Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The lowly candle...

Hunter, ever give sulfur a try? it works better than wax.

Many, many years ago I worked on a dive platform that was used to work on Submarine sonar transducers while the ship was alongside the pier. This saved a whole lot of time and $$$ if you had to change out a transducer - before this platform, you had to drydock the ship. Anyway...........we had entirely too much lead ballast on it when we started. We removed about 2500 lbs of lead (100 lb bars). Had I known then what I know now........ I did snag one bar and poured my own dive weights.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

LOL, yeah well I used to buy truck loads 40k pounds at a time for use in a wire heat treating operation.

Packed at 5k pounds at a time in 100 lb pigs....used to grab a couple of them for 'winter weight" for the back of my van.
    Bring them back in the spring.

If I would have know that they were gonna close the plant I would have "borrowed" a whole lot more stuff.

100 lb bars are really a PITA to break/cut/saw off a small enough piece to get into a small melt pot.....and as we had a furnace the was 12 ft long, 30" wide and 18' deep with molten lead in it at all times...most everyone jusr dropped off their mold with the operator, and pick up their whatever at the end of the shift.

Randyt, no I haven't had any since I used it all up from mt youthful chemistry set....so if I come across some I'll give it a try.......candles ends I got, sulfur I don't....yet.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I had them cut at work in the machine shop with a friction bandsaw. I melted the lead in a cast iron pan over my Coleman Peak One stove. Molds were borrowed from the dive shop. I think I still have a lot of those weights around.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Lead = bullets, and of course dive weights, fishing sinkers.

My wife uses candles to remind me its our anniversary, I come home they are lit and the kids are gone I'm in trouble.
    "The sky's blue, water's wet, and sh&t happens." Bruce Willis The Last Boy Scout

"I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes. If you F*#& with me. I'll kill you all."
    USMC Gen. James Mattis to Iraqi tribal leaders

Man, you young guys are lucky us old guys are around. Hide the candles. When she asks if you know where they are you'll know it's your anniversary. Simple. But I would never forget. I'm trained better than that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have our anniversary programmed into my phone. It starts letting me know one week prior!

Jeez guys...
    Just tattoo the date around your ring finger--the part that's not covered by the ring.
    Problem solved, in more ways than one, if you know what I mean.

Hey, glad you brought that up, the "adversity date", I mean "anniversary".... LOL this Friday....on the 13th Actually pretty easy to remember,... Fri. the 13th......40 something or other....anyway, long time......guess I better start thinking about it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Hey, glad you brought that up, the "adversity date", I mean "anniversary".... LOL this Friday....on the 13th Actually pretty easy to remember,... Fri. the 13th......40 something or other....anyway, long time......guess I better start thinking about it, right?
    Nah, why do today what can be put off till tomorrow?!

Oh Shut, that IS tomorrow......Oh well...

My wife has our marriage certificate framed. If I miss our anniversary I’m dead meat.

Good for fixing holes in canoes, also need a little duct tape.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I was in a hardware type store one day and at the checkout there was a box of candles labeled "survival Candles" priced at one dollar apiece. I burst out laughtng. I had just seen the same candles in the stores plumbing section labeled plumbers candles for 50 cents apiece. Always check alternate sources fot things you wish to buy.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I buy up ten packs of 8 hour plain white candles at the dollar store. Have a whole box full.

ETA: ;mean I have a large box with a bunch of the packages of 10 8 hour candles, not just a box of ten. you can never have to many candles and if you keep em cool they pretty much just wait around till needed unless some rodent gets at em but that hasn't happened to the store bought ones, maybe they don't taste right to the little pests? Or the cat is doing its job well.
    They work fine. I set one in a tuna can and on the mantle when the power goes off, saves lighting up a kerosine lamp or the colman if it is late and I just need a night light to move around.

I have been carrying a candle and matches or a bic in a baggie since I they started making baggies .

I remember how much better a peanut butter sandwich was when Mom switched to those fold over the top baggies to replace wrapping em in a piece of newspaper. Of it lucky wax paper or maybe aluminumn foil. (had to save the foil and not tear it to reuse later or I got in trouble.)

I used to think stale was normal for bread. and that the only soft bread was fresh baked out of the oven. (bread was wraped in a towel and set in a bread box.

Man ya'll don't know how much nice plastic was and is to keeping stuff fresh.

Back to candles /wax. I always had to walk up to the general store and buy wax for canning time. I think they called it golf or gulf wax, but it was parafin for sealing up jars and such.

Bees wax was used for special things and we kids were not allowed to mess with Mom's supply.

The old feller who gave us that, and now his son still trade me honey for stuff, and come get any swarms I have on the place. I'm gonna miss it when he quits keeping bees.
    Last edited by Thaddius Bickerton; 04-22-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Thaddius Bickerton

Citronela candles are suppose to repel skeeters!

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Hunter, ever give sulfur a try? it works better than wax.
    Well I didn't have any, wax works OK, and I had that.......so on with the show.....LOL