Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trip wire bow trap.

I first saw this Trap in a Survival book I borrowed from my school library. It always intrigued me. I'm going to go and make one (as you have done, just for practice). There is many factors with this. As you said
    .Trip-wire height. Angle of arrow for desired impact. Draw weight....etc

If I used TresMon's idea, I'd use a bowline on the running end and any kind of loose loop around the anchor tree so the bowline would just get tighter around the neck and the anchor end would just spin around the tree.

Banned

I don't see much benefit in this technology for the reasons already stated. Additionally, I suspect that a crude bow would develop a memory when kept in a drawn configuration for any length of time, making the projectile somewhat slower when/if tripped.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The trip-wire bow does not have to be good, it just has to be there. They are really terror weapons intended to put fear in the people that find them and not necessarily to catch or kill game.

"Back in the day" the points of the arrows were smeared with cow manure to insure blood poisoning if even a scratch was inflicted.

If you are in escape mode and leave these on your trail you will slow down pursuit a good deal. Lord help you if they catch you though!

There have been reports of their use around pot farms and meth labs in my region. Also the use of trebble hooks strung in the trees and other equally devious inspirations.

Who have you guys been hanging out with anyway?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

What he said ^

Nam traps weren't meant to kill bunches of people, but after seeing what they did to one would make you think twice about where you walked....

04-29-62
    not quite the middle of nowhere-but you can see there from here

Just wanted to add my 2cents worth about deer snares- when Iwas a kid we used 'em to protect the garden, grand dad used thin piano wire hooked to a T fencepost: wasn't un usual to find 1 with it's head cut almost off by the wire.(kinda like a cheese slicer)