Thread: Time Change

Default Time Change

For those of you that participate in the twice a year ritual of changing your clocks, don't forget that this weekend you get to do it again. It's also a good time to take care of a few other things.

Change batteries in your smoke detectors and test them.
    Change batteries in your CO detectors and test them.
    Check your fire extinguishers.
    Review your plans (bug in, bug out, communications, etc.)
    Inventory your supplies.

There are lots of other things we can all do. Some we do on a continuing basis, but others are sometimes an out of sight, out of mind sort of thing. Take care of these things!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We just started changing time two years ago so twice a year Hoosiers stand around going, "Okay, is it fall forward and spring back or fall down and jump up or spring forward and trip?"
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks for then heads up

I also check all flashlights batteries.
    Vehicle BOB are changed out from summer to winter, (water removed for inside the totes), and dates checked on carried supplies.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

For those of us that live or travel where it snows: tire chains, spare blankets, cardboard (for between you and ground when putting on chains, emergency repairs, blocking raidator from freezing wind), snow/ice cleats, warm gloves, spare radiator hose (more break in the winter than you think) charged jumpstart boxes, and sand.

This is a tradition we all must do our best to preserve in a post SHTF scenario... lol

All great additions to the check list. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Aha! This year I did it first! Checked the usual suspects.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Update your bug out bag with winter clothes if you haven't done so already. I went through mine last month. Good reminder, Crash.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This is a subject That I struggle with in some instances, and border on OCD in others.

The OCD is with my survival kit/day bag. It is checked and double checked often. There are seasonal triggers for some minor changes in contents (e.g. more fishing tackle in the spring, changes in what field guide I carry, etc ).

But my approach to the vehicle bags, the home emergency kit, the BOB, could best be described as Henny Penny. They are typically reviewed only when there is a perceived threat from the weather. I just do not obsess with those as much, shameful I know. Crash's post leads me to think that a somewhat formal preparedness calendar could be of use, certainly for myself, possibly to this community.

I could develop and maintain a google calendar with reminders for inventory, stock rotation, maintenance, as well as other things that could be shared. Anyone with a web browser could view it. Anyone with a google account could copy from it to a personal calendar, and get automatic reminders. Events can be set up periodic and perpetual. I offer a link to an example of what I am talking about, I think html code off prohibits me from embedding it.

ISRM Calendar

Is this something that this community could/would use? I'd be glad to maintain it.

I find that there spring forward/fall back works for me.....I don't want to spend too much time obsessing over this stuff........Thanks for the thought.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I think if it works for you then go for it. I don't obsess either. I have my bags and the only thing that gets changed are the clothes in spring and late fall. I also check med dates at the same time. Other than that they just sit there quietly waiting on me.

This year I have decided to spend all the daylight that I have been saving. I figure if I don't spend it, someone else will.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Roll it over into next year. If you keep doing that when you retire the rest of your life will be in daylight.

When you're napping, it won't matter whether its daylight, twilight or middle of the night.
    You don't have to be retired to know that.

Retired? Is that like refried? It works for beans, so.............
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't know. The smell's the same, though.

You should run a test and video it for everyone's benefit. Since you're the science minister, and all.
    The last place we wanna find out is in a sealed bunker.