than you ever will shooting a center-fire gun. The .22 is also a fabulous small game hunting firearm.

If you do decide on the .308, you might want to look at the Remington m700 - which I know can be had at Walmart for under $400. Also, Ruger is right now coming out with a new "All American" rifle that has a MSRP of under $440 and that will almost certainly sell for less in stores. It's supposed to be scheduled to ship to stores in mid-January. They both would be worth at least a look before you settle on the Savage/Stevens.

I'd go with a 12ga, 28" inch barrel with screw in chokes. This will allow perfectly for all game from a squirrel to a deer. Use the .40 for HD. As Rick said, long arms suck inside.

Quote Originally Posted by vahtryn View Post
    If I were going to go for the shot gun I'd spend a bit more than 200 bucks and get an 870 for about 350. Or a Mossberg for about 400.
    An 870 for $350? You are over paying my friend!

The 10/22. You can buy it, a few mags, and 1000 rounds of ammo. As a rifleman, i never support a shotgun as multiuse. It's multiuse like a spork; it's still a spoon trying to be a fork.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I really think you can do better on the prices. A friend of mine just bought a Ruger 10/22 at wally world for 217.95 out the door. shop around , don't buy the first gun you see. their are alot of guns out there.

Thank everyone on their opinions so far. with your help I have been able to put a lil more info on what i want to get.
    To make it clear I am a male college student and work , but I just make enough to pay bills usually. I recently won a 3D animation contest here in denver for $1000 this is how i have a lil extra cash for a new weapon.(after paying some bills) so money is a issue if i want to be able topractice at the range continously and load up on ammo. So out of the recommedations I am leaning towards the .22 simply because of the cost of ammo, and rifle. Glad to be reassured that my 40 will do fine for hd or abroad. Also the facts of how each gun is and can be used is extremely useful.
    The .308 is looking out of place in the city from what ive learned, i mainly saw it as very useful if out of the city so it is not going to get much use for now. Also more expensive for ammo and scope. so thanks to you all I can put this on my wishlist for later.
    The shot gun seems ideal for my situation as well but the ammo prices will get costly if I go to a range often. And hope this first rifle can help me get better with rifles as I have with pistols. And from this post it looks like the .22 matches. with the 12 ga right behind. for the next purchase asap

I was recommened to state my areas of location so it would be easier for advice. I reside in the state of colorado and new mexico since i am a student traveling is a huge issue for multiple reasons. this is why I think of weight and ability carry ammo with me as a factor. If traveling on foot id want to be able to carry as much ammo as possible as ive said before.

Another advantage of the .22, in your situation, is you can afford to practice with it. This is very important.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

If you travel a lot and always want to have it with you, you might look at a Marlin Papoose .22.
    Now some folks will try to sway you towards a Henry survival rifle, but they are far inferior.
    I have worked on Henry's till I'm blue in the face in my gunsmithing business. I turn them away as a rule anymore.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...ding/70pss.asp
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Sounds like a .22 would be better for your overall situation. .22 Rifle was my first gun and they can be versatile. Don't limit yourself to the Ruger 10/22 either. 10/22 is a fine rifle, but I will not own another one. I hate that the bolt doesn't lock to the rear and you can't drop the mag with your dominate hand while bringing up a new mag with your non-dominate hand. This really kills on reloading during compition as well as speed shooting.

Due to the above, I went with a Remington 597. It was my first rifle and had to sell when things got tough. When things got better, I got the 10/22 and disliked which prompted me to trade it straight across for another 597. It is reliable and accurate, no doubt. but not as accurate as a 597 IMO plus I can reload quicker with the 597. The 597 also has the bolt stop which is common on most rifles. This way when you move up to a larger cal semi-auto, you will already be acquainted with the same features.

Other than the 10/22 and 597, are there any other .22 Semi-Auto rifles any one would like to recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post

Other than the 10/22 and 597, are there any other .22 Semi-Auto rifles any one would like to recommend?
    See my above...
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

If this is your first firearm and you are fairly new to firearms, Get the 10-22! Very little recoil (no acquiring of bad/flinch habits), ammo is cheap (which means you can shoot a lot). These both add up to not just "practice makes perfect" but "perfect practice make perfect"
    Lastly the 10-22 cam be highly modified and accurized .
    I know what hunts you.

Then look for a good used 10/22. You'll save some money and still have a great firearm.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.