Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Meat :)

Default Free Meat :)

Just call me REDNECK, 911 dispatcher called and asked if we wanted a salvage deer?? Hello be right there.. Not too big but 40# of free meat is a nice late CHRISTmas present to me..... All field dressed and iced down in the ol freezer ready to grind on Saturday.. mmmmmmm Venison burgers!!

Anyone else not too proud to eat roadkill??

Happy New Year to ALL
    Swede
    Last edited by Swede; 12-28-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Gramma :)
    Prepare for the worst, you'll NEVER be surprised!!

Well, since I've never personally done that, but witnessed it, I guess not. My friend hit one with the car, threw it in the trunk, and kept it. Best part was it was his gf's car.... lol

As long as it's fresh, no problem.

Hey, go for it! My thought is, if it is dead, may as well use it as much as possible. No sense in waste. I've never had a 911 dispatcher call me for it though. That is a new one!

no waste policy in effect lol seriously I would not waste it.
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

I read a story about a country singer (can't remember who, I think it was Dierks Bentley) who's tour bus hit a deer while on the east coast. The singer then told the driver to stop the bus and proceeded to try out his new gutting knife and gut and quarter the deer. While working on the deer a police officer stopped to see what the problem was and once he saw what was going on he said "you boys ain't from around here are you...."
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Done here all the time with moose. The local food bank, jail, other charities and several families are on the call list. The thing is though, you have to come immediately when they call and that might be at -40. If you don't show up in about 30 an hour, they call the next person on the list. That would be a lot of meat going to waste. You never see a moose left on the side of the road.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

WV made it legal a few years ago. And no, I ain't too proud.

There is an interesting article, albeit convoluted, on the subject here. Why do things have to be so complicated?
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

I left work to dress a deer the "bean counter" saw get hit just down from the plant. I even soaked the bruised meat in a salt brine to try and save it - to no avail I might add.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Ive done in many of times, as long as its fresh! I have seen people hit a deer or rabbit and keep on truckin. There is no need to waste good food!
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

Well it gets bad when your hunting/shopping gear consists of a '68 dodge power wagon 4X4 w/winch, chain saw, and a cooler.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

It's only roadkill if you leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well it gets bad when your hunting/shopping gear consists of a '68 dodge power wagon 4X4 w/winch, chain saw, and a cooler.......
    Officer: I'm writing you a ticket for reckless driving.
    H63: What? I was not driving recklessly.
    Officer: Yes sir - you were.
    H63: I'll see you in court officer. We'll let a judge decide based on your "proof".
    Officer: I'll be sure to bring pictures of all of the skid marks you made in the road.
    H63: Skid marks? Reckless driving? Officer - You must be new to the job - that's called hunting around here.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Officer: I'm writing you a ticket for reckless driving.
    H63: What? I was not driving recklessly.
    Officer: Yes sir - you were.
    H63: I'll see you in court officer. We'll let a judge decide based on your "proof".
    Officer: I'll be sure to bring pictures of all of the skid marks you made in the road.
    H63: Skid marks? Reckless driving? Officer - You must be new to the job - that's called hunting around here.
    That one was close enough to the road, about 80 feet or so..........and yeah, I always drive around with the bob-wire and fence post dragging along side, kinda like mud flaps.........

When I lived in Iowa one of my cousins had a tow truck that he used at his shop. When someone had an accident or hit a deer the county leo's would call him for the tow. If the person envolved didn't want the deer (At that time Iowa law said if you hit it, it was your. Still does I think.) He would have the leo tag it and away it went to his place. Once in awhile when the freezer got full I would get some free meat. :>)

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

We got one last year also, Hunter I thought you were draggin the barb wire and posts like an outrigger I can't understand why some people just can't fathom using meat that is just as fresh (if not more so) than one you shot!!! Anyhow like mentioned above it ain't roadkill unless its left there.. Hey EVERYONE have a GReAT and SAFE NEW YEAR...
    Prepare for the worst, you'll NEVER be surprised!!

It's legal here to keep em if you hit em or find them first. I go to work early in the morning and have to keep an eye peeled as not to hit a deer. That would too expensive a meal. There are certain crossing spots along that highway and invariably at least 2 times a month in the spring and in the fall I see LEOs out there with their Bronco-type cruiser, loading a road kill in the back or finishing a crippled one off (with cruiser gate open and ready).
    They always beat me to them. I think the truckers call them in. You do have to get them tagged by the WMR officer though. Can't just pick em up.
    There certainly isn't a call list. LOL.

I've always kept deer i've hit, back home we went to the police department and they would give a tag or permit. Here the meat would go bad in that process so I just throw them in and bring em home. To me it's the right thing to do. Yesterday morning I saw a cow dead in the ditch, nobody bothered to butcher it or even get a couple good cuts. It's just being wasted/feeding the damn coyotes. If you hit it you know it's fresh, cruising the back roads for meat........thats a different story.

Eaten roadkill deer many times. I used to work for a farmer who got all his deer meat that way. Sheriff and local PD in his area have his number and will call him to come get any deer hit within ten miles or so of his place. Keeps his freezer full enough that he doesn't really even hunt much anymore. Also hit my fair share of deer in western KS, never went to waste. In this state the LEOs are supposed to carry what are called road salvage tags and give them to whoever wants the deer for free. Its been my experience that most, however, don't regularly carry them. That said, I've had them more than once tell me something along the lines of "I don't have a tag, but I'm fixing to drive over that hill and not be back this way for awhile." Works out well as long as a game warden doesn't stop by wondering where your tag is..
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold

years ago, when MF worked for the Wisconsin DNR, road kills were salvaged if they weren't broken up to badly, and freash, hung in a wack in cooler at the station.
    Anyone could bid on the meat (deer) at so much a pound, but there weren't a lot of takers.
    So our freezer was always full, and i know a lot of meat went to different "homes' in the area.

Now on the other hand if it was banged up badly the rangers were supposed to go out, drag it off the road, and bury it 6 ft deep with lime........Yeah, right, winter time?...ground froze?....LOL....Lots of reports of deer wasn't there when we got there, it must have "run in the woods"........."One, ana two, ana....run right in the woods"

Now if you hit one you call it in and can take it after tagging.
    There is a local list, that you can get on if something comes up, and yeah, you have to get out there and pick it up right now.
    Couple of the guys from the factory used to pick up a couple a year.......