Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wall tent life?? Experiences? Advice? Tips, Tricks? Cook/camp stove help?

If you have an option to choose between tent and a camper or bus, i'd choose the vehicles. I lived in a tent for six months and it wasn't a wonderful experience. It wasn't a big canvas tent just an average 4 person dome tent. I lived in a 23 foot camper for 3 years semi comfortably with 2 kids

I lived in bus in the winter & a tent in the summer for three years perfer the metal walls

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    OK, I just gonna throw this out ther......I realize you are liking the tent idea.....but have you considered a small travel trailer?
    Well kinda getting into my personal life, don't tell anyone else:
    The plan was to get a highly fuel efficient "van" as in a step van- a "potato chip" truck etc. that I could convert into a camper. Some of them, such as with the cummins 4 cyl Turbo diesel engine (4bt) get incredible mileage for such a vehicle. SO why this instead of a camper? Well campers are made for a blend of luxury and space savings. I wanted an empty shell I could turn into a camper with emphasis on SPACE. How many campers/RV's can you get a gun safe in? See?

Well after saving the money for the rig proved to be a one step forward and two back affair I decided I would either have to continue to allow the wild in me to die an ever quickening slow death in the city, or lower my standards. Enter WALL TENT... I had the money, now I got my tent. It's in really good shape! So I live in it for 6 weeks, 6 months or 6 years. I will have "done it" instead of wondered about and desired it. A bargain says me for 3 bills. Thanks everyone!
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, 的 am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    Well kinda getting into my personal life, don't tell anyone else:
    The plan was to get a highly fuel efficient "van" as in a step van- a "potato chip" truck etc. that I could convert into a camper. Some of them, such as with the cummins 4 cyl Turbo diesel engine (4bt) get incredible mileage for such a vehicle. SO why this instead of a camper? Well campers are made for a blend of luxury and space savings. I wanted an empty shell I could turn into a camper with emphasis on SPACE. How many campers/RV's can you get a gun safe in? See?

Well after saving the money for the rig proved to be a one step forward and two back affair I decided I would either have to continue to allow the wild in me to die an ever quickening slow death in the city, or lower my standards. Enter WALL TENT... I had the money, now I got my tent. It's in really good shape! So I live in it for 6 weeks, 6 months or 6 years. I will have "done it" instead of wondered about and desired it. A bargain says me for 3 bills. Thanks everyone!
    That's cool, very cool, as a matter of fact..... never know till you try it, follow that hankerin'......Good Luck to you.

Just a small side note, about the yurt, bus and camper Dude, I posted earlier.

This guy has been living like this for years in one thing or another, by himself.

One winter (cold mid-winter) he hadn't been around much, often see the guy with his bicycle or donkey cart.....so people started worrying about him.
    Checked up and he was nowhere to be found.

Month later he showed back up, and when asked what happened, he just said, "yeah, well got pretty cold, so I went to the Bahamas, for the winter."

Turns out that he doesn't HAVE to live like that, just chooses to.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

Month later he showed back up, and when asked what happened, he just said, "yeah, well got pretty cold, so I went to the Bahamas, for the winter."

Turns out that he doesn't HAVE to live like that, just chooses to.
    Exactly! I mean just absolutely exactly. I might be wrong but I swear that's where I think I'm at.
    Thanks,
    Tres

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

Jesus answered, 的 am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

TM, not to nitpick but i can not wrap my brain around your thought process.

You can't get a gunsafe into an RV so you choose the wall tent?

I guarentee that I can harden an RV enough to feel more secure of my possessions than I do when tent camping! I have done it. There is a 27 foot pull behind in the back yard right now with a closet in the bathroom lined with 3/4" plywood and a good solid lock on the closet door, bathroom door and entry door.

Fact is I have lived in RV units several times and have never been burgled. Folks just take it for granted you don't own anything worth stealing or you would not be living in an RV!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    TM, not to nitpick but i can not wrap my brain around your thought process.

You can't get a gunsafe into an RV so you choose the wall tent?

I guarentee that I can harden an RV enough to feel more secure of my possessions than I do when tent camping! I have done it. There is a 27 foot pull behind in the back yard right now with a closet in the bathroom lined with 3/4" plywood and a good solid lock on the closet door, bathroom door and entry door.

Fact is I have lived in RV units several times and have never been burgled. Folks just take it for granted you don't own anything worth stealing or you would not be living in an RV!
    I laughed when I read that. I totally get how you read that. The deal was- with the RV set up I would be effortlessly mobile and need to have my valuables with me, hence the "Safe" comment. Now that I'm on operation Wall Tent my valuables will be in a friends basement!
    Thanks,
    Tres

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Off the shelter aspect of this thread, but does this abandoned homestead have a well or possibly a spring?

How about a septic system. You could make use of both even though in a tent.

Disposing of waste in the tank would make things easier, so would having a well.

When I built my present place I lived in the RV for 3 months while gutting and remodeling the house. Having on site water and being able to drop the waste hose directly into the septic tank was a blessing.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Well as far as water the property is amazing. The front edge of the property is bordered by a trout stream. Facing the trout stream, the left edge of the property is bordered by a small year round creek that comes out of the side of a Mtn. and drains into the trout stream.

As far as the exisiting septic- great point I will have to investigate. Thanks!!!
    Thanks,
    Tres

You might also think about a rain fly. A tarp over the top of your tent to further protect it from the elements...
    Great idea...one of the biggest destroyer's of canvas is long exposure to sun light.

As for the floor...you can extend the life of the floor with a ground tarp places under it...also, does the military tent have a sod cloth (5" - 12" strip of cloth that is at the botom...you cover it with sod/dirt to keep critters, rain and drafts out.

Rodney

Thanks. Yes it has a sod cloth.
    Thanks,
    Tres

In addition to Sun degrading canvas, dirt and debris accumulating will provide a nutrient source for molds and mildew to feed on. Ad the director of a reenacting group that set up at a seasonal venue for 4 months during the summer I learned a lot about canvas structures.

At this venue our canvas would last between three and five years until I started to do some general maintenance.

Location WI, MAy through August, hot sometimes very humid, direct sun exposure %50. Dirt trails and paths. Visitors to venue about 5,000 to 10,000 a day (tramping the dirt).

Effects on canvas: Debris from trees and the dust settles on the canvas. The low pitch of the canvas prevents the dirt and debris from being washed off when it rains. Without a hard rain it just creats mud on the canvas. This held moisture against the canvas and allowed mildew and mold to grow over a short period of time if it doesn't have a chance to dry. This dreasically shortens the use life of canvas.

Things that help delay deterioration of the canvas.

1. Pitch of canvas needs to be enough to allow most debris to fall off on its own. If its too flat and you get snow, the weight can cause the canvas to stretch and sag. This will allow water to pool. too much weight can cause a tear especially if the canvas is getting old.

2. Watch for dirt/ dust accumulation, sweeping helps reduce the mud when it rains.

3. when it rains heavy I have dropped our canvas awning one side at a time and brushed the canvas clean with a push broom. I was surprised how much dirt came off. This reduced the mildew growth.

4. Wall tent stuff...I have dug a small trench around the base of my wall tent to direct rain run off away from the tent. This will help keep your floor dryer and help dry the walls atthe ground better. Do not stake the canvas stake loops to the ground make sure they are off the ground at least 1" If the loops are in contact with the ground they will rot faster. When you select a spot to pitch the tent check the ground for run off patterns. Some times you can see in the dirt around were you camp the tracks left by the path of heavy rain run off. Avoid setting on top of those tracks.

5. Because we were a seasonal camp we took down after the event. Because we can and our location allowed to do so we cleaned out canvas according to Panther Primitives recommended cleaning. http://www.pantherlodges.com/

From Panther Primitives:

How do I clean my Panther Tent?

The cleaner you keep your tent the longer it will last. Mildew grows on dirt, so it is important to clean it before putting it away. To clean our canvas we recommend mild hand dishwashing liquid like Ivory in lukewarm water. (about a capful to one gallon) Lay the tent down and scrub with a rag or a soft brush. The harder you scrub the more you risk scrubbing off the waterproofing. Do not use bleach or any other chemicals. When finished make sure you rinse very well. Any soap left on the canvas could cause the tent to leak. Make sure the tent is very dry before you store it.

How do I protect my Ground Cloth?

If you have a Panther Super Ground cloth your ground cloth is protected by a layer of plastic sewn on to the bottom that will protect the canvas. If you have a regular canvas ground cloth, lay a piece of plastic on the ground under your ground cloth. While your canvas is mildew repellant, it's not mildew proof. A ground cloth lying on the damp ground for a week creates the perfect conditions for mildew and rot.

Here is the large awning / camp
    823981063_d629216319.jpg

My wall tent is in the middle of the row.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 01-11-2012 at 11:34 AM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Awesome. I really appreciate the time you took to pass on the info. I love the pics as well. Thank you!

Addendum:
    Went down to the property today to measure the one flatish spot for a tent among the trees. Yep the tent will fit, barely but I'm good to go. Getting excited....
    Last edited by TresMon; 01-11-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    Thanks,
    Tres

I asume you have read the cautions about setting up amongst trees.

Widow makers, ant hills carpenter ants on trees, sawdust at base of trees, all indicate the possibility of a bad tree. A piece of sucked on hard candy like jolly rancher placed on the ground will attract ants, If you get a lot of ants there may be a problem near by.

Check out the condition of limbs above your camp. when leaves are out you can see dead limbs easier then in the winter time. Depending on the height of the canopy, you can use a rope line with a bean bag attached to it to launch a rope over the suspect limb. Stand clear and attempt to pull the bad limb down. This is how we clear the site with the awning in the first picture. We also used Pike to clear some branches from trees. these are 17 ft tall and over 20 ft when carried. We cleared the faire of some of the dead branches each year before opening.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Thanks for the info! Good been there done that info indeed!
    Thanks,
    Tres

Recently remembered another discussion on wall tents on another blog that I belong to and will try to link them here for everyone else.

http://www.frontierfreedom.com/index...d=44&Itemid=57

http://www.frontierfreedom.com/index...d=89&Itemid=57

I just noticed they both are the same but the stories are Part 1 and Part 2.

Hope it works and helps.

Lobo
    My day is wasted if I haven't experienced or learned something new.

I get joy from doing something others say I cannot do-like survive without a steady income. I can't wait til those same people come to me and ask for help when the sh** hits the fan.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I have a friend who spent 13 months in one up here, yes in Alaska, with her husband and two children, when they didn't get their cabin built in time for winter. She wrote a very good book on it called Waltz With Me, Alaska.
    http://www.amazon.com/Waltz-Me-Alask...8820087&sr=8-3

You might want to check it out as it can give you a lot of ideas such as how to handle sparks setting your roof on fire.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!