Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: antibiotic ointment

Default antibiotic ointment

Recently I read a pamphlet written by mors kochanski regarding a first aid kit. He recommends a antibiotic ointment that can be used as a topical for cuts and such but also for the eyes. Any thoughts on a brand that is this versatile? I found nothing at the local pharmacy.

I had to use some in my horses eye, the key word is Ophthalmic. Stuff worked a miracle on my horses eye.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I use Neosporin. Another popular choice is Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Both should be available in your local grocery store/pharmacy/WalMart...
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Some Ophthalmic ointment is by prescription only. You can get veterinary stuff at the Farmer's CO-OP (at least around here). You might also look in the hunting dog section of your local sporting goods store (this is where I picked up my wound stapler). Or you can ask your DR. to prescribe some for you. Mine is pretty good about prescribing some items, so I can stock a back-country kit.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

thanks for the comments, it gives me some ideas to look into.

Don't put any antibiotic in your eyes unless it states ophthalmic. Self treating the eyes can have some pretty bad results like blindness. Antibiotics only treat bacteria and there is a host of ailments of the eye unrelated to bacteria.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I get my medical supplies from a medical supply company. I have staplers, saline IVs and the spike kits. I also get the cathaters I use to clear the tear ducts on the horses. I use the saline IVs to clean cuts on both the horses and people. I have also used it to wash unknown stuff from eyes. I find the spike kits work well because you can use the same IV for a long period of time. I NEVER use the IVs as IVs only saline washes!
    If you always do what you've always done...
    You'll always get what you've always gotten.

No matter where you go...
    there you are.

Why do you carry a stapler? Are you trained in their use?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

thanks for the comments. I won't be putting any medicine in my eyes unless it's specifically made for that use. I hoping to find a ointment that will muster double duty, eyes and cuts.

My vet showed how to use the staples because I had a horse that was either really acceident prone or just wanted me to pay for the vet's new Ford Navigator in record time. It is not ideal for all locations on a horse but it did help cut the vet costs. A single callout with just a few stitches would average 150 to 200 dollars. I guess I haven't done too bad the old man lived to be 28. My present horse is not as cowy and doesn't get too many cuts or scrapes.
    I also found I can use staples alot easier than trying to stitch a cut.
    If you always do what you've always done...
    You'll always get what you've always gotten.

No matter where you go...
    there you are.

This does not relate to something to use for your eyes but it is an antibiotic that can serve a dual purpose. We carry Neosporin Plus pain relief. It's an antibiotic and topical anesthetic. We've used the anesthetic several times for non-cut issues. For example, when my wife suffered poison ivy and we had nothing else, the Neosporin's pain reliever helped. Helped when I was stung by a yellow jacket and had no Benedryl. I also apply it to a wide area before I have blood drawn (thyroid problem) or get an IV (IV Vitamen C for infections).

Tea Tree oil!
    I'll confess I'm fed up with chemicals. I have adopted the "if you can't pronounce the word DON'T eat it philosophy" of food ingredient labels. Ihave now expounded that to what I put on (or referring to a cut- IN) my skin- the largest organ of the body. We are surrounded by and wrapped in plastics. All man made chems.
    Our food is wrapped in plastic or at least put in a plastic refrigerator. Our vehicles, even our homes are lined in plastics.

I mean if I MUST use a chem I will, but where there's an option- and if you do your home work you more times than not will have an option- use "God made" instead of man made.

On the Antibiotic ointment note- Tea Tree oil kicks it's butt. And it's multi use. A few drops in water makes for (astringent) mouth wash. Same makes a good solution to plunk your tooth brush head down in to kill bacteria in betwixt uses. On & on. Oh and as an "antibiotic ointment?"

Tea tree oil is: (wikipedia) Tea tree oil has been scientifically investigated only recently. Some sources suggest beneficial medical properties when applied topically, including antiviral,[7] antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic qualities. It also has beneficial cosmetic properties.[8]
    Tea tree oil is active against Staphylococcus aureus, including MRSA.[9] Tea tree oil is less successful for application in the nose.[10] Also, there is clinical evidence that topical dermatological preparations containing tea tree oil may be more effective than conventional antibiotics in preventing transmission of CA-MRSA.[11]
    Recent studies support a role for the topical application of tea tree oil in skin care and for the treatment of various diseases and conditions. Tea tree oil appears to be effective against bacteria, viruses, fungal infections, mites such as scabies, and lice such as head lice. A 2008 study of in vitro toxicity showed a tea tree oil preparation was more effective against head lice than permethrin, a popular pharmaceutical remedy.[12]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_tree_oil

A basic article:
    http://homemade-remedies.com/tea-tre...-a-bottle.html

So take out your tube of neosporin and (try to) read the ingredients. Skin is the largest organ- I'm not smearing all that junk into my skin. When there's a "God-Made" option down at walmart (in a GLASS bottle. Ha!)

I'm now researching into it's use for eye ailments. Unknown territory...
    Last edited by TresMon; 01-09-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Thanks TresMon. I've got some tea tree oil in the house (recommended for nail fungus) but I had no idea it had so many uses. Got me thinking about hyour "God made" idea for a FAK.

Why the need for one ointment that does everything?
    There's an old saying about a pig that gives milk and has wool, to the effect that it does none of these well...

If my memory serves (it ain't what it use to be) it seems that tea tree oil suppresses testosterone. I've read that in my research, now to remember where. May or may not be a issue for some folks.

Some of you probably already know this, but honey is a wonderful treatment for cuts, plus you can eat it as well. I carry a small plastic jar of honey in my bug out bag and less of the man made ointments.

There is no panacea. No one antibiotic will work on all bacteria. However, look for a triple anti-biotic ointment or one that says broad spectrum to cover both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. Just recognize that you could be dealing with bacteria that is resistant to drugs or where different strains are present.

I have no problem with natural remedies just realize, too, that drugs were developed because nothing natural worked as a treatment for a given disease. That's why life expectancies were in the 30's at one time. The best method is to use whatever works whether it is natural or not.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    If my memory serves (it ain't what it use to be) it seems that tea tree oil suppresses testosterone. I've read that in my research, now to remember where. May or may not be a issue for some folks.
    Yes, massive quantities of TTO caused a guy or two to suffer really low testosterone. A typical dude would like have to consume enough of it for it to really harm him overall- to the point of low testosterone being irrelevant at that point. Don't let these really extreme isolated fringe cases rob you of a really good herb. On that same note- Soy products increase estrogen in females & males. no body talks about it because it is so mild it's medically considered a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The best method is to use whatever works whether it is natural or not.
    I have to disagree with you. I stand by "strive to go with God made first, however if you must okay, take the man made chemicals."
    Case point- typical symptom of heavy overdose with pharmaceuticals is death or near death having been saved by EMS. Typical symptom of heavy overdosed herb is explosive diarrhea.

I just no longer have the faith that taking a chemical that will kill you dead as a hammer if you take to much of it, is truly safe much less healthy if taken at "normal dosing." To me it is no different than life after nuclear war & it's associated fall out. Yes you can take up to a certain level of radiation exposure per day and not die. Well, I'm not interested in the "not die" end of things. I'm interested in vibrant health.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    just realize, too, that drugs were developed because nothing natural worked as a treatment for a given disease. That's why life expectancies were in the 30's at one time.
    I agree there are times and situations when you HAD BETTER take the chem drugs. I'm not a nut job. But do know that many of the big name sicknesses, plagues etc where being cured/healed with herbs back in the 50's & 60's. Gonorrhea comes to mind but there's many others. Sadly at the same time the man made super drugs were coming on the scene.

Well, you can't patent a plant or tree from which the herbal med comes from. But you can patent a man made compound, and thus the pharmaceutical company can make billions off of it. Follow the money!
    Last edited by TresMon; 01-09-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I do like neosporin. As far as an "ointment" for my eyes, my eye doc recommended Systane.

(The expression I was trying to remember: Eierlegende Wollmilchsau)

tresmon - You are more worried about money than health. I don't care how much the pharma company makes. It has no bearing, none, if they have what i need to cure me. For every disease you site that herbs cure I'll name two they don't. At least I'm willing to look at herbs if they might work. There is nothing better for poison ivy than jewel weed. But i use chemicals when needed. And your God made reference is misguided. I was given a brain and intellect to use. You cannot tell me penicillin derived from bread mold was not a gift just because a man discovered what was already there. That is true of every single drug "invented". It is there for us to find.

"Case point- typical symptom of heavy overdose with pharmaceuticals is death or near death having been saved by EMS. Typical symptom of heavy overdosed herb is explosive diarrhea."

That's not true and you know it. Herbs are medicine. The side effects can run the very same gambit as any medicine. Allergic reactions,toxicity and even long term addiction are just as possible with herbs as with pharma created meds.

"But do know that many of the big name sicknesses, plagues etc where being cured/healed with herbs back in the 50's & 60's."

They did not treat or cure malaria, pertussis, whooping cough, influenza, rubella, scarlet fever, chicken pox, small pox, mumps, and the list goes on. Those were all prevalent in the 40's and 50's. Millions died because of them and only the advent of vaccinations and modern meds have gained a handle on them.