Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wall tent life?? Experiences? Advice? Tips, Tricks? Cook/camp stove help?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    Or maybe convert an old school bus, you can find them pretty cheap and they make pretty cool hunting camps. I think I saw one a while back for like $400....
    You have driven by the guy I'm talking about......he was living in a bus till the big floods wash right thru it.....Then moved to the yurt (sorta), then I gave him the trailer.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

This was kinda funny with the for sale sign out front....."Survival shelter for sale, needs a little TLC"

This was at "The Place' where we used it as a hunting/recreation camp for a lot of years......Original cost was $400 in 1992

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Default The Sibley

I always got raised eyebrows. Not mine, but I always called it the Sibley. The friend that owns it has never understood why. I know this thing has made 40 trips around the sun, and it was bought surplus before that. Easy to heat, but F.A.R.T. when farts were cool. lol Never had a wood burner, just propane or coleman fuel. I spent all of my initial highland buck hunting out of it. I'll get to the other "walls" shortly. I had a big post to crash, I'm on the road, so I'm posting in segments.

"They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Ha!! When I was a kid my buddy's dad had one of those. I don't know if he snagged it from WWII (he served in the Pacific) or where he got it but it was set up in his back yard. Man, the good times we had playin' in that thing. Thanks for the memories. Those came back like a flood. Sadly, my friend is now gone but he lives on in my memory.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Small

Small was the big time. With a swingin' door, liner extended to the floor, and two vestibules, we were in heaven. Please forgive the sags, there is not a flat piece of ground in WV.

That one is pretty cool!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Default Small Suared

Movin' on up as they say.

Tie two together. The front is kitchen/den/dining. The rear is sleeping/meditation/farts. Gas heat in the rear, wood heat in the front. As`I said, We extended the liners to the floor. We set my wife and her machine inside and rotated the liner around her. That made one heck of a difference in fuel consumption.

Holly Cow! You had a room for us? We didn't even know about it or we'd have been right over. Did you have beer and bacon? If you had beer and bacon most of the F.A.R.T.s will be upset to know they didn't get invited over. You might want to keep that to yourself.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Holly Cow!
    And we've only made it to about 1985.

Default Medium

Is the Taj Mahal. The picture doesn't do it justice, but stage center with the smoke stack. Stage right is of course a small, stage left is the infamouus "box".

Hehehe.....you said gas heater in the rear. Well duh!!!!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

As I have said, I'm out of town and the wife is scanning photos for me. I'll stop here for a few for two reasons:

1. I'm out of pics

2. I need to address TresMons initial questions.

Hunter brings up a very good point, and if you want me to, I can venture down that path. (Hard Sides)

To the initial question:

It's gonna take a lotta wood. Two acres ain't gonna do it, dead/dying/diseased for walking distance ain't gonna do it. Gas is too many Georges. That's with the tent on the ground, flaps ballasted, liner to the ground, and leave litter thrown to the outside for insul. These things are temp. Now I'm talking November in the WV highlands, 20s F of the night, rarely but 0 F sometimes. You can stay comfortable, but IT TAKES A LOTTA WOOD. Barrel stove, one of the small ones, 30 gal? Weld a flat plate on top to cook off of.

The biggest maintenance problem is with the base flaps, either rot or ice. Rot if you let them lay too long. Ice is a problem if you bug out with them froze.

I've never stayed in one with an elevated platform, but can't imagine how you would seal the floor draft. But on bare ground, it does dry within 48 hours if you ventilate and heat it.

UV I only know second hand, I watched one dry rot over the period of three years in direct sunlight (no forest canopy or maintenance).

Great stuff thanks! Nice pics! Thanks to everyone who has contributed here. I left TN yesterday morning with a friend. We drove round the clock to end up In albuquerque at daylight today. I get to pick my tent up in Oklahoma city! Excited. (still feeling rough, thanks for prayin)
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I have lived in Army tents year around for 6 years and loved it. This is what I have learned that may help.

I always put a fly tarp over the top that protects the tent and sends the rain and snow away from the sides and I collect the rain water for bathing, laundry, garden watering and animals watering. I have a tarp as a groundcloth and used to have wall to wall carpeting from scrap pieces scattered about. This year that proved to be a bad idea as we had record breaking rain and the ground is saturated and thus the rugs rotted. Phew! What a stench. I now use little throw rugs like where my feet land in the morning when getting out of bed.

My first tent was a 17 ft diameter like a yurt. The base rotted when we had 3 hurricanes go through and I had knee deep water inside.

I then got a 17 by 32 ft rubberized army tent with liner and screens. I put sheets of styrofoam insulation around the bottom in the winter and when I woke up on -20 degree mornings I had 40 plus degrees inside from my all niter wood stove. This was after the fire had burned down all nite.

As to the stove and heat. I had one barrell stove that came with the big tent that went thru a modified metal roofing hole in the roof of the tent. The all niter I stuck the stove pipe out the back door where I built a concrete block no concrete chimney. I cooked on the overniter and baked with a dutch oven on top.

I then added a 10 by 20 canopy to the front for a summer kitchen. During the winter I hung tarps around this to help keep the wind out and saved heat.

I camoflaged all this so well that my cousin (who let me use his land) could not find me till he smelled the woodstove smoke.

My only negative to this setup has been it takes 8 strong people to set it up and take it down. I have not been able to get that many together at the same time to accomplish this so I have gone back to the smaller one this winter. I would love to find a 'strong' roommate with woods knowledge to help with things like that.

I hope this helps and I hope to make new friends here.

Lobo Lone Wolf

You said elsewhere you do this with no income. Curious how you swing purchasing all that gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You said elsewhere you do this with no income. Curious how you swing purchasing all that gear.
    Should be with little to no income. I do odd jobs and barter. The larger tent was paid for by family members who wanted to help when I got flooded out. I have no land rent as I too do the caretaker stint.

Lobo
    My day is wasted if I haven't experienced or learned something new.

I get joy from doing something others say I cannot do-like survive without a steady income. I can't wait til those same people come to me and ask for help when the sh** hits the fan.

Thank you. Not trying to pry just understand.

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    Is the Taj Mahal. The picture doesn't do it justice, but stage center with the smoke stack. Stage right is of course a small, stage left is the infamouus "box".

Actually that looks like our GP medium we used in Colorado.....Hooter was about 100 yds away, though.
    Always packed a woven rug and small tarp to "make a room", (seal up the floor drafts), for the ground/floor.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    .....Hooter was about 100 yds away..........

That is not a Hooter, it's a heated shower. Vented box/stool to put a lantern in for heat, hang 3 gal of hot water with a sprinkler head. It works really nice.

Rugs have always been reserved as personal, at your bunk. Dunno how you could carry enough textile to seal the bottom of one of them, we just use leaf litter.

Blog Entries

There is a wealth of knowledge to be obtained about tent living from Re-enactment groups. Those guys walk the walk and there is bound to be a group near you. Go have a chat with them and maybe ask one of them to have a look at what you intend to do. I'm sure they will help.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    That is not a Hooter, it's a heated shower. Vented box/stool to put a lantern in for heat, hang 3 gal of hot water with a sprinkler head. It works really nice.

Rugs have always been reserved as personal, at your bunk. Dunno how you could carry enough textile to seal the bottom of one of them, we just use leaf litter.
    Gotcha.....
    The GP medium was set up, no floor,..... so at my bunk, was a tarp for MY floor, with the sides turned up and attached to a few "rubber maid action packers" around the sides as a wind block and nite stands.