Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broke down and ordered me a Grizzly Grinder!

Default Broke down and ordered me a Grizzly Grinder!

Thanks to Crash for his part in my decision and his help with info...and his forever turning out beautiful knives, I dropped the cash for a grizzly!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Woo Hoo. You will find that it is pretty good at eating steel.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Dang! I'm envious. Good for you! I really mean that. The nice thing, Crash has been a good teacher. I can't wait to see some knives. Got a name?

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Dang! I'm envious. Good for you! I really mean that. The nice thing, Crash has been a good teacher. I can't wait to see some knives. Got a name?
    I really don't yet. The farm here is called 'Slippery Hollow" my branding iron is a "Broken S" , my nicknames are "Tex" and "Houston". Let's hear some idea's?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

The best thing at the gun show today (time to pay attention folks) was the custom knives. Some serious coinage!

A lot of makers use their last name. I like the name that Karl came up with for mine. Whatever you choose - it's got to fit on a stencil. You can make your own or have more durable ones made (if you do electro-chemical etching). Another option is to have a tang stamp made. That coupled with a jig and a 20 ton press work well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    A lot of makers use their last name. I like the name that Karl came up with for mine. Whatever you choose - it's got to fit on a stencil. You can make your own or have more durable ones made (if you do electro-chemical etching). Another option is to have a tang stamp made. That coupled with a jig and a 20 ton press work well.
    20 tons! Wow...It is one of things I know about (steel guy) we use 40 tons at work and stamp a paragraph, .030" deep with .25" characters. I think a ton would work for a knife makers mark or I could use a hammer. Not that 20 tons won't work because it will, you can set the stroke depth and the 20 ton machine will never be over tonnaged. I am inclined to stamp my makers mark when I figure it out, since it is what I do.

As you know, I don't use a stamp. There is a maker in our club that did a tutorial on stamping knives. The aluminum jig he had made up that holds both the knife and stamp (hardened steel below the stamping area) was very impressive. I asked him if a one or two ton press would work. He said that he used to use a smaller press and all too often the stamp came out sloppy. He won't use anything less than the 20 ton. He gets a pretty penny for his work, and they are some of the cleanest blades I've seen.

I know that Camp10 uses a hammer as he pulls the knife out of the forge.

The other nice thing about a tang stamp is that a light tap with a hammer on your sheath and you've put your mark there too.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

As you know, I don't use a stamp. There is a maker in our club that did a tutorial on stamping knives. The aluminum jig he had made up that holds both the knife and stamp (hardened steel below the stamping area) was very impressive. I asked him if a one or two ton press would work. He said that he used to use a smaller press and all too often the stamp came out sloppy. He won't use anything less than the 20 ton. He gets a pretty penny for his work, and they are some of the cleanest blades I've seen.

I know that Camp10 uses a hammer as he pulls the knife out of the forge.

The other nice thing about a tang stamp is that a light tap with a hammer on your sheath and you've put your mark there too.
    I think I'll use a hammer and stamp before the forge, we'll see how that works out for me. I did it with my first knife as you may recall. Now just to figure out what I am going to stamp and get it made.

A few names that pop into my head.....

Cowboy Pride Knives
    Broken S Blades
    <insert your name here>
    Swamp Blades

I'll give it some more thought.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A few names that pop into my head.....

Cowboy Pride Knives
    Broken S Blades
    <insert your name here>
    Swamp Blades

I'll give it some more thought.
    I like the word Swamp alot!

Cowboy's Cutters
    Swamp Steel
    Horsepower Knives
    Pony Points
    Mule Ear Blades
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Why do I have this picture of you holding the trespasser's face inches from the whirling sandpaper.

"Now, where's that property line at?"
    "Uh, France. Yeah, it's in France some place."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't see the others was it "swamp rat"'?

Cowboy Pride Knives
    Broken S Blades
    Sorry, these two give me negative connotations. They remind me of a movie I didn't see that was about cowboys. It had "mountain" and "broke" in the title.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Sorry, these two give me negative connotations. They remind me of a movie I didn't see that was about cowboys. It had "mountain" and "broke" in the title.
    Well - I figured Broke Back Blades would have been too obvious.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't get it.
    Most likely that is a good thing.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brokeback_Mountain
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I had to cover the eyes on the picture of John Wayne I have on the wall. My little statue of Buddha turned around. The dog left the room. All the clocks stopped and my picture of Gen. Patton tried to slap me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I had to cover the eyes on the picture of John Wayne I have on the wall. My little statue of Buddha turned around. The dog left the room. All the clocks stopped and my picture of Gen. Patton tried to slap me.
    Laughing my arse off!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.