Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mosin-Nagant

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Thaddius Bickerton View Post
    I love the cheap surplus 7.62 x 54R stuff.

I also have a couple hundred boxer primed cases that I reload my hunting rounds into.

M/N is the cheapest fix for wanting a "new" gun going at the moment.

I love getting a 91 / 30 and tweaking it into the best shooter I can, and then hunting with it. But just shooting tin cans out in the back yard (big back yard for me lol) is a blast.

I agree that the trick it to not drop a ton of money into a low cost weapon.

I have found that simply a full disassemble / cleaning goes a long way towards getting them shooting much better.

Without stoning the sear or anything, just making sure the trigger parts are clean and not rubbing any wood will help a lot with the trigger pull.

ETA: If you use surplus ammo with corrosive primers, I find that running a few squirts of Windex through the bore to get the salts out then cleaning as usual prevents any problems. (The ammonia in the Windex neutralizes the corrosive salts I have been told, anyway it works for me.) But be sure to clean after firing surplus ammo.

Make sure that no lacquer from some surplus ammo is built up in the chamber to avoid sticky bolt syndrome.

Most M/N's I have fired can be made to shoot 2 - 3 inchs with surplus ammo assuming the crown is ok. Notice that many of them have been counter sunk if the crown was messed up. If not there are home recrownings, but this is not something for the untrained to attempt as a proper crown is key to any barrels accuracy. Of all the things one might do to a M/N if you lack skill / tools a gunsmith recrown is the only one I would consider if I could get it done affordably.

(fortunately for me my son is a metal wizard and I can get him to weld bolts bent or help me crown barrels etc.)

For most just inspect the crown and buy one that is not dinged up and you are good to go.

Free floating the barrel is easy, just pull the stock and put lipstick on the barrel and make sure the stock is clean and dry then assemble it. then take it apart and sand off any lipstick marked spots. Go slow and take minimal amounts off rinse and repeat until no lipstick comes off on the stock. At that point a dollar bill ought to slide up and down the barrel. This prevents stock pressure from effecting barrel harmonics and thus accuracy.

The safety stinks so I had son weld a "U" shaped piece of metal to mine so I can stick my finger in it and pull it back and turn.

Also on my favorite one while I kept it all stock I did have him tap the rear receiver and help me put on a peep sight. My old eyes much prefer this over the stock notch, and I don't have to figure out arshins (russian unit of measure that the older 91/30's sites are graduated in.) Also the stock battle sight zero is 300 yards more or less on the stock sights and the thing shoots high at 100 yards.

To get cosmoline out of the stock I wrap it in old cloth and put it in the car on a hot day and it sweats it out till it is nice and clean. Just wipe off, rinse and repeat till it is all out. Also be sure you get all of it out of all the nooks and crannies of the metal.

These old guns are great, simple, and surprisingly accurate.

And for real excitement watch someone fire the m44 or m39 carbines around dusk. The fireball is enough to incinerate anything that was attacking you. :-)
    Did you fail to read the thread? Or the other MN thread? Or the one before that with all the pictures? Or the thread about the complete rework with instructions?

You could save your self a lot of keyboard work by checking the archives.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thought I heard a echo.........hello?, Hello?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I"m still reading the threads, sorry for any repeated info, but I enjoy talking milsurp weapons all day and night. I have been shooting most of my life, and I still find messing around with anything related to outdoors, hunting, knives, fishing and others is relaxing.

Most of the time I'm probably just typing for the shear joy of remembering all the good times, if it helps someone else though I'm happy, and if I offend, im sorry.

Most here have pretty thick skin, those that don't know who they are. Relax and post.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I do too have thick skin so stop talkin' about me!

I've heard that Quasimodo was an avid MN shooter and stood 6'4" before he got his first MN. Shooting MNs will do that to ya.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Are there any bad Mosin's that I want to stay away from or really good ones that I want to lean towards?
    Go Dawgs

Mosin Nagants are old used military rifles that may have been used anywhere in the world at one point or another.
    They come in a 'as is condition".
    So short answer is.... they are all sorta good, just some better than others.

Most look for good wood, although I have been seeing a lot of the older hex style receivers come with a laminated stock....which is telling me that the original stocked rifles in good condition are getting picked over.

Look at the bore, and generally you will find it dark, but may also be pitted, (rust and corrosion) from not cleaning it....so if you have a choice, pick out the best looking one.
    It may also be counter bored, barrel cut out some into the end a inch or so.......I suppose to clean up wear from the steel cleaning rod.
    My best shooting Nagant is a M38 carbine counter bored and slugs egg shaped???? So go figure.

People also look for matching numbers on all the parts, receiver, barrel, bolt, magazine and such.

Most common is the round receiver 91/30....the long rifle, newer, late 10930's and forward......
    Then you start getting into carbines, M38's, M44's, older hex receivers, Finn m39's.....the options are vast.

Default hello everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Thaddius Bickerton View Post
    I did have him tap the rear receiver and help me put on a peep sight.
    A receiver peep sight is exactly what I'd like for mine. Mind posting some pictures of what you've done?

I would really like to know how one taps the rear receiver for a peep on the M/N?

The bolt goes through the split receiver right where a rear mounted peep would be.

As you move a peep away from the eye it loses its effectiveness.

Mojo makes a peep that fits the rear sight fitting, but I can see no point in putting a peep way out there.

http://www.mojosights.com/mosin_nagant.html

For half the $80 cost you can buy a LER pistol scope and mount it on the barrel grooves and have better long range accuracy.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-30-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Tap it up the side like a marlin 30 30 with a piece bent over the top. Bolt bent to go under it like a scope.
    Thaddius Bickerton

So you have a sniper version?.....without the scope?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I would really like to see a picture of this peep sight conversion. The only way I can visualize it working would include replacing the front sight with a unit at least an inch taller than the stock model, because that rear sight is really going to have to be up there 1/2"-3/4" above the receiver even with a turned down bolt.

I guess I would like to see this as well.......One of the 91/30 Nagants was advertised as a "sniper" version....supposedly with the scope mount holes welded and filled.
    No evidence of this on the receiver, nor was the bolt a 'turned down bolt" as pictured in most pic's of sniper rifles.
    So go figure.....I'm thinking not.

The bubbizied version does have a bent bolt, but looking like a home made job, still not enough room to work with most any sight mounted on the rear of the receiver...so if I'm gonna play with this, I'm going with the 'scout mount" scope.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Hunter, if I were doing mine again I would heat the rear sight block and knock the pin out and remove the whole unit, then mount the LER scop on .22 rimfire mounts using the dovetail the rear sight sits on.

Almost all the "scout mount" gizmos have excessive play and flex to some degree.

That makes the LER scope the cheapest, simplest and most effective of all sight conversions

Gotcha, gonna look for a dovetail, supposed to be one on the long guns, and this one was cut down from a 91/30.....

Did you cut it down or was it already done?

What shape is the muzzle crown in? Not that it matters as long as it shoots good.

I had mine at the range last week, first time I have had it out in a while. I was swapping between it and the Mossburg .308 and getting very disgusted at the very slight difference in the size of the groups compared to the size of the price tag!

It was cut down already, kinda too bad as it's a Remington hex receiver.
    Anyway, the crown is kinda garffed up a bit and a tall front sight was sweated on, or that's the way it looks.

Shoots OK, but I need to fold up the rear sight, then move the slide all the way forward, old style rear sight.....was shooting it at 50 yards getting a 2" group @- 3 o-clock.
    Would really like to get a scope on it as my eyes have a bad time picking up the front and rear at the same time......

It is funny how a 90+ year old rifle does still shoot at all....Hope I'm still shooting at 90.....LOL