Thread: My volunteer Mullein

Default My volunteer Mullein

I'm letting one of my garden beds rest this year. This is what volunteered to help with the resting.

DSC03169.jpg
    when it comes to relationships, the line between helpful & hurtful is difficult to draw, but easy to cross

Ain't Mother Nature grand?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It's interesting how different a plant is due to the geographic location. The further south, the more robust it grows.

Looks like you have a CIP on toilet paper this year!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Good stuff. I don't have to worry about cultivating it, it is always growing some were. I use it in Knick knick and a medicinal smoking blend to suppress a cough.
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 05-27-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

That stuff grows all over my driveway and patio at "The Place".......I need to look at it differently...
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Good info here. Thanks
    when it comes to relationships, the line between helpful & hurtful is difficult to draw, but easy to cross

I have been pullin, and pullin, and pullin'......stuff is everwhere.....free mullen, bring a truck.......help your self!

HeHeHe . . . Pullin Mullien

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

it is great for colds / coughs / respitory uses, both smoked and in teas.

The stalks make great fire spindles

The pith can be used as a tinder for flint and steel, (I have had little success with it however.)

Mullen is one of the healing . useful herbs, it is your friend,

Also if you can't find mullen or want to enhance your smoke blend, try dried purple top clovers, these are a broncheal dialator and help with breathing when the smoke is inhaled also.

I tend to use one or both in all my pipe blends. That and my Church Warden are my "luxuries" when I go walkabout. I mostly skip on tobacco in my blends and use other stuff instead.

thanks for sharing, I Love volunteer plants. I keep a "gurrellia garden" all over the swampy and mtn areas of my land. Just play johnny appleseed and put out stuff that I think might make it, and I can find useful stuff growing everywhere.

Just think how nice it would be if we all took a few seeds / tater starts etc with us to the woods and just planted them everywhere. Someone somewhere would gain a blessing from it.

That's freedom for ya aint it?
    Thaddius Bickerton

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I have been pullin, and pullin, and pullin'......stuff is everwhere.....free mullen, bring a truck.......help your self!
    H63 - Write a "letter to the editor" of your local paper that goes something like....

I've got this invasive plant that is giving me trouble. I've heard there are some hallucinogenic properties to them. I was told that if you pull them out by the roots and dry them they give an incredible high. Now - I don't want any of the locals to stumble across them by accident over here at (insert address here), so what is the best way to get rid of them?

Your field should be picked clean within 24 hours.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Now that is a excellent idea......(heading off to write a letter, DW agrees.....)

Quote Originally Posted by Thaddius Bickerton View Post
    it is great for colds / coughs / respitory uses, both smoked and in teas.

The stalks make great fire spindles

The pith can be used as a tinder for flint and steel, (I have had little success with it however.)

Mullen is one of the healing . useful herbs, it is your friend,

Also if you can't find mullen or want to enhance your smoke blend, try dried purple top clovers, these are a broncheal dialator and help with breathing when the smoke is inhaled also.

I tend to use one or both in all my pipe blends. That and my Church Warden are my "luxuries" when I go walkabout. I mostly skip on tobacco in my blends and use other stuff instead.

thanks for sharing, I Love volunteer plants. I keep a "gurrellia garden" all over the swampy and mtn areas of my land. Just play johnny appleseed and put out stuff that I think might make it, and I can find useful stuff growing everywhere.

Just think how nice it would be if we all took a few seeds / tater starts etc with us to the woods and just planted them everywhere. Someone somewhere would gain a blessing from it.

That's freedom for ya aint it?
    Gather the flowers put in a jar fill with olive oil to cover flowers let set 2 weeks shaking and mixing daily, strain the flowers out and you have a great ear ache medicine,ear wax remover.
    Semper Paratus

I understand that there are many uses for Mullein and from what I have read there needs to be. The site I read stated that one plant can produce 100,000 seeds which are viable for up to 100 years. Just laying there waiting for their chance. Now this is a plant with a will to carry on the species if I ever heard of one.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.