Thread: What is ALICE's hardware made of?

Default What is ALICE's hardware made of?

Does anyone know what metal was used to make the hardware on ALICE packs?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Steel.

A medium alice with bag, frame, straps and belt weighs 8 pounds empty.

It was never designed as a backpacking tool. It was designed as an item a GI could not tear up.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thanks Kyratshooter..

That's generally true even for reproduced items. However, be advised, the quality and grades of steel used in reproduction Alice gear can vary greatly from the original gear produced for the U.S. military.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yep, steel.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Steel.

A medium alice with bag, frame, straps and belt weighs 8 pounds empty.

It was never designed as a backpacking tool.
    Amen, Bruddah! The ALICE pack was designed to be worn in addition to the basic patrol gear (web belt, butt pack, canteens, ammo pouches, what-have-you). That means the ALICE pack frame's "backband" hits you at, or just slightly above, the kidneys. (They didn't call 'em "Kidney Killers" for nothing, you know...) It also means that the "waist belt" only keeps the pack from bouncing too much -- it bears almost none of the weight.

Look at the file footage of large-unit combat troops bound for duty in The Sand Box, most of whom are carrying ALICE packs. That pronounced, forward-leaning stance proves that nearly all the weight is being borne by their shoulders and upper back.

By contrast, a well-designed and -fitted modern backpacking rig transfers almost all of the weight to the hips. This greatly reduces the risk of neck/shoulder/back injury, and allows the user to stand (nearly) erect. Because of my old neck/shoulder/back injuries, I usually adjust my rigs so that the only purpose served by the shoulder straps is to keep the rig from falling backwards.

My "modern" rig can't do much for my old hip, knee and ankle injuries, of course, but about the only thing I can do about them (short of extensive surgery) is to stay home. Not my idea of fun.

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 05-21-2012 at 05:38 PM.

I changed the kidney pad and shoulder straps out to Molle straps and my large Alice sits squarely on my hips with very little weight on my shoulders. The extra padding all around is nice, too. On the pack, meatball. Padding on the pack. Sheesh.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.