Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mosin-Nagant

Default Mosin-Nagant

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat105523380

I wanted to share this...
    A Romanian made Mosin-Nagant 91/30 for $150.
    Ammo pouch and bayonet are included.
    7.62x54R caliber.
    "In a jam, the best friend you have is yourself." -Dick Proenneke

You can get them for $79.95. I will cost you a lot more to get rid of the Mosin bug, though.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3MOSIN9130

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Dunhams Sporting Goods has them either $79.95 or $89.95 every other month, around here.
    Guess it depends on where you are........and yeah all the 'stuff with them as well, sling tools oil bottles, ammo pouches, bayonet.

They are very, very, catching after the first one.........But fun.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

A dealer near here buys 4 crates a year and sells em for $100 a pop.
    I'm afraid.
    I've seen what happened to Hunter and Rick.

<that sounded like a drug deal. In a way it is! I so want one of those.>
    Last edited by LowKey; 12-20-2011 at 09:35 PM.

I need to find a place here that has them. The closest Cabela's is in St. Louis and thats a 4 hour drive.
    "In a jam, the best friend you have is yourself." -Dick Proenneke

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Mouse, look on the list and find a liscensed dealer near you.

http://fflgundealers.net/transfer/missouri/

Get on the phone and talk to them. Find one that will accept shipments and charge you a % for the paperwork, it usually runs about 10-15% + sales tax. Most will even mail a copy of their FFL to the wholeseller if they do not have one on record. Call the internet supplier, order your product and pay directly. They will ship it to the liscensed dealer.

I have a LGS that accepts any order sent to them with my name on it without question. They do not even open up the box untill I arrive. They call me and I come pick up my order, sign the paperwork and take the gun home.

Low Key, I think I was the one that got Hunter and Rick hooked on the MN. I had a cheap rework of the 91/30 complete with pics at one point. I closed mine down from a 4-6 inch group to about 1 1/2" @ 100yds using only free or super cheap fixes. The real challenge is not pumping $400-$500 into one of these $75 guns.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-20-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If you get your C&R they can ship directly to you. That's what I do.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You can get them for $79.95. I will cost you a lot more to get rid of the Mosin bug, though.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3MOSIN9130

This company is thirty minutes from me and are great to deal with. I have never ordered via mail, but my in house dealings with them has always been very pleasant.

On a side note, stay away from surplus ammo. I have found that all the extra hassels to be a little cheaper is not worth. Spend an extra few cents per round and have better shooting and easier care. Has Rick and Hunter have stated, they are addicting. and for $200 bucks, you have a good rifle and a good stash of ammo. How can you go wrong with that?!

I have one coming from AIM as we speak. My boys Christmas present.

Guess why he wants one? They use them on "Call of Duty"' the video game.

Whatever gets the boy into shooting.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Yeah, KRS you do have a way of leading folks astray, don't you....LOL
    I share that ability....as the neighbor has purchased one as well and now know what a "Hex" is....LOL, slippery slope.

I also think the the movie "Enemies at The Gate" did a lot to push the popularity or this rifle.

Then there is always the price tag...easier to collect bottle caps the gold coins.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    On a side note, stay away from surplus ammo. I have found that all the extra hassels to be a little cheaper is not worth. Spend an extra few cents per round and have better shooting and easier care. Has Rick and Hunter have stated, they are addicting. and for $200 bucks, you have a good rifle and a good stash of ammo. How can you go wrong with that?!
    The surplus ammo is why I enjoy shooting the M/N!!!!

I can buy the Russian ball ammo for 18 cents per shot. I can not even buy the slugs to reload for 18 cents!!! Factory ammo is $14 per box minimum. That is a difference of 18 cents to 70 cents and it can not be reduced in this caliber by reloading, since loaded surplus is cheaper than the componants.

Out of one spam can of Russian and one can of Bulgarian (880 rounds total) I have had zero misfires and even with open sights my rifle stays inside 4 inches @100m. Scoped they stay inside 2" easily.

The surplus ammo Aim offers is not WW2 vintage, it is 1970-1980 era, packed in stripper clips, sealed in the spam can. It also seems to have had better QC than the gazillion rounds of AK ammo out there right now. The 7.62R was always intended for use in the M/N and PSL rifles and the DP and PK machine guns that were expected to hit what they looked at.

Yes, the movie realy boosted the MN popularity. It is about the last of the WW2 era surplus rifles one can still acquire at a reasonable price. I have had dozens of Mausers through the years, several Enfields in .303 and a couple of P17 -06 models, and I wish I had every one of them back right now.

Of all of them I like the MN least, but they are all the cheap rifles that are left.

As far as leading anyone astray???? This bunch is already staggering and it does not take much to nudge them off the path.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-21-2011 at 02:18 PM.

WHAT??????.....Honest Dear, it was all Kyrats, fault....LOL.

I like blasting away with the surplus ammo as well, I haven't even tried to change anything to this point.....but it is fun to out shoot a couple of friends with $1500 buck rifles and $600 sights...drives them nuts.

Then I ask them if they would like to give the old girl a try, they always ask..."Well how much ammo do you have"?....I'll answer .."Oh about 800 rounds, give or take, I wasn't keeping track.
    Shoot till your arm falls off.........

We were doing a "spin the 5 gal bucket on a post" at about 170 yds or so.....6.8 upper on an AR vs the 1923 Hex Nagant.
    He really needs to work on those sights, but then again $2 bucks plus per shot vs yeah, about 18 cents. Needs a loan to buy ammo for the "El Tricko AR"

Yes, I Want to Collect All the Different Models that are out there
    Also Looking around for the M1895 Nagant Revolver Too
    Here's a Link For Info http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareNagant.htm
    To Fail Is to Learn from your Mistakes and Advanced off of that Failure.

Yeah,... good luck with that, LOL... because when you get done with the common basic styles...91/30, M38, M44, then you get into receiver types, round/hex, then armories, of course I like the fact that millions were built right here in the USA by Remington, Westinghouse and a bunch of others.

Then you get into captured and redone M39 Finn's and a whole bunch of other variations of all of the above, gonna take a while....and the fun and trick is getting a "find" at a good price.

Passed up Westinghouse Hex receiver Finn M39 at a show here a while back, didn't seem like everything "fit"??? if you know what I mean, like a Rolex for $50 bucks.

Anyway I did find a deal on a Bubbaized Remington Hex at a show, so It won't hurt my feelings to change sights and such.
    I brought it up here a while back, but here's some pic's

I found out, through trial and error, that a cut down stock with 2" bed of epoxey ahead of the receiver and the barrel free floated will outshoot the full stock all day long. That was the final mod that got my groups down to 1 1/2" @100.

From what I can tell about the gun/ammo specs that is about all the setup is capable of doing. "Good enough for government work" as they used to say.

Even the U.S./NATO 7.62x51/.308 specs do not require better than 1 1/2 moa from a test barrel, which is about the same as the soviet requirements. No military ammo is required to give one hole accuracy in spite of the super-sniper claims on the military channel. Factory ammo, made on much of the same machinery, is capable of no better. I have never been able to get a group under 1" @ 100 without precision hand loading and serious tuning of the rifle.

But that is just my experience and most other shooters seem able to make 500 yard shots on ping pong balls with any airsoft gun they happen to stumble over.

Hey, Skinner. Classic Firearms has the pistol for $100. another $10 gets you a hand picked one. Aim Surplus has them for $109.

http://classicarms.us/firearms.htm

Also, Century Arms has a new .32 ACP cylinder that will fit it for $72.95

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=OT500

I agree with Kyrat and Hunter. Why own them if you can't shoot surplus through them. I love the stuff.

Aw, crap, seems there are a bunch of different armories for the pistols, as well....got to check where mine if from...LOL, it will never end!

BTW they are 7 shooters...
    "Well punk, how may shots did I take? 5..or 6, punk.....Do you feel Lucky? Punk?
    ah, ah,ah..not real sure...
    Bang, "well it was 6, punk...but this is a 7 shooter, amf punk"

BTW thanks for the link to the cylinders conversions, Rick.

They aren't fluted but they are supposed to be brand new.

I can't get their page to come up right. You land on a search page. Just plug in Nagant Cylinder and it will come up.

Yeah i looked at them at a show, guy was real proud of the two he had left, wouldn't deal....so is on the back burner for now.

Got a tip on how to "make brass" for these that is pretty far out, but I'm just lacking a .30 cal carbine sizer die to actually give it a try.
    Loading dies are close to a 32/20 and involves sizing down a .223 case.

You know, a few years ago, Sportsman Guide had a "grab bag" of Russian uniforn surplus stuff....thought it would be cool the dress up and run around with the old Nagant ....but alas it was "out of stock".

didn't quit read all the posts but....

I bought a mosin/nagant at a surplus gun shop for $79. I cut the barrel off at a legal 16.5" and re-soldered the front sight on. I stashed it under the hood of my daily driver. I filled an empty 1 qt. oil can/jug full of ammo for it and stashed it under the hood too. The Russian 7.62 x 54 cartridge (30 caliber by same brass case length as 30-06 for the uninformed American) rifle and ammo at the ready 24/7 under the hood of my vehicle was for sure a warm fuzzy. GREAT insurance at a one time cost of $79.

Just saying......
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."