Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 21st Century Longhunter Kit

Your kit looks good. I like the philosophy of the 21st longhunter series. Less is more, versatility, and such (the more you know, the less you have to carry, right?). Looks like you were able to apply another part of the pathfinder "common man" approach by doing it on a budget. Goes to show that you don't have to have a $300 pack or a $200 dollar axe. As for the fire wood part, it's a lesson learned. Firewood goes fast on a cold night. I always liked the adage of gathering what you think you need and then tripling it.
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Paracord is the pits for carrying anything as a strap. It doesn't matter if it's over your shoulder or by hand. There are a couple of ways around it. None good but they help.

1). Braid six to eight inches of cord to be used as a shoulder strap and/or handle. That will widen the surface area and help. I've used a separate piece of cord, braided it, then attach it to the paracord you used to wrap your roll. You'll have a loop on one end of the "handle" and two free lengths of cord on the other. Slide the paracord you are wrapping your bed roll with through the loop then loosely tie the other two ends on the handle around the pack cord. Not only will it widen the surface area but the constant movement of the pack cord against you shoulder with now slide over the handle instead of your shoulder. Use a Cobra stitch or, if you have enough extra paracord, a King Cobra will be wider.

2). Construct the pack so part of it becomes your shoulder strap.

I hope #1 makes sense. If it doesn't let me know and I'll try to post some pics.
    If you had enough cord you could do something like a 6 or more strand flat braid
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Guy once told me.....don't burn all your wood too soon...night is long and cold (I have seen big bon fires that burn out too soon)....and always save one green log to keep the fire smoldering till morning.....(so you don't have to start over again).
    Was good advice.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If you mean 6 strands wide(?) it would take quite a bit of paracord and I think it would tend to fold in half longways. Technically, there's no reason you couldn't but it would take a lot of paracord. It takes about 25 feet to do a King Cobra six inches long...give or take. But rather than do that you'd be better off making something completely different like a Ten-Strand Twill Sinnet. There are all sorts of variations from four strands up. Flat Sinnets are sort of like braiding hair except they come out flat and wide. You really don't need it that wide. A King Cobra will work just fine.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Excellent. A Long Hunter was looked up to and revered.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This is a link to a site with instructions for finger weaving. You can use as many strands as you wish and the woven object will come out as a flat strap. I have done as many as 12 strands wide. It takes a while but gives you the strap you need and plenty of cordage to use if needed.

http://www.nativetech.org/finger/beltinstr.html

You do not have to use 550 cord. Jute twine, cotton or nylon will do the job too.

I also have found that when wide strapping is needed on the cheap, Harbor Freight keeps towing straps on sale most of the time and even at their regular price they are not so expensive that cutting one up and melting the ends to use for straps causes a guilty conscience.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-1...rap-36608.html
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If you mean 6 strands wide(?) it would take quite a bit of paracord and I think it would tend to fold in half longways. Technically, there's no reason you couldn't but it would take a lot of paracord. It takes about 25 feet to do a King Cobra six inches long...give or take. But rather than do that you'd be better off making something completely different like a Ten-Strand Twill Sinnet. There are all sorts of variations from four strands up. Flat Sinnets are sort of like braiding hair except they come out flat and wide. You really don't need it that wide. A King Cobra will work just fine.
    From the research I have done you lose about 25% in the weave, so for a 6 strand weave 5 feet long you would need about 38' of rope. I just got the stuff tonight to weave a jute tumpline for my blanket roll and also picked up a little cast iron skillet.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

interesting post I like the tumpline video thanks

Sparky it's way more than that. 10 feet of line goes into a bracelet 7 inches long. Off the top of my head it's 25 feet for a King Cobra the same length. For that size of weave you might be looking at 380 feet, not 38.

I put something like 77 feet in a Cobra stitch belt. No, wait, that's not fair. My belt is 400 inches around. Never mind.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thankyou kyrat for the site on weaving. I for one have never been very handy when it comes to that art but this site seems to put all their instructions very simply. Going to give it a shot tommorow.I got alot of baling twine pieces hanging out in the shed. Think I'll try some practice with that. Then maybe use something a bit better.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Tying knots is a lost art form. A carryover from a time when everyone lived every day with knots of some kind. Not many know how to tie even some of the most useful. It's a shame really since you can make things so much simpler by knowing how to tie the right knot.

I've posted before but the bible on knots is Ashley's Book of Knots. It has over 5000 knots displayed along with the instructions on how to tie each one. It's not cheap. I paid around $50 for my copy. But what a treasure trove of information.

Sparky it's way more than that. 10 feet of line goes into a bracelet 7 inches long. Off the top of my head it's 25 feet for a King Cobra the same length. For that size of weave you might be looking at 380 feet, not 38.

I put something like 77 feet in a Cobra stitch belt. No, wait, that's not fair. My belt is 400 inches around. Never mind.
    I thing we are talking about two different things, this is a finger weave ( I call it a flat weave)

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Everything I have seen on it says you lose 25% in the weave, I agree the cobra weave uses a lot more cordage but that is kind of what it is designed to do.
    Thomas Paine

Oh, sorry. Your reference was to the flat weave. Mea Culpa. That may be a true number. I haven't down any type of flat weave in a long time. Did a belt back in 1898 or so.

is that a Winchester Model 67 ?

Quote Originally Posted by brow_tines View Post
    is that a Winchester Model 67 ?
    Yes sir, it tis.
    Thomas Paine

It seems that the world was just falling apart till 550 cord was invented?....LOL.

I was looking just last nite at a macrame belt that DW had made back in the 1970's, wondering how I could repurpose into a rifle sling....wold have to dye it as it's white.....thinking maybe the dyeing tips from KRS thread on canvas might give me some clues.
    It was made out of heavy cotton string.

factory i worked at use all different sizes for centers of wire rope....endless supply on string.....too bad, it's a parking lot now.....

I really like watching the 21st century Longhunter series but, 1 thing I don't know if I agree with him on is the shotgun. In a "survival" situation, if you have the shotgun and 2 boxes of shells or a pound of powder and a pound of bb's and primers, how many 22 shells could you replace with the same weight? several hundred? And in a "survival" situation I think a 22 would kill a deer with the correct shot placement. Just my humble opinion

BTW very nice rifle

Ah yes. The proverbial which gun is better. The one you have.

Dave had a vid on reloading a cut down shotgun brass with black powder, by putting a primer in it, then just dumping powder down the barrel, and loading like a muzzleloader.

I would never even try this, so I do have to question some of his ideas.....kinda like trying too hard, for the sake of making a vid.
    JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by brow_tines View Post
    I really like watching the 21st century Longhunter series but, 1 thing I don't know if I agree with him on is the shotgun. In a "survival" situation, if you have the shotgun and 2 boxes of shells or a pound of powder and a pound of bb's and primers, how many 22 shells could you replace with the same weight? several hundred? And in a "survival" situation I think a 22 would kill a deer with the correct shot placement. Just my humble opinion

BTW very nice rifle
    I think he chose the shotgun for more of a SHTF situation than a survival situation, he figures a 12 gauge to be one of the more common calibers to find. Which is also why he has that adapter plug for .22. That way if society spirals out of control he can scavenge for ammo and have good odds of finding 12 gauge ammo or .22 or black powder and primers.
    Last edited by Sparky93; 01-01-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    Thomas Paine