Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Cloth recipe

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    is it possible to color an oil cloth?

My desire for a OD green wall tent (military) really cuts down on the tents I can find used. I kinda like to blend in overall, especially in the woods, not to mention my favorite colors really are OD & deep Brown.

And especially since I will likely be living in the thing- (and it will have no door locks, security system etc) I don't want my place to stick out like sore thumb. On top of that It will be in a secluded place. If the thieves show up when I'm away the could whistle dixie while eat'n crackers as they nonchalantly loaded up my every possession...

Thanks for the info!
    This has got to be the best deal in a live-in-the-woods tent that was ever offered. I ain't canvas but it ain't bad.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=884278

When you live in a tent theft is one of the risks you run. Why do you thing the homeless carry everything they own in those shopping carts?

It was even a hastle for the longhunters of old. They often returned to their base camps and found all their furs and gear had been stolen or ambush was awaiting them. Simon Kenton was run off a camp naked once in mid winter. After that he began caching gear all over the Ky forest. The Bledsoe brothers hunting out of Gallatin, TN had 2600 deerhides stolen at one time.

Where in the world are you going to live long term in TN/NC without the Park Service, Forest Service or local sheriff running you out? Almost every square inch of those areas is privately owned or restricted government land.

Even here in KY our national forests limit stays to 14 days.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-31-2011 at 07:59 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

here's a place in ashville, If you're close enough it might pay to stop by and check it out.

http://www.armytents.com/

Thanks for the info and links and such everyone.
    KyRat I got a sweet offer dumped in my lap. An old couple has a small private parcel they were grandfathered into. It's within the Cherokee national forest, (in TN) right at the line near Hot Springs, NC and the Appalachian Trail.

The lived there in the house on the little 1.5 acre's the guvment left them when they formed the park around the previous home owners. THe couple I know lived there since the early 70's. Now they are elderly and afraid to be so far away from EMS (45 minute drive, no place for a Helo to land.) they moved into an apartment into town. They told me I could make a permanent camp on their property for nothing- that they just would like to have someone on the place. It's within a natl. forest on a Trout stream! Lucky me!

No cell service or 'net though.

Best deal I got so far is $300 for a used GP small. Look like:
    http://www.rddusa.com/General-Purpos...y-Surplus.aspx

I had considered a teepee like you linked but don;t want to spend my indoor times hunched over or crawling around...

Thanks again everyone I will follow up the links....
    Last edited by TresMon; 12-31-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

TRES MON - " ... THe couple I know lived there since the early 70's. Now they are elderly and afraid to be so far away from EMS (45 minute drive, no place for a Helo to land.) they moved into an apartment into town. They told me I could make a permanent camp on their property for nothing- that they just would like to have someone on the place. "
    If the owners are no longer going to use the parcel, is it possible you could buy it from them?? That would certanly be more "permanent" than just throwing down a tent and goods because of an oral promise. You'd be secure in always having your own land and place to camp in a Nat'l. Forest.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Also - since they were grandfathered in....the land may revert back to the park when they no longer use it. Before you spend your $$$ and time you may want to find out if they have the authority to "sub let" or gift the land to you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I was thinking the same thing. If it's grandfathered they may not be able to sell it to anyone but the national forest.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Great points fellas thanks.
    In the short term, If I get to live on it and live my skills daily for even for just a year- COOL! 3 years- AWESOME! Who knows if at some point I will have "my fill" of living isolated, off primitive skills in a national forest.

Long term- I'd love to have it, and they have no children...
    I could never afford to buy it, at least in this economy. Im met this old couple through my best friend David. David and his wife lived with them in his young days when he was down on their luck they really helped him. Now David and his wife sticks really close by them now that they are elderly and have extra needs. They way it all should be.

Common sense would be for David, my best friend to inherit the place (if it is legal per the forest service and all the guvment stuff...)
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Default not too late i hope

i didnt find this till after i had done mine. i got a 9 x 12, 10 oz painters tarp from the home depot and a gallon of boiled linseed oil. i stuffed the tarp into a 5 gal bucket, pored the linseed oil on top,let it set for about 12 hours( it soaked up the whole gallon of oil).it started getting hot so i streched it out on a frame, and clamped it down. now it wasnt on the frame for over 3 hours when it rained on it. so i hope everything will turn out ok but if it dont i will do it this way next time

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Neither do you want to get this tarp or any items treated with linseed oil near the fire.
    Just as a point clarification; does one need to continue following this bit of advice even after the tarp has completely dried?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
    Just as a point clarification; does one need to continue following this bit of advice even after the tarp has completely dried?
    Correct! It is not just due to the linseed oil/mineral-spirit treatment. You are dealing with cotton cloth. It is not fireproof and the linseed oil adds to the flamibility.

However, the only time I have seen anyone have a problem with this, during 25 years of camping around this treated gear, was one drunk guy that allowed his treated awning corner to flop into the campfire.

The word !!!!POOOOOOOF!!!! comes to mind.

He walked through the wall of fire, slapped the smoldering embers out of his beard, borrowed a blanket from someone and finished sleeping the night out.

I have never seen one ignite other than that even with campfires poping and embers floating everywhere.

Nylon melts, cotton burns. Modern or ancient none of it is fireproof.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-02-2012 at 12:29 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hello,

Thanks so much for this great post. Approximately how long does it take for the fabric to dry? You wrote 48 hours in the original post, but then also mentioned a couple of weeks and a month in another.

Is it correct then, that the fabric should be "dry enough" within 48 hours, but best if left longer to cure?

Does it matter if it's left in direct sunlight?

Thanks much,
    Jill
    Last edited by jjodrey; 11-01-2013 at 05:30 AM.

Hey Jill - the drying process takes from a few hours to a couple of days - direct sunlight is fine. The longer times are to remove the odor from the material that was caused by the oil and mineral spirits.

Welcome to the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks much!

If you want a glossier and perhaps a thicker finish, is it possible/advisable to do a second coat?

Cheers,
    Jill

Can't help you with that one Jill.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Jill, The recipe is intended for use as a water proofing for canvas used as a tent or other water resistant need like for a haversack. The intention is to keep the canvas as lightweight as possible because you will be carrying the tent or item while you travel sometimes on foot. You are asking the question of drying and a second coat to make it more glossy from a specific need. Perhaps you are looking to make a floor cloth? That is a different process and different intent. What is your end goal or product. If it is a water resistant tent or other item then the recipe is sufficient, adding a second coat will make the canvas or cloth heavier and stiff making it more cumbersome to carry. Even with a single coating the cloth will be stiff. I work the dried oil cloth to make it more flexible and pack easier, with no loss of water resistance.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I was wondering... have you found that after treatment rodents are deterred from making holes... I was thinking that perhaps some lingering tastes would make them think twice... we have had a heck of a time with rodents in our regular blue tarps...
    buffcleb
    http://youtube.com/buffcleb
    http://www.bethnchris.com

Thanks, Karl,

Yes, I am intending it for a different use; a floor cloth. I'm happy with the single coat/dip, for the most part, but was also curious about how a second coat/dip would work. Haven't found any other instructions (so far) for floor cloths, so I've just been using this one, which works great.

Kind regards,
    Jill

Oh shoot. I just soaked my cloth with raw linseed oil before reading this post. Will it still work? What is the difference? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tnpetty View Post
    Oh shoot. I just soaked my cloth with raw linseed oil before reading this post. Will it still work? What is the difference? Thanks!
    I should also add that I mixed with Turpenoid at a the 1:1 ratio.

I can't help you. Hopefully KyRat or someone will be along and can give you some advice. I will say don't fold it up. Leave it hanging. Linseed oil will spontaneously ignite if the material is folded over on itself and crumpled up. It will generate enough heat to ignite.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.