Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wall tent life?? Experiences? Advice? Tips, Tricks? Cook/camp stove help?

Default Wall tent life?? Experiences? Advice? Tips, Tricks? Cook/camp stove help?

So it looks like I found me a killer deal on a used Military GP "small" canvas tent. (18' hex shape, 5'8" at the eve, 10' at peak, two zip doors.)
    GP small.jpg

I have been offered to camp on a small piece of land. The place I have in mind to make a permanent camp on is a teeny 2 acre privately owned parcel within the Cherokee National forest. An old couple I know lived there from the early seventies up until just a few years ago. They both were having medical conditions at random and decided they needed to move into an apartment in the nearest town so they would be closer to Emergency medical care. They have offered for me to stay on the property at no cost just to keep an eye on it. A dream of an offer!! Bear, deer, critters in the mountains- right on a trout stream- a dream of an offer!

I have been looking and pray'n about getting a wall tent. My initial thought was a teepee but I hear unless your standing in the VERY center, you got a crick in your neck if not a hunched back. So I jumped to wall tents. And then decided on one with a stove jack as using a woods stove in the tent would solve the heat, cooking & hot water problem with high efficiency (compared to camp fire.) And then I decided on a Military tent so it would blend in instead of a bright white typical one.

Since I will likely be living in the thing- (and it will have no door locks, security system etc) I don't want my place to stick out like sore thumb. On top of that It will be in a secluded place. If the thieves show up when I'm away the could whistle dixie while eat'n crackers as they nonchalantly loaded up my every possession...

Many prayers were answered! I don't have too much extra money and could not afford the typical $600+++ for these tents. I found one in good shape ready to go for $300!
    But it's on the other side of the country. Can't afford the tent and the shipping.
    More prayers. Then a pilot firend of mine calls me up and says "I bought an airplane engine in OK city. Care to help me with the driving to pick it up- I'll cover your travel costs if you just help me with the driving? Guess where the tent is!!??
    Coincidence? NOT!!!!

So this weekend likely I will be headed to get my tent. In the near future I will have it set up mostly permanent in the National Forest. This is all the culmination of a goal I have had to get in a position to live in the wilderness for a very long period of time and live a primitive skills way of life.

I'm sure there are folks on here that have some experience with wall tents- I have none. Please chime in with any thing you have to offer.
    For the record I'm getting the tent, "arctic liner", floor (vinyl??) and all the poles etc. It has a 4" stove jack. On that note...

I need a camp/cook stove. I have operated many wood stoves, but never had one of my own. I don't know about their hassles and headaches of getting them set up and running right. Nor about selection. I do need it to have a flat/level top to cook on and heat water on, etc. I DON"T have much money at all. The tent is essentially an 18" dia hex shape, size wise. I like the look of this unit and *assume* it would fit the bill well, but those with experience please chime in. http://www.harborfreight.com/cast-ir...ove-32058.html I would have to find it used to afford it. Or maybe it's not the right choice at all? I'm not looking to be able to make the tent super toasty in winter Just looking to make a good difference between inside and outside air temp.

Any advice you can offer with tent living, stoves preliminary info of what to expect in (re)homesteading a place (the property, garden plot, etc. has been abandoned and has gone 60% back to the wilds) etc would be really appreciated.

Thanks so much everyone,
    Last edited by TresMon; 01-03-2012 at 12:59 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, 的 am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I have no experience. I just wanted to say that I'm glad it worked out for you. Sometimes things are just meant to be.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Okay, the 1st thing to remember is that tents are not meant to be permanent structures. The floor fabric will rot if left in contact with the ground for any lengthy period of time. Can you get permission to build a small, one room, cabin? Then you can use the tent until you get the cabin built, and then take the tent down to be used in the future. I totally destroyed a cabin tent some years back when I had to live in one for the summer. At one point a small ground squirrel ate it's way through the floor.

Anyway, I wish you all the best in your endeavors; amazing how things work out, isn't it?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

sportsmans guide warehouse has a wood stove with chimney pipe for $79. It has a flat split rack on top for cooking that open up and double as a sock/glove drier warmer and carrying handle. sorry no link Im posting with my phone.
    "The sky's blue, water's wet, and sh&t happens." Bruce Willis The Last Boy Scout

"I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes. If you F*#& with me. I'll kill you all."
    USMC Gen. James Mattis to Iraqi tribal leaders

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have no experience. I just wanted to say that I'm glad it worked out for you. Sometimes things are just meant to be.
    Rick, hurry! you neglected to say anything other than nice stuff. Edit it quick man before some one else see this. It's on the WWW for cry'n out loud! You'll get made!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Okay, the 1st thing to remember is that tents are not meant to be permanent structures. The floor fabric will rot if left in contact with the ground for any lengthy period of time. Can you get permission to build a small, one room, cabin? Then you can use the tent until you get the cabin built, and then take the tent down to be used in the future. I totally destroyed a cabin tent some years back when I had to live in one for the summer. At one point a small ground squirrel ate it's way through the floor. Anyway, I wish you all the best in your endeavors; amazing how things work out, isn't it?
    Well as far as I know for now, No I can't make a solid structure. Plus no $ for build materials and don't have a mill in my back pocket. So the floor is not made into the tent. Should I just go the dirt floor option? Cosmeticaly & function wise I'd be ok with that, assuming that in short order the dirt IN the tent would dry out and not make mold/moisture issues. ? As a redneck option I might be able to put the tent ontop of an array of wood pallets...?

Thanks so much for the kind words guys.
    Thanks,
    Tres

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

Jesus answered, 的 am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

A wall tent is definitely not intended to be used as a permanent structure. Left set up it definitely will, eventually, rot - though perhaps not as quickly as one might fear. In their book "The Indian Tipi" by Reginald and Gladys Laubin the authors describe how heavy canvas tipis that they have used in all seasons and sometimes for months on end, but not in the way you describe as full-time, permanent living quarters, have lasted between 6 and ten years. I would expect that you would get somewhat less service from a quality wall tent used as a permanent home. Your used military tent has already had some of its useful life expended but, as long as the canvas is in good shape, you should be good to go for quite some time - perhaps as longs as 3-5 years.

If you can at least make a wood platform to set it upon, you will have done some real good, both in terms of preventing rot and also in avoiding the pitfalls of having a mud floor. Also if you can find a way to keep it sheltered from the harmful effects of the sun (placing it in a copse of trees to shade it or whatever) you will again see much benefit. Finally, if you can put your wall tent on a frame (I prefer internals though externals work fine too), it will withstand the buffeting of storms much better and longer than if you don't.

A good wood stove properly utilized can run you right out of the tent. You should be able to enjoy comfortable temps even when its well below freezing outside.

Blog Entries

Cool Stove.

I used one just like this in Colorado to heat a 10' X 50" mobile home:

http://store.colemans.com/cart/milit...ed-p-1310.html
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the info fellas. I really appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Tres

Congrats on the find......
    If you are gonna live in it I would built a floor to put it on and use a plastic ground sheet.

Those box stoves are OK, not real tight and will burn alot of wood.....buy the best stove you can afford, what you save in price you will spend in wood...even if the wood is free, still need processing, saws, mauls, splitters etc.

I'm thinking that because you will have only 2 acres a constant wood supply will be difficult.

Also living in a tent opens up vermin problems, storage will have to be in something vermin proof at least if you will be there a while.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The military tent is made to be used in conjunction with a wooden floor. Even if all you can do is find a bunch of pallets and cover them with particle board it will work for a while.

Although it is our concept that tents are not permenant structures tell that to the thousands of GIs that have lived in tents for years at a time during every conflect in our memory. Even in Iraq the squad shelters were these same squad tents with sandbags around the outside and panneling partitions inside. I have pics of my boys tent city. They lived there for 8 months and it had already been up for a while and sheltered more Marines when they pulled out.

I worked on a wilderness program as a teacher and we had campsites where the commercial canvas tents had been in use for 3-5 years. They were on elivated platforms. That was in middle TN and the temps were about the same as your area. You are going to freeze!

Two acres will not supply you with wood for the winter if you cut every tree in sight. Plan to buy wood by the truck load or use kero.

You also have a zoning issue to deal with. In TN you can not live in a tent/camper/RV as a permenant dwelling. I think 180 days a year is their limit.

It is also illigal to build an outhouse anywhere in TN so you have that issue to deal with.

Expect to be visited by the local law as soon as you are spotted. Many meth cookers are doing exactly what you are.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-03-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

KY - Lot's of good advice there. Nice post.

Tresmon - I say nice things occasionally but I'm usually being facetious. Oops. I guess I just clobbered my good words to KY.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Couple of questions Tres. First are you planning on working during the day or staying round camp all the time? if working that'll cut down wood usage, so will banking the fire at night and heaping blankets. Ok I only had one but another heat conserver would be partitioning the tent off smaller area= less work to heat.
    "The sky's blue, water's wet, and sh&t happens." Bruce Willis The Last Boy Scout

"I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes. If you F*#& with me. I'll kill you all."
    USMC Gen. James Mattis to Iraqi tribal leaders

Thanks.

Per the "two acres" thats the privately owned parcel I'll be on that is surrounded by a 640,000 acres national forest. I'll have more fire wood than I can burn in a lifetime. At least there locally if it is "dead, down & detached" you can claim it for farwood out of the forest.

Per zoning issues- the place is wild and undeveloped and just "forest." No fancy hiking trails or pretty water falls to cause outdoor folk traffic. True the trout stream get a little fishing traffic but just locals. I'm pretty sure that with the local "good-ol boy" system I'll get no pressure from being there long term or from having a slit-trench latrine.

If I do and or they were to pose the 180 day rule I'd not be sore about moving on. About 35 minutes away from this location I have a buddy with a 800 acre farm, bordered on two sides by one of the best small mouth streams in the US... and it has BIG deer and tons of turkey on it, plus all the typical critters.

Hunter, Thanks for the good info on the little box stoves!

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate the info and you celebrating this with me.
    Thanks,
    Tres

Might want to add a "kitchen fly" or "porch" make it a whole lot more livable room.

Yeah, I know this one is white.......
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Out in a Colorado Elk camp ,up on Grand Mesa we camped in a GP Medium, had a couple of the Army pot belly oil stoves.....just kinda keep the frost out....LOL.

Wow, NICE Hunter! Good idea. Thanks bud!
    Thanks,
    Tres

You might also think about a rain fly. A tarp over the top of your tent to further protect it from the elements, maybe make it last longer. You can get tarps in more camouflage colors than Army green too.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    You might also think about a rain fly. A tarp over the top of your tent to further protect it from the elements, maybe make it last longer. You can get tarps in more camouflage colors than Army green too.
    see See SEE MOM! >THIS< is why I pay for internet. Wow. Great idea LowKey.

Thanks again everyone and keep 'em coming. I'm learning lots- fast.
    Thanks,
    Tres

Blog Entries

Cool So....

Let's see:

Wood floor? Check!

Inside frame? Check!

Extra fly for outside of tent? Check!

Wood burning tent stove? Check!

Case of Twinkies in case Rick stops by? ......!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

BTW truck stops have showers and laundries...sometimes.
    Some small city parks do as well.....and a water source.

Should I mention dig a trench around the base edge to channel rain water away?