Thread: Which ones more reliable, live traps or noose snares?

Default Which ones more reliable, live traps or noose snares?

I like traps and snares because, they constantly are ready to kill or trap a animal, no matter where you are or what your doing. Aslo it takes minimal energy, and materials to build them. My question is, which one is more practical and reliable, live traps or noose snares?

I think it depends on the trapper. The live trap is probably more reliable. Also the live trap is probably legal where the snares usually are not most places. But I could carry a lot of snares and have a lot of sets compared to the live trap.

I watched your video, good job. Probably removed due to advertising your website. Don't let it discourage you. Rules are rules.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I watched your video, good job. Probably removed due to advertising your website. Don't let it discourage you. Rules are rules.
    Ditto, i mentioned this the other day, but rabbits love apples. That is what I use for bait in my traps to answer the question you asked in your vid.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Thanks! I made that video for you YouTube, that is why I had the ad in the video.

A link to your store is psoted at the bottom of all your YouTubes. You can't post them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This is a simple diagram of the box traps I build.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The red pointy thing in the back is the trigger, on top is the lever, and in front is the door. The blue thing connecting the lever and the door to each other is string. You spear the apple onto the trigger and when it tries to take the apple it trips the trap causing the door to drop. I use a see through grate on the back of the trap to make it a little more effective and so you can see what you for in it before you open the door. I also smear apple all over the door to act as a scent lure kind of.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Wow great, seems like it would work well!
    Last edited by SurvivingtoThriving; 12-04-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    A link to your store is psoted at the bottom of all your YouTubes. You can't post them.
    Sorry didn't know that, I am new here!

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivingtoThriving View Post
    Wow great, seems like it would work well!
    I have only ever caught one this way, but I am for sure it is due to the material I used to build them. The door is tripped almost every time and there is rabbit sign all around the trap. But since I made the traps out of scrap material that was lying around, the plywood door swells and sticks when it is tripped. Plus the traps are made from 1" ruff cut wood, so the traps way a ton. But I know this is a tried and true design, I just need to gat some proper material and make some better traps. I may do that is winter if I got time.
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    there is rabbit sign all around the trap
    Like these?

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Like these?

More Like this....
    Thomas Paine

Great! Going to have to try and build one!

Just make sure you build it long enough so the rabbit doesn't have time to back out before the trap sets.
    Thomas Paine

Hi, i am new to the group, i build traps like this only bigger to trap wild pigs.they work very well.

I don't know if it would matter for a rabbit but when I build box traps I use hardware cloth on the closed end. I think animals are more inclined to go in a box if they can see through the end.

Ahaa I read in Sparkys post about the grate end after I posted.
    Last edited by randyt; 12-04-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added text

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I don't know if it would matter for a rabbit but when I build box traps I use hardware cloth on the closed end. I think animals are more inclined to go in a box if they can see through the end.
    Same here, except I use some 1/8" perforated metal laying around the garage (think that's what the stuff is called). Also it may make the animal jump forward instead of back when the trap sets.
    Thomas Paine