Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wall tent life?? Experiences? Advice? Tips, Tricks? Cook/camp stove help?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    BTW truck stops have showers and laundries...sometimes.
    Some small city parks do as well.....and a water source.
    I figured I'd plumb a hose, out of a 5 gal bucket to a garden sprayer for a shower set up. That's what they use at the Tom Brown Tracker sku. 5 gallions is a long shower!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Should I mention dig a trench around the base edge to channel rain water away?
    No! Sheesh you should come dig it, it's called "house warming gift"hello.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Be aware of fire dangers. These tents can go up VERY fast. Granted the ones we had burn were set-up in the desert for 2 years, so were very dried out. One was consumed in less than 30 seconds. This was a Temper Tent, and a bit bigger than a GP Medium.
    Last edited by aflineman; 01-04-2012 at 03:43 AM.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

As for wood stoves, I have a barrel type for my tent (not a kit). I took a sheet of steel and welded two 4" pieces of pipe to the sides (just wide enough for the sheet steel to touch the top of the stove when set down). You can cut a hole to slip over the chimney area or just a semi-circle to help hold it level on the stove. It works wonderful as a cook-top for my cast iron skillet or dutch oven. There are kits available to build your own stove from 55gal drum with bolt-on flanges.

I would not use any of the old military stoves, they have been known for burning plenty of tents to the ground. I have never experience such a problem, but have heard enough stories to keep me away from them. The military tent itself should do you well if you take care of it. I have seen some military tents take a beating, but they have always been set up on a platform. I think one of your best investment could be made in building a platform.

If you have not already, read the Army Field Manual 21-10 on Field Hygiene and Sanitation. It has a lot of great information that may help you living out there without facilities.

Good Luck with it all.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

You can download it here:

http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm

Just do a browser search for 21-10 and it will take you right to it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

got the link for the surplus site Thanks ... it has lotsa goodies I cant seem to find in Canada !
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

Thanks for the info guys. I will check the FM. Thanks for the link hong.
    Thanks,
    Tres

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Blog Entries

Cool Fyi...

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I will check the FM. Thanks for the link hong.
    The FM is also reproduced here on the WSF home page if anybody's interested.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Along the lines of the kitchen canopy, you can get a vestibule to add on either or both ends. They are a bit small but do help with some extra unheated space, a place to keep the keg. :-)
    It will also wind break that zipper door. The vestibules have a rectangular opening that lends well to a fabricated hinged door.

I used one hunting/fishing for nearly twenty years, but that would have only been 12-16 weeks per year and only set up for two weeks at a time. I'll try to dig up some old photos this weekend.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Great link Rick! Thanks for sharing.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    Along the lines of the kitchen canopy, you can get a vestibule to add on either or both ends. They are a bit small but do help with some extra unheated space, a place to keep the keg. :-)
    It will also wind break that zipper door. The vestibules have a rectangular opening that lends well to a fabricated hinged door.

I used one hunting/fishing for nearly twenty years, but that would have only been 12-16 weeks per year and only set up for two weeks at a time. I'll try to dig up some old photos this weekend.
    Thanks! Last night I was reading the FM for these tents and saw the vestibule in the line drawings within the FM. I'll have to look into that.
    Thanks,
    Tres

In my limited experience, the GP Smalls were used as small unit CPs and for brass living quarters. I used what was called a GP Tiny (pup tent) in my early years and went to GP Tinier (poncho hooch) in later years. Also, we're preparing for the alpaca arrivals next spring and found tents in Northern Tools for around $300 that may last longer than the old canvas that we will use for hay storage and possibly loafing/feeding sheds.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

How did you manage to fit in a GP Tiny? Yeah, I know, carefully. Didn't you look like a hotdog hanging out both ends of the bun?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That was when I was a lean, mean .... oh nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    How did you manage to fit in a GP Tiny? Yeah, I know, carefully. Didn't you look like a hotdog hanging out both ends of the bun?
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Do you plan to store food and cook in the tent?
    Do you know how to repair animal damage to a tent?
    Where are you going to dispose trash?

Store & cook food:
    I plan on living, or at least doing things pretty primitive. Food will be a non refrigerated diet. Dried/ dehydrated foods- Jerked/ smoked meat, small garden plot... etc.
    Storage will be 5 gallon buckets with tight lids. If they prove to not be critter proof enough I will go to ammo cans.

They guy I am getting the tent from is gonna teach me to make repairs... but basically no is the answer right now.

Trash- Well I don't expect too much of that. But I will still be working paying gigs, going to see my ma, friends etc. I can take the trash off. Also, not that I'd ever dare push my garbage off on the Park service but there are a bunch of those bear proof garbage bins a few miles up the road fro the property.

Thanks. I'm listening...
    Thanks,
    Tres

OK, I just gonna throw this out ther......I realize you are liking the tent idea.....but have you considered a small travel trailer?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Were you thinking of something like this Hunter?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

The price is probably right on that one. Please tell me that's not a ball hitch on the back.

LOL, now that is a Dandy.....A +++ for effort and creativity.
    All I'm saying that for pretty cheap, you can have hard side "tent", portable, and solve a lot of "tent' type problems........

My old Shasta is still being lived in....after I gave it to a guy that was living in a straw stack yurt.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Or maybe convert an old school bus, you can find them pretty cheap and they make pretty cool hunting camps. I think I saw one a while back for like $400....
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.