Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: should i remove the coat of my becker bk2?

Default should i remove the coat of my becker bk2?

I got it yesterday, my first proper knife and have heard that you should remove the coating from the blade. should i? it looks so good as it is and if so how should i remove it

What reasons have been given to remove the coating??? I would recommend using the knife as is if the coating isn't in the way, Why remove it.
    The only reason I can think of to remove the coating is to make the blade a polished surface for signaling for help.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

KaBar considers the knife a combat knife and has an NSN number assigned to it as such. Hence the coated blade. I see no reason to remove a coating that was built into the price of the knife. If you wanted a polished blade then you should have bought a polished blade. My humble opinion, of course.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I would not remove the coating. The coating is what helps to protect your blade from rusting. Have you asked those that are telling you to remove the coating why? Honestly, the only reasons I can think to remove the coating are 1) you like the way it looks better, or 2) remove a very small section on the spine to facilitate using a firesteel. If #1 is the case - you bought the wrong knife. If #2 is the case - there are other options.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Do NOT remove the coating. And inform whom ever advised removing it that they are a stupid, dumb'arse. And congratulations on buying a top shelf knife. If you ever hear that they are discontinued, buy two more. If you have children buy two for each child, the BK-2 is a first class knife, yes it is butt ugly, but it get's the job done.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 12-08-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Lots of people claim that an uncoated blade cuts better as there is less for the material to drag on. My thoughts that if there is any truth to this, then the difference would be negligible. I'd say to leave it on unless you think you will like the looks better. If you do decide to remove it, I hear people use oven cleaner.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Nope, don't remove it. It was put there to prevent corrosion. Why would any one want to undo that? If you need to strike a firesteel, use a firesteel striker or the side of your hatchet. I think a Bic lighter works better most of the time anyway .
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to remove the protective coating on anything. If the knife is sharp it will cut, the coating isn't going to bother it. What are you going to use the knife for? If you are going to use the knife for camp chores then get a camp knife. If you bought it because it's cool then put it in the sheath and leave it there so you won't cut yourself.

I removed the epoxy coating from mine because it plugged up my sharpening stones. I did leave it under the scales. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D'Antonio View Post
    I removed the epoxy coating from mine because it plugged up my sharpening stones. I did leave it under the scales. Mike

Since there is no coating on the secondary bevel (cutting edge) I'm curious as to how it was plugging up your sharpening stones.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

I'll be the lone dissenter. I'm new here, I can take the heat. I look at most purchases and look at what value I can get compared to what I want. I have a BK2 because I recongnize that you cannot beat it at $60 (what I paid, off Amazon). Good steel, good size and shape, nice and thick, American made, yada yada. BUT, I hate the handle and the handle shape and I don't like painted blades (or epoxy, or whatever you want to call that stuff.)

I replaced the PLASTIC handle with English walnut and pinned and epoxied the handles. I won't have to worry about the screws coming loose now. In order to get the epoxy to hold, I had to remove the paint, which took about 10 minutes with paint stripper. You do need to protect the steel against rust. I chose a mustard patina (look it up on youtube). I protected my Mora with gun blue.

It's your knife. Do whatever you want with it. If you don't like a painted blade, strip it.

Goog

Well - since he hasn't been back in the year and a half since he asked the question- we may never know what the final decision was or even why he wanted to strip it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Well - since he hasn't been back in the year and a half since he asked the question- we may never know what the final decision was or even why he wanted to strip it.
    Well....MERDE! I fell into the trap of responding to an old thread. I stand by my reply, anyway.

Goog

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I parkerized it.....I know...old...but WTH....the finish they come with is grippy.....and it marrs up with the first few uses.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The real deal is that a well used quality knife will develop a patina with use.

Becker puts that "coating" on there because they know there ain't no chance a patina is going to appear.

If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Dirt, wood and steel

The coating will wear off with heavy use. It will do no harm to the knife to remove the coating and it can be done with a simple citrus stripper. I actually had splinters stuck in the coating after a weekend trip last summer, so off it came. One of the best things about the BK-2 is its a rough, unfinished knife just begging to be modded to your liking.
    If you don't like the "blackticool" look, get rid of it.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not sure why the pics uploaded so small. Never had an image uploader do that. I just saw that it's an old thread as well. Better late than never I guess.
    Last edited by Boroffski; 04-08-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Your pictures were loaded as thumbnails (saves bandwith). To see the larger version just click on the picture.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The real deal is that a well used quality knife will develop a patina with use.

Becker puts that "coating" on there because they know there ain't no chance a patina is going to appear.

.....Now that is funny, I don't care who you are.......
    Sorry, but in the buck skinner world, if your stuff doesn't have patina, you are considered a flat-lander....Nicknamed in our area as 'puce"....as in "You got that knife puced up good"......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

They just don't understand Hunter.

The knives that won the west and cleared the wilderness were stolen from the kitchen cabinet!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

...or taken from some one that did.....LOL
    It's better to look marvelous, than to be useful.....I guess...LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27