Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: If you had to pick one of these? Ruger1022,Savage Stevens .308, or Maverick88 12ga??

Your kids are still too young. They don't start eating your brains until they learn to drive.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Your kids are still too young. They don't start eating your brains until they learn to drive.
    You're just all smug, 'cus at your age you don't have enough neurons left firing to attract any attention. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Thanks for the post rick, this looks to be alot better then the release that comes stock.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Of all the calibers out there, I would venture to say that more people shoot a 22LR than any other the most.

I bought my youngest brother a 10/22 rifle many years ago when he turned 13 (he's 40 now lol) and it was one of the most accurate 22LR's I had shot.

I still have my old mossberg target 22LR bolt action, that while heavy is my favorite "squirrel rifle" along with my flintlock .32 caliber.

As far as the mavrick 88's go they are basically a mossberg 500 with synthetic stock. My oldest son loves the short barreled one that holds 6 + 1 in the chamber with about a 18.5 inch barrel. It rides in his weld truck or when he is out around the woods more than most of his other weapons. (well that plus some kind of revolver of the moment).

A 12 gauge is one of the most flexable of firearms out there. Not only bird shot, slugs, and buckshot, but also there are the short "tacticool rounds" with lower recoil. We have reloaded some of these with small shot for hunting squirrels and rabbits etc. (Remember migratory waterfowl the shotty can only hold 3 shells total and the magazine needs a "plug" to restrict it to only 2 shells, plus the one in the chamber. These are easy to put in and remove as needed.)

As for number of shells vs. weight, 25 shells of mixed types is plenty for a long woods loaf. Come the zombie apocalypse maybe more might be desired, but I plan on just sitting as much of that out as I can unless they come to me at my homestead.

For a shotty I strongly reccommend mossy (mavrick) or remington pump.

(Having said that I usually use my old Double 12 that I shortened, added express sights and use Brass shotshells loaded up with slugs to play that I have a double rifle for hog and deer hunting here in Alabama.)

For a long range weapon capable of taking game up to moose and elk, nothing more than a .308 or 30 06 is necessary, and there are any number of other options.

As a fan of military surplus bolt action rifles I really love the 03A3 springfields in 30 06, but for economy nothing beats a Mosin Nagant in 7.62 x 54R. It gives similar ballistics and cost runs around $100 for one. For a bit more one can obtain a mauser in 8mm or a SMLE in .303 british that also are fine with hunting bullets for any game up to moose / elk size. More than fine for deer etc, and all are solid 500 yard performers with tweaking.

A search for military surplus or Curio & Relic firearms will link you to any number of companies that sell military surplus weapons, or a visit to a local firearms store will probably yeild a lot to look at.

If one wanted an economical .308 semi-auto the Sagia's might serve and run around $400ish.

For a very accurate, excellent trigger bolt action the Savage 110 with acu-triggers are some of the best bang for the buck IMHO.

Remember if you want to put glass (rifle scope) on a rifle, that really good ones can cost as much as the rifle, and one definitely wants a dependable scope, and IMHO the rifle should also have back up iron sights in case the scope does go fugazi.

So a reasonable battery of four do it all survivalist type firearms would be

1. A handgun in a effective caliber, type of your choice
    2. A 22LR for all the utility and cost effectiveness it offers
    3. A centerfire rifle capable of taking the largest game one might encounter, action determined by anticipated needs. (remember we don't have military logistics, so fighting a war with resupply isn't really a simple thing if TEOTWAWKI is of concern. More Shoot, scoot, run and hide is what a survivalist would do IMHO / YMMV)
    4. A shotgun (probably a 12 gauge pump) for all that shotty goodness it offers.

Remember that in addition to each weapon you need the accouterments to run that weapon system. Things like holsters, slings, scopes, cleaning supplies, cases, and Ammo.

Also a means of carrying ammo in quantities to meet anticipated needs.

Reloading is a option that also might be of value, and is a whole other area.

Anyway I have rambled on enough, so I'll end for now.

Thad.

^^^^^^^^^
    I'd say that pretty much covers it lol.

What do you all think about a lever action .22? Or is that too old school for a survival rifle?

I have always thought, that if I could only have one gun, it would be a bolt action .22. I actually enjoy knowing that I normally have 1 shot to make the kill. And with enough practice, that is normally all it takes.
    A bolt action .22, that will shoot .22 shorts, longs, and long rifles, would be especially nice for living in the city. The shorts will kill just about any yard critter, and the report is very low.
    I have a little Marlin XT-22 with a Nikon scope, and it is very versital, and plenty accurate. It is tube feed and it holds more ammo than a 10/22, it is more accurate than a stock 10/22, it only cost $200, and it shoots 3 different cartriges.
    I have killed more food critters with a .22 than any other caliber, and never had a problem being able to hit them with 1 shot. I had my 11 year old grandson out shooting yesterday, and he was shooting my XT-22. He was only shooting a paper target, but if he had of been after squirrels or rabbits, those critters would have been in real trouble.
    I think the bolt action .22 should be everybody's first gun, and depending on who they are, and what they hunt, it may be the only gun they would ever really need.
    I wouldn't hunt deer or any large game with a .22, but in a survival situation, I know without a doubt that a .22 will take deer, just ask any poucher! I knew a poucher in Oklahoma that killed deer almost daily with a .22 rifle. He used a Marlin model 60 tube feed, and rarely if ever lost a deer.
    I love many types and calibers, and own more guns that I probably need, but I enjoy shooting my .22's more than most of my other guns.
    I agree with several others, that 10/22's are good rifles if you like to modify and start changing a bunch of stuff as soon as you get the rifle, but a good bolt action is pretty much perfect right out of the box. All you need is a good scope!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That depends on your definition of "perfect" WT. A Kimber, CZ or an old Anschutz sporter may be pretty near "perfect" but most low priced .22 rifles need lots of TLC in order to come close to "acceptable" in trigger, fit and accuracy.

I always wind up putting so much time and workinto the cheap guns trying to bring them up to snuff that I would have been better off just buying a top line rifle to start with.

Their saving grace it that they are better than nothing, parts are plentiful and many have a good reliability reputation.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    That depends on your definition of "perfect" WT. A Kimber, CZ or an old Anschutz sporter may be pretty near "perfect" but most low priced .22 rifles need lots of TLC in order to come close to "acceptable" in trigger, fit and accuracy.

I always wind up putting so much time and workinto the cheap guns trying to bring them up to snuff that I would have been better off just buying a top line rifle to start with.

Their saving grace it that they are better than nothing, parts are plentiful and many have a good reliability reputation.
    Well I must have got lucky, because my little XT-22 shot good right out of the box, and all I had to do is scope it. Ths iron sights were junk, but I wasn't going to use them anyway.
    It has the Pro Fire trigger and has a nice light pull, feels like an accutrigger! The fit and finish is plenty good enough for what I am going to do with the rifle.
    It's not a CZ or an Anchutz, but for $200 bucks, it is a nice little gun!

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^
    I'd say that pretty much covers it lol.

What do you all think about a lever action .22? Or is that too old school for a survival rifle?

I love marlin 39a and have shot a few henry 22Lr's. Nice both of em.

I think lever action rifles in general are wonderful weapons. I have a lot of marlins in lots of calibers
    22LR, 357 mag/38special , 41 mag, 44 mag (still want one in 45 LC) 45 /70, 30/30,

I also have a winchester 1886 in 45 /70 that I really like and an 1895 in 30 06 that I like.

Id like to get a model 71 or 88 winchester but so far no joy on those

The Savages are wonderful as are the brownings if you want powerful cartridges in the 308 range and to use spire point boolets.

I'd say a lever action is fine for both 22 an centerfire calibers.

A solid 336 marlin in 30 30 can do about any thing I want to do, paired with a 39a in 22LR for small game and a good handgun and it is a good set up. Or get a 44 mag in revolver and lever and one cartridge fits both your hand and long gun. Same for 22 hand and long gun.

I like lever action rifles a lot! I want a .357 lever action carbine to go along with my Colt .357 pistol. Lever action rifles are also known as the cowboy assult rifle, and is second only to the semi auto and full auto rifles when it comes to spittin lead!

So now how many picked a .22?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Lemme see now. 2 guzzinta..then you got your prime number...plus the square root being an irrational number. Yep. lever actions would be THIRD right behind semi autos and and full autos. It goes 1, then 2, then 3 and so on.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Wildthang.......I have that combo but my revolvers are rugers. Once you get a 357 lever you'll most likely fall in love.

As far as a 1st rifle purchase, i'd go with the .22. Aside from bb guns that was my first. 30 years later it is still my most shot caliber. Works for most critters, works best with smaller ones. And most of the time when you feel the need to burn some ammo, a few hundred .22 rounds followed by 20-50 rounds of bigger rifle satisfies my needs plinking.

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    Wildthang.......I have that combo but my revolvers are rugers. Once you get a 357 lever you'll most likely fall in love.

As far as a 1st rifle purchase, i'd go with the .22. Aside from bb guns that was my first. 30 years later it is still my most shot caliber. Works for most critters, works best with smaller ones. And most of the time when you feel the need to burn some ammo, a few hundred .22 rounds followed by 20-50 rounds of bigger rifle satisfies my needs plinking.
    When I take my varmint gun to the range, I plink with a .22 in between barrel cool downs. I actually enjoy shooting the .22 as much as the varmint gun. For some reason I would like to have a short carbine lever gun with the big hoop, dont ask me why, but that rifle just looks cool. I dont know how practical the large loop lever is, but I like the way it looks!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 04-04-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthRocks View Post
    If you had to pick one of these? Ruger1022,Savage Stevens .308, or Maverick88 12ga??
    Need some help deciding on my first rifle purchase. I think of shtf scenerios, home defense, and hunting. Currently working with about $400 and have done lots of reasearch on what I want and these are the three options I am looking at.

.308 option: Savage-Stevens 200 .308 around $320
    .22lr option: Ruger 10/22 Talo tactical rifle around $300
    12 ga option: Maverick 88 8shot around $200

I want something that will be affordable, reliable and useful in any situation. Even though I really want the stevens .308 for big game right now I am leaning towards the ruger 10/22 since its lighter and would be able to take down most game I would encounter in the urban environment I currently reside. Plus the .22 is semiauto and has a high capacity mag where the .308 at MY current price range is bolt action and 4 round mag.

Then there is the 12 ga that is simple and $100 less.

I already own a .40 s&w as my side arm.

Also if there is another reccomendation in my price range that would suite me better Im open to suggestions.
    Any insight would be greatly apprecaited.
    Perhaps we did not choose properly or swiftly enough? Earth Rocks has not posted for over a year now. It seems he disapeared soon after this decision and I fear he might have actually listened to one of these ill conceived thought processes!

Thing is, I own each of the items he listed and can attest that none of them are top choice even in their geniere!

He was last on in February this year so he hasn't shot himself....yet.

I would appear that even a straight forward, specific, question refering to 3 named and specfic firearms...."What is your choice, A.B,or C?"

...is like throwing out the opinion bomb...LOL, I should go back and see how many different calibers, makes, models, and configurations were actually refered to in this thread....with out really giving a straight answer....

Naw, to heck with it.....was kinda fun to see what y'all came up with.....
    Carry on
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If I was buying my first rifle, it would be a .22 rifle! Not necessarily a 10/22 though!

Well Hunter, you got your information posters and you got your opinion givers.

Information posters are required to actually own a gun and to have possibly shot it more than once so they can at least say "it kicks" or "it's accurate" or "I would buy another one".

Your information givers can do so after visiting a pawn shop and their posts usually go "It feels good in your hands" or "I like the way it looks" preceeded by other statements that begin with "It should...."

As it turns out I happen to have all three on the list and I can honestly say that I would have to look at the situation before I grabbed one of the three. I am not hunting squirrels with the .308 under normal circumstance and I am not chasing bad guys with the 10/22 and 200 yard shots with the Maverick 88 are out of consideration.

From there it simply falls under the consideration of what will be you most needed firearm.

One thing I can say is that Earth Rocks is paying WAAAAAAY too much for his guns!

Well thanks guys for giving advice even when I was not around. I appreciate all the information that was useful and not useful. Alot of the information made me second guess my second guesses and I appreciate this site and its members. I wish I knew where all the good gun prices where hiding, Ive been searching locally and findings everything overpriced. I still plan to keep shopping and looking into the coming up gun shows for my next purchases.

My decision has been made, and I have placed my order with Buds for my Ruger 10/22 Model 1287 for $350 including my FFL transfer fee. This was one of my orginal choices and I watched this gun's price slowly go up, and then go out of stock multiple times. (Gun went to VIP member only a day after I ordered, and was sold out three days later) I searched locally for a basic 10/22 NEW, and found them for $200, and then researched all the parts the MODEL 1287 comes with for their individual prices and found it was much cheaper to purchase the gun as this kit then build it myself. I wasnt sure if it was overpriced, but once talking to others who purchased 10/22's from my hometown I realized my deal wasnt so bad after all. I paid $329 while my buddy paid $300 for the standard 10/22. Realizing this, I placed the order last friday, and expecting it thursday.

I felt it was alot to spend on a .22, but it came with parts that I would of ordered anyways.
    I went ahead an ordered another bx-25 round ruger mag.

Now that I have my 22 to make my day at the range affordable, I can start practicing, practicing, practicing.
    I have already saved another $300 and plan to attend local gunshows and make my local gunshop area larger and go a little further.
    I will be looking to get a 12 gauge next for large game protection while out camping.
    And then work my way to a centerfire rifle while shooting cheap 22 ammo as often as possible.

I again want to thank everyone who has posted information so far. It all has been invaluable for a rifle rookie like myself. I will post a pic as soon as it is home.