Thread: Net making

Default Net making

Not sure of the practibility of this in the field as so far i've used over 330 yards of twine. You'd have to have alot of extra time and endless cordage, oh well might as well try it. At the least it will make a cool wall decoration.DSCN0277.jpg

Cool, thanks for sharing!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Alaskan Survivalist had some posts on net making but he deleted all his pictures. Kind of a jerk move but anyway. Asemery can probably answer any questions you have as can Your Comforting Company and some others.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Mainly just curious what uses in the field it could have. Seems like it wouldn't work as a gill net with such large mesh and large sized cordage, assuming you could even get that much cordage. What other uses could it have? Some sort of small game animal trap?

Randyhods.
    That is a great looking net. Meshes are even and well spaced. I prefer making my nets with a gauge and netting needle. That way I only have to worry about one stand of cord.
    Nets make great hammocks, storage and tote bags. When your net is complete you can weave an extra cord around the outer meshes. That cord becomes a draw-string for a pouch that can be used to keep food and gear off the ground. Tony
    Last edited by crashdive123; 01-04-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Remove solicitation
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

It is a great net and if you made it 6'tall and a hundred feet long it would make a great seine net for inshore saltwater fish like mullet and sheepshead,where legal,used to do it growing up in Floridia to catch dinner in the evening after school.That was a long time ago though.Our mesh was always 2-3" to let the little critters out.Lead weights at bottom help keep them down and little floats at top to float it.One man on bank and one pulling the net into a big loop then back to the bank to pull in dinner.

I ended up using this to catch a raccoon. I made it with a draw string, baited it and waited around the corner, the pulled him up. Man was he suprised

Some day i'd like to make my own cast nets.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I have a net hammock I wove out of nylon cord using a home made shuttle and guide thing I made up. Been a long time since I made a net though.

Now that I think about it, I suspect I'll try to make another one, since it would be good practice to help teach my fingers to work better since my stroke. (I use twisting string in all sorts of ways as training on my finger motor skills.)

Soon as I get another camera I'll try to post up some pics of the netting shuttle and gauge. Probably could google it up, which I will not proceed to attempt.

I googled "netting shuttle and gauge" and got a ton of hits, including several on making hammocks. I will probably drift over and read them in a bit but slipped back to add this in case anyone wants to test out their google fu.

Thad.
    Thaddius Bickerton

Here is one thing you can do with that panel of netting
    I made a flat panel of netting and tied the ends to a 3' length wood dowel. I strung a length of cord between the ends of the dowel and through one edge of the net to form a back support. Tony
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I made the net from braided nylon cord using a 2 1/8" gauge. 34 meshes across x 46 meshes deep.
    I used a heavy 2" diameter galvanized steel ring at the center of the harness(cut off at top of picture). The heavy green cord passes down through the support dowel, through all 34 meshes at the end of the panel of netting , back up through the dowel and tied in a stopper knot. Tony
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7