Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 Months Alone in the Woods

Yes, my brother likes hiking and offered to hike out and check on me every weekend for the first month and then every other weekend from there on out.

Sounds reasonable to me.
    Family land, med student, brother checking in. If you're gonna do it that would be a perfect trial run.
    Go for it and let us know how it went.

By the way, are you planning on being out for 3 or 6 months? Your thread title says six, but the OP says 3.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I was planning on starting with three then making the decision to stay or end it once Ive gone that far

You really need to add some spices and beans and rice to your list and other variety items. Eat the same sandwhich day in and day out for 2 weeks and see what happens to your happiness in a normal life! Maybe even some sort of treat to celebrate once in a while. If you have the support you mentioned I would go in as well supplied as possible, skimp as much as possible to try to survive without needing it. But still have supplies as backup just in case. Sometimes 3 months in the woods is terrible but add in a few comforts and it's pretty enjoyable.

Since you have a place to do this, and you plan sounds sort of doable - time to look at your list. I'll give it a closer look after work, but add 10 lbs of rice and 10 lbs of beans. Building a cabin isn't the same as going to Home Depot and slapping up some lumber. You gotta eat - you need your shelter - hunting/foraging takes time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

I waited until others weighed in with their questions and read your answers; not bad since all of the safety concerns have been addressed. 1st aid is paramount and if you haven't had any training then get some! Remember that crap happens to anybody and BE PREPARED! You're going solo so there won't be anybody around to help you. Perhaps a two-way radio or cell-phone of some sort? Two other things, boredom and energy. Boredom is the bigee in the woods, take a book or two. Also if you're going to build a cabin that is going to sap your energy level pretty quick. Take along enough calories to keep yourself going. Remember that a steady diet of rabbits can lead to "Rabbit starvation," so take along some vitamin supplements! Finally be sure you have your Last Will & Testament taken care of and those organ donor cards fill out...you just never know!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

You could also have your brother bring you food supplies on his trips out.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I got this filtered straw a few months ago online and I really like it.

Super compact, lightweight and attaches to my pack.

I'd recommend it for what you're wanting to do.
    Last edited by Rick; 12-22-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Removed Link

rollo - You're trying to blow smoke up our teepee. You own that web site and your "I got this online a few months ago" is utter jibberish. You're just spamming the forum and that's not allowed. If you want to put the URL in your signature you are welcome to do that but if you post a link in the body of a post again it will get you banned. I have a lot more respect when folks link to their website and say, "This is my site" that to try and worm a link in.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coloradopilgrim View Post
    Yes, my brother likes hiking and offered to hike out and check on me every weekend for the first month and then every other weekend from there on out.
    But....But....But the thread title say's "6 months ALONE in the Woods".......?????? To be clear I fully support you did what you want to do, however there is night and day difference in being truly alone for six months.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...n-Change-a-Man........

Also: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...derness+change
    Last edited by Sourdough; 12-22-2011 at 07:27 PM.

And you would know this how? Oh, that's right. You've done it over and over and over and over. It's not like you're an expert at it or anything. Nah.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And you would know this how? Oh, that's right. You've done it over and over and over and over. It's not like you're an expert at it or anything. Nah.
    I only did the 6 months alone once, and that was enough.

I would think that extended isolation from other humans would begin to have a rather bizarre impact on your mental health.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would think that extended isolation from other humans would begin to have a rather bizarre impact on your mental health.
    It sure does. Back then there were no cell or satellite phones. It interesting to hear a human voice after a long absence.

Banned

Wishing you the best. I'm done with my seasonal work at the end of April and am thinking of a nice stay in the wilderness. Sounds like you have a decent plan rolling and good safety valves. Take care!

When I was about 18 or so I got ahold of an old 9x12 white canvass wall tent. I set it up on crown land and lived in it for about three years. This was in Canada in the late '70s, in the Alberta foothills specifically. I would go into town now and then, about a 1-2 hour drive, depending on where I was located, and work for a bit to get food/gas/beer money. There were actually 3 or 4 of us who were camped in various locations, and we kept in touch.

Also, in those days, Forestry Officials would stop by regularly and check on us, bring us news, or just shoot the sh1t.

I did NOT just decide to "go live in the woods", but this evolved through a lot of hunting/fishing/hiking and just being outdoors. It got to the point that it was just as economical and practical to stay out there as to pack up and "go home." I actually had no intention of lliving in the tent for so long, but just thought "I'll stay here until it gets too cold, THEN go home." As it got colder, I adapted, and it was 3 years later when I packed it in.

The key is knowledge and experience. One thing just naturally leads to another.

I'd do it again in a heart beat, but my current situation (wife, kids, kids in college, mortgage...) does not allow it just now.

What caused the egress, or ingress, whichever the case may be?
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Quote Originally Posted by Jergg View Post
    When I was about 18 or so I got ahold of an old 9x12 white canvass wall tent. I set it up on crown land and lived in it for about three years. This was in Canada in the late '70s, in the Alberta foothills specifically. I would go into town now and then, about a 1-2 hour drive, depending on where I was located, and work for a bit to get food/gas/beer money. There were actually 3 or 4 of us who were camped in various locations, and we kept in touch.

Also, in those days, Forestry Officials would stop by regularly and check on us, bring us news, or just shoot the sh1t.

I did NOT just decide to "go live in the woods", but this evolved through a lot of hunting/fishing/hiking and just being outdoors. It got to the point that it was just as economical and practical to stay out there as to pack up and "go home." I actually had no intention of lliving in the tent for so long, but just thought "I'll stay here until it gets too cold, THEN go home." As it got colder, I adapted, and it was 3 years later when I packed it in.

The key is knowledge and experience. One thing just naturally leads to another.

I'd do it again in a heart beat, but my current situation (wife, kids, kids in college, mortgage...) does not allow it just now.
    Now you have just touched on a key reason to do a "live in the woods".
    You do it for a reason, hunting, logging, trapping, prospecting, wildlife research, running from the law, what ever.....So you go in the wild for a reason, not just to say you "dun it".

I thinks most success stories are this way....you have a purpose.

I don't take off on a trip to 'survive", I go and do something, and happen to live there, because it cuts down on all that running back and forth.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    What caused the egress, or ingress, whichever the case may be?
    Ahem...Well, one morning after a night up too late I was awakened by a large, moving shape in the tent and lacked the presence of mind to lie still and let it go out the way it came in. This destroyed the tent, and I never found another, and one thing led to another, and I never got back to it for that length of time. I stayed with a buddy for a bit and then moved on.