Thread: Found an Axe

Default Found an Axe

I was camping in the Superstitions last week and came upon this old Axe head, it is a Plumb Boy Scout Axe. I put a new handle on it today and removed all the rust. Does anyone know roughly how old this is? I am also interested in quality and value of this piece. I plan on making it my standard carry when backpacking. thanks for any help! It was completely rusted out when I found it.

I am also new to this forum and really enjoy a lot of the helpful info get off this site.

thanks,
    Kevin

Forgot the picture!

Axe 005.jpg

Price wise not much.You can buy them mint for $45 or so. Age 1940-50 time frame. Nice looking head. Glad to see an old horse get a new life.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Axe Head

Thanks for the info, time frame was really what I was looking for. I didn't think it was that old!. Now I just need to get a good edge on it.

They changed the Boy Scout emblem on those but I don't know when. Yours has the full emblem. They also stamped them without the outer circle, just the inner crest. I saw quite a few when I was a kid but none recently. I never owned one but several guys in my troops had them. I had a small camp axe but don't know the kind or what happened to it. I don't know when they stopped making them either. Could have been 60's but I do know they were made in 40's & 50's.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nice looking AX!
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

good looking axe

That is a pretty cool find. Definitely will make a good conversation piece when packing it.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

The funny thing was is that I actually found it over a year ago originally, I was backpacking with my son and picked it up but at the time didn't have any interest. Now that I am more into bushcraft than ultra light hiking I went and looked for the tree I tossed it under. So I guess it has even that much more meaning to it. Now I just have to practice getting a good edge on it. I picked up the handle for 7.00 at Ace Hardware here in Arizona. I will definitely be packing it for now on. I purchased a cheap OD green sheath from Rothco last night, I hope it fits decent.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hike500 View Post
    Thanks for the info, time frame was really what I was looking for. I didn't think it was that old!. Now I just need to get a good edge on it.
    Whaduyamean OLD!!!! That's not old. I still have origional gear I bought as a kid that's older than that. Some of my newer stuff was bought in the 60s and 70s!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

hopefully no offense taken Kyrat! It's funny I have spent most of my life trying to buy the latest and newest and now its the oldest that gets most of my attention. Also, I am from Columbus. Everything gets there about 12 years late!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hike500 View Post
    hopefully no offense taken Kyrat! It's funny I have spent most of my life trying to buy the latest and newest and now its the oldest that gets most of my attention. Also, I am from Columbus. Everything gets there about 12 years late!
    It's very difficult to offend me, espically over camping gear.

I live south of the River, over in the "promised land". We have a lot of people that have moved here from Ohio. They say it is a good place to be FROM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Besides.....Kyrat has underwear as old as that axe you found.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Besides.....Kyrat has underwear as old as that axe you found.
    That's underwear? I thought that was char-cloth!

Hate to waste anything glad you found it and gave it new life
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

I just ordered a new sheath for it yesterday, I finally got a decent edge on it and want to keep it that way. Also, does Kyrat offer good deals on char-cloth?
    Here is the sheath.
    https://secure.armysurplusforless.co...iew.php?id=776