Thread: Soaking your fruit and vegetables

Default Soaking your fruit and vegetables

Do you remember the e.coli lettuce? I was reading about this family in Africa and they soak their fruit and vegetables in water with tincture of iodine to kill the micro organisms. I was talking to the misses about this and she said, when she was in Korea they would soak their fruits and vegetables in bleach water. "A tea spoon of bleach to a gallon of water".

A thorough washing may not be enough for some things that would be eaten without cooking. Especially if the food has been compromised with human or animal waste.

I wash my winter squash in a mild bleach solution before storing them for the winter. Head lettuce that I purchase always has the outer leaves discarded and the remainder washed. You're correct, rinsing it just won't do it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

When the parents were living in Egypt they also washed fruits and vegetables with a bleach solution and rinsed them real well. Of course the water wasn't always so good either. For plain drinking water, mom would boil it before chilling in the fridge. Most vegetables were cooked rather than eaten raw, and most fruits had pare-able rinds. Chickens were always fresh killed while you watched, if you wanted beef you had to find something called 'young buffalo' or it was inedible, and you only ate fish if you knew the fisherman and he was just coming home with his catch. To keep flies off fish in the general market, the vendors sprayed Raid into the air (and on the fish).

And they wonder why the average life span is like 5.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yea but its a solution of water and Iodide - and folks like me get sick on even a small amount of iodide.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907