Thread: variety is the spice of life

Default variety is the spice of life

keep trying to convince the wife of that but she's not going for it, so we'll stick to food.
    Lessons learned this year, any type of seeds, nuts, grains and flower that i bring home automtically gets put in the freezer for 3 days, and i do not store in plastic jars anymore.
    I found that when i had stored some seeds in empty plastic peanut butter jars after a few months i saw moths in it, same with my powdered chicken stock. so now i freeze it and store it in glass canning jars, as i found even with an cheese whiz glass jar does not seem to be air tight enough.
    Also varying your food supply, as i have been living on my stores the last 4 months, i am so sick and tired of rice, beans, pasta, pancakes. Foraging is essential 12 months a year, so is a cold frame garden and lots upon lots upon lots of different food stored. beleive me there are days when i do not want to eat when i see the same crap to eat after 120 days.
    Last edited by wareagle69; 01-01-2012 at 09:48 AM.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

there is a method that eull gibbons speaks of in his book stalking the wild asparagus. A root stock is taken and kept in the cellar in the winter. the leaves grow out and can be cut off and eaten. The book explains better than I. It is a way to get some variety out of season.

WE - The plastic jars vs. glass won't impact moths. There's something else there that's going on. My guess is you picked seeds with plants that had moth eggs and they got transferred. Just a guess. Freezing wild seeds will kill some of the seeds. It might be best if you put them in the fridge. They won't freeze but they will be dry and cold so there shouldn't be any problem.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    WE - The plastic jars vs. glass won't impact moths. There's something else there that's going on. My guess is you picked seeds with plants that had moth eggs and they got transferred. Just a guess. Freezing wild seeds will kill some of the seeds. It might be best if you put them in the fridge. They won't freeze but they will be dry and cold so there shouldn't be any problem.
    Out of curiousity, how will freezing kill seeds? My thought is many plants and vegetation come back every year after winter, including freezing temps. Especially in Ontario where WE is located. I would think that freezing them would be okay, although probly unneccesary.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Out of curiousity, how will freezing kill seeds? My thought is many plants and vegetation come back every year after winter, including freezing temps. Especially in Ontario where WE is located. I would think that freezing them would be okay, although probly unneccesary.
    As a matter of fact,some seeds REQUIRE a period of time that they be frozen,one off the top of my head,is ginseng. they seed requires so many months of being frozen before they germinate.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Your are both correct. However, if the seed is collected green then it stills contains moisture and freezing it can damage some seeds.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.