Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How good is "Good" - P95 Ruger

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default How good is "Good" - P95 Ruger

I am pointing this at Wingman specifically or any other P95 shooter.

Not being a SA or anything, just wanting some info.

I have an income tax rebate burning a hole in my pocket and a good deal offered on a P95.

Will this make me a good steel plate gun? Ranges are 7-25 yards and all targets are 8" steel disks.

I have been eating up the major caliber division with my .45 but I can not keep up with the poodle shooters and their squib loaded 9mms.

I was hurting them bad with an old model 10 S&W and they upped the shot strings to 8 rounds to crowd me out!

There will be money and beer riding on the results and I do not want to spend the cash and find out the pistol will not keep its shots on a washtub at 10 feet.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

the 95 is a workhouse , ive owned 2 of them, they are beefy in the hand, and arent super accurate , in my hands, i liked them and both shot perfect , they are very very reliable to say the least, not knowing yur deal, if u can get one for under 300 it would be good, cause new most sell right at that , and stainless is like 329.00
    it should do u well in the sport, make sure u get high cap mags also

I don't know about the P95, but another item to check is the S&W Sigma. Catch the rebate time and for 350.00 you can have the pistol and five mags with 16rd capacity each. I spent another 20 to get the trigger pull reduced and it shoots quite nice now. Just a thought for ya.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I can not tolerate the Sigma trigger Natertot. I was down at Bud's with $289 in my hand a few weeks back and put the money back in my pocket when I felt that trigger. The Sigma trigger is totally unacceptable. My P3AT has a better trigger than that thing! I had a $12.95 SNS back in the '60s with a better trigger.

That is one thing I have noticed of late, they are making some real nice double action triggers on various simiautos. I was really shocked that S&W did not do a better job on the Sigma.

I agree Kyrat, that is why I spent 20 to have the trigger pull reduced. The pistol with the trigger pull reduced and five mags for 370 has been a great deal. I love the thing and it has met all my expectations and then some.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

The other aspect is that I am going to use this pistol almost exclusively for shooting steel. It will not be EDC or used for CCW. If I carry a full size pistol for those purposes it will have a stack of .45acp pills in the magazine.

As a competition tool having a single action trigger will give me an advantage over the Sigma DA only type trigger pull.

I also feel they are still working the bugs out of the Sigma system. The P95 seems to be a proven tool with many years production and millions of rounds fired downrange to its credit. that is swaying my opinion to a great degree.

Solid shooter brother. For about 330 dollars you can't beat it and it shoots great as well. I've sent about 2000 rounds down range with mine and it eats all sorts of brands of ammo with no issues. It's a beefy workhorse but a good solid shooter. I just wish I could have more than a 10 round mag here in Kalifornia! I'm planning a video on mine sometime in the near future. I say save money buy the gun and use the money saved on ammo.. Ammo.com and SGammo.com have great specials on 9mm ammo check them out!

I like the P95 and my wife like it also. I got mine after trying a friends P85. I like shooting empty two liter pop bottles at 25yds before they settle between shots.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I have the Ruger p85, got it when it first came out....or I should say used to have.......
    Had about 3 recalls for it, sent it in, they fixed whatever the problem(s) was/were, and returned it with a free magazine.

Don't know about the p95, but I would check to see if any recalls are open on it.

It's metal, and heavy, and I like it....the P85, that is
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

No experience with the 95. I had an 85 that I liked a lot......had to part with it in a trade for some knife making equipment.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Bought it, cleaned it, shot it already. All in less than half a day.

Got to the shop and found a P89 taken in on trade and almost changed the complexion of the deal.

The p89 was used but cared for and the trigger pull was exceptionally good. The P95 came with extras and the pull was nearly as good so I stuck with the P95. Rational was that if shooting would smooth the trigger of the p89 that much, how much better would the p95 get after a thousand rounds?

I shot for function check this afternoon and will go to the club range and check the accuracy tomorrow. You can really eat up some ammo with those 15 round mags! I lost count about half way through the second mag and got to wondering if the thing was ever going to stop.

As far as the quality of the trigger? I shot an old model 39 S&W for many years and this p95 is just as good both SA and DA as the S&W auto. Single action pull was as good as most out of the box revolvers, except is has a two stange take up that one must get accustomed too.

I read that the military has purchased a contract of 5,000 P95 pistols as of 2004. Suposedly going to vehicle drivers and tankers.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-30-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Bought it, cleaned it, shot it already. All in less than half a day.

Got to the shop and found a P89 taken in on trade and almost changed the complexion of the deal.

The p89 was used but cared for and the trigger pull was exceptionally good. The P95 came with extras and the pull was nearly as good so I stuck with the P95. Rational was that if shooting would smooth the trigger of the p89 that much, how much better would the p95 get after a thousand rounds?

I shot for function check this afternoon and will go to the club range and check the accuracy tomorrow. You can really eat up some ammo with those 15 round mags! I lost count about half way through the second mag and got to wondering if the thing was ever going to stop.

As far as the quality of the trigger? I shot an old model 39 S&W for many years and this p95 is just as good both SA and DA as the S&W auto. Single action pull was as good as most out of the box revolvers, except is has a two stange take up that one must get accustomed too.

I read that the military has purchased a contract of 5,000 P95 pistols as of 2004. Suposedly going to vehicle drivers and tankers.
    I'm glad your happy with your purchase. Keep us posted how it holds up for you.

Holding up is one feature that I checked before buying.

First, it passed military acceptance for Army issue.

Second, I found several references from shop owners and clubs that had used p95 models as range rental pistols. One shop owner claimed to have a p95 with 40,000 recorded rounds through it and still going strong with no needed repairs. I figured that was not bad for a plastic poodle shooter.

Over the years I have worn out two sets of .38spl loading dies and the plan is to now wear out a second set of 9mm dies.

Second range report.

Off sandbags the P95 grouped into 3 inches at 25 yards with Federal 115 hardball. It is dead to center with a 6 oclock hold, which is not the way I shoot and will require adjustment, but that is just one of my preferences and no fault of the machine itself. I want the POI at precisely where the top of the front sight touches. That comes from all the hours I spent working on hostage target drills back when I shot competition and wanting the bullet to go exactly where the sights are looking when hunting, not 6" above where the sights touch.

My 121 gn cast bullet reloads shoot a ragged hole at 12 yards off the sandbags.

It also wants more powder than I put in my reloads. Normally I would just monkey with the springs and make it work but this package is balanced pretty well between the hammer spring, recoil sring and strength of the polymer frame. Not wishing to upset that balance I will simply up my anemic powder charge to something closer to "normal" for the 9mm.

As of the 250 round mark I would recommend the p95 to anyone wanting a good rugged reasonably accurate pistol.

I also found that the bedding job on the Mossburg did wonders for that rifle.

All in all this was one of my more pleasant trips to the range. Everything I did worked right!

Now I'm worried.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-01-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Yeah, no shut.....make me leery when every thing goes right....LOL.
    Glad you like the p95, didn't realize it was a polymer frame
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yep, all poly. They do not even have metal inserts for the slide to ride on. It sits right on the plastic.

That gave me some concern except for the fact that they have been around for 10+ years and seem to be holding up to brutal use.

Of the 10 pistols submitted to the gvt for the last joint pistol trials 7 were poly framed. That means they were intended to hold up to firing 5,000 rounds without a hicup and the P95 seems to be capable of more than that.

And to think, I used to worry about the durability of alluminum alloy frames! Back in the '70s I traded off a 39 S&W because I had about 10,000 rounds through it and figured it would not hold up to much more. I'll bet that sucker is still shooting! The pity is that I swapped it for a satin nickel Colt Commander that would be worth really big bucks right now if I had kept it. I swapped it for a Browning A5 because I could not see the sights of the satin nickel Commander in bright sun.

You know how it goes.

We will not discuss the Spanish Condor Legion issued 9mm Astra with matching serial numbered patent leather shoulder holster and numbered magazines I traded for the 39 S&W. That thing would be big dollars on todays market.

I still remember standing there trying to decide between a Browning HP, Colt 1911 and the model 39 S&W. None of them were marked more than $140 brand new. Them were the days.

The Ruger 9* series of pistols are worth every penny. I have had several over the years and have been completely satisfied. Accuracy is fair, reliability/durability is out the ball park. Since $$ seems to be an issue don't overlook a good used S&W 3rd generation auto like the 5906 or 5946. We collectively could not afford the ammo to hurt one of those things. I also own several of these S&W 3rd gens and have been seriously impressed with their accuracy, smooth triggers, and Sherman tank durability. S&W 3rd gens are actually in my top three all time favorite platforms. That says alot because I've owned/used "them all". Good luck.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

I just saw an ad on backpacks.com for a P95 with 2 15 round clips with less that 100 rounds fired for $220
    I think I'm gonna get it
    Go Dawgs

If you can get it for $220 grab it. I will bet it is gone when you call or e-mail.

The magazines are going for $25 each.

I have been pouring fire out of mine for a week now. I have already switched out front sights and bought a 20 round pro-mag magazine, which actually holds 23 rounds. My three mags hold a full box of cartridges.

It is a very comfortable pistol to shoot. Probably the most comfortable I have owned since I parted with my Browning HP more than 30 years ago.

It's mine. The ad went up Sunday. I guess there's too many kind out here. The great deals are still around after a few days.
    What should I look for on it? This will be my first handgun.
    Go Dawgs