Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had to pick one of these? Ruger1022,Savage Stevens .308, or Maverick88 12ga??

Default If you had to pick one of these? Ruger1022,Savage Stevens .308, or Maverick88 12ga??

If you had to pick one of these? Ruger1022,Savage Stevens .308, or Maverick88 12ga??
    Need some help deciding on my first rifle purchase. I think of shtf scenerios, home defense, and hunting. Currently working with about $400 and have done lots of reasearch on what I want and these are the three options I am looking at.

.308 option: Savage-Stevens 200 .308 around $320
    .22lr option: Ruger 10/22 Talo tactical rifle around $300
    12 ga option: Maverick 88 8shot around $200

I want something that will be affordable, reliable and useful in any situation. Even though I really want the stevens .308 for big game right now I am leaning towards the ruger 10/22 since its lighter and would be able to take down most game I would encounter in the urban environment I currently reside. Plus the .22 is semiauto and has a high capacity mag where the .308 at MY current price range is bolt action and 4 round mag.

Then there is the 12 ga that is simple and $100 less.

I already own a .40 s&w as my side arm.

Also if there is another reccomendation in my price range that would suite me better Im open to suggestions.
    Any insight would be greatly apprecaited.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Did we do this one yesterday or the day before, or was it last week?

Just remember that you can kill with the shotgun anything you can with both the 10/22 or the .308. Small game with shot, large game with slugs and personal defense with buckshot.

I have known folks that went through life with nothing but a shotgun and did just fine.

I would be the first to say you should have all three, but the shotgun will make a good all around choice while you fill the gaps.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Ruger 10/22. You can do just about anything you could imagine to them. Including putting two together and turning them into a gattling gun with a kit from cabelas. Amazingly cheap to shoot. And extremely accurate with a match grade barrel.

Thanks for the recap. I will look for the other forum talking about this topic.

A gattling gun .22?? for real? That is very interesting and I agree with the cheap to shoot as well. Thanks

Youtube it. I would buy the kit from cabelas if it was legal in my state. Not that a .22 is very intimidating, but I think a gattling gun made of 2 pumping out rounds could fend off a burglar in your house haha.

haha I would agree Not intimidating. But I do like the fact of being able to pump out so many shots in so little time, also with great accuracy since no recoil. thanks

I agree with KY. I'd go with a 12ga, but I prefer a Remington 870. You can get those used for about $250 and they are nearly undestructable. A buddy of mine had a Mav88 and it was just about the sloppiest thing I have ever held. I don't ahve any other experience with the Mav88 other than that. I do own 4 870 though, the oldest made in 1957 and still has all original parts. I would stake my life on them day in and day out.

This is just my opinion based upon my experience.

Thank for the heads up about the mav88, i knew it was affordable but didnt know what to think of quality for long term use. Will keep eye out for 870 prices

Quote Originally Posted by EarthRocks View Post
    Thank for the heads up about the mav88, i knew it was affordable but didnt know what to think of quality for long term use. Will keep eye out for 870 prices
    The maverick 88 is the same as a mossberg 500 for the most part. They just used alot of lower quality parts to make it cheaper and thus more affordable.

I would look for a Rem 870, a mossberg 500, or a mossberg 590. All three can be had for $200-$275 used in varying conditions. I prefer the 870, but nothing wrong with the mossys either.

The M500 is better than the maverick. I can't remember what exactly it was but the mav had something ( I think the slide tube) that was all molded plastic that couldn't be changed. My M500 has never failed me.

Yea i seen that mossberg made the mavericks at the lower priced and figured something was less quality. The mossberg 590 with ghost sights is a beauty

You need to decide What you want your weapon to do. You listed a lot of things but what is you primary need and when will you use it.If funds are limited then buy the tool you need the most. What SHTF scenario are you thinking about? Define your need first then select a tool that will fulfill that need. So far you've said you want a tool to do everything. You won't find that.

There is nothing wrong with the Maverick. I have an 8 shot Security 88 and love it. Most Mossberg accessories fit the Maverick.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks for the slap to reality rick... You have found my problem in deciding which I want. They all have pros and cons. I guess what i want out my first rifle is home defense and ability to hunt small to medium game. Im in Colorado but originally from new mexico so thats the only size game i would need I figure. My SHTF scenerio would be just where my home was in more danger then usual or having to travel through a city environment while in some sort of chaos. SOmething light enough that Its not too much of a hasssle to carry for hundreds of miles but powerful enough to make hunting easier. I have a .40 cal sigma for personal defense once out of a house. Just wondering which of these would be best to purchase first since I would eventually want all three, which would be the best to have from the beginning? Hope this helps clear my question up.

Why wouldn't your .40 be a home defense weapon. Using a weapon inside is a lot different than outside. Hallways and doorways are restricting to a long gun. You need something shorter and something that won't breach your wall and your neighbor's. Hunting small game is a completely different set of requirements.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

.40 is definately home defense. So that narrows it down to a rifle for hunting small to medium size game. the shotgun or .308 can handle all size of game but for carrying on long distances with ammo would the power be worth the extra weight over the 1022?

If you primary role is small game then I'd go with a 12 gauge. You can hunt birds and fur bearers up to deer. You won't carry as much ammo but why do you need to carry a lot?

If I could only have 1 gun, it would be a .22. It will defend the home, cheap to shoot, and can take down deer as long as you know where to hit them. Stockpiling ammo is dirt cheap as well. Get the .22 for now, and the shotgun whenever you can afford it. In an urban environment, a .308 would likely kill neighbors along with the bad guys!

Shotgun is the most versatile gun you listed. Personally, of the guns you listed I wouldn't buy any of them.

Regardless of what people say, a .22 is not the ultimate gun.
    Sure you could kill a deer or use it for home defense. I could also dig a 6x6 trench with a spoon... Doesn't mean it's the right tool.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Think more in terms of what you can use today unless you want to set it in the safe and wait for SHTF. Don't even worry about that when spending limited funds. Buy for what you will use it for now. S may never HTF and if it does you will have to adapt no matter what you have. Obviously, different opinions abound but I would not try to take any large game with 22 nor would I want it for home defense. You can do it but what if you aren't successful? That .40 is a starting point just compliment it.