Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mora of Sweden Knife vs military survival knife

I used to flop back and forth between the ka-bar and mora. The last couple of years the mora has been used the most. I like the weight, size and feel of the mora. I don't chop with it, I carry a hawk for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If you look at the belt loop, you'll see the standard belt loop fits a 1 inch belt. There is also a key hole in the belt loop that fits over a button. Since most craftsmen in Sweden wear coveralls, especially in the winter, the key hole fits over a button on the outside of the coverall. You'll find this type of sheath on most traditional knives and craftsman knives.

Mora has also come out with two new belt loops. One is a closed 2 1/2 inch belt loop and the other is an open belt loop that slips over the belt and has a small tab that catches on the underside of the belt. It fits a 1 1/2 inch belt. These are mostly found on the newer non-traditional knives.
    I have not ordered a new one for a awhile, I will have to look into the new sheaths. Thanks for the info!

Carried a Mora for years and still would if they still offered the 550 in green rather then the red. I carried a Finlandish Puukko around my neck right now. Carried the big military knives when I was with the forces but since then I've switched to puukkos for a few reasons.....
    1) Smaller blade allows me to EDC carry a fixed blade without raising alarms around me
    2) The scandi grind is one of the easiest and sharped grinds to maintain
    3) Like Mors says "If you need more then a Mora, you need more practice not a bigger knife."

Sadly, the 550 went the way of the DoDo Bird.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Why must it be green?

Even in the military they issue the paratroops an orange switchblade so they won't lose it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivingtoThriving View Post
    Its not that the sheath doesn't protect the knife and protect you from the knife, its that the sheath belt loops are engineered badly and they are vary uncomfortable. Also the belt loops usually don't fit on your average leather belt.
    That is why I made my own sheath for my mora 710
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I also modified the sheath on the 511 to be more comfortable to carry on a belt.

I don't buy a knife because the sheath is good. I buy a knife because the knife is good. I can easily change the sheath.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

The green 550 was just personal preference. I still have a few red ones kicking around but I find they look like toys.

I apologize...... Its the Mora 510 I'm referring to... not the 550. Confusing my knives with my cordage. lol

Sadly, the 510 went the way of the 511 that went the way of the DoDo bird.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ragweed forge still has the 511 and the 546 in green if you desire

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

Nope. Sorry. The 511 is red and the 546 is blue. If you want a green one try the 546MG, the 11827 or 11863, 746G, 860MG or 2000. There is a new Bushcraft Survival Knife but it's pretty expensive; about $70. There's also a Forest Camo in the $40 range.

I think that's all the green ones.

There's always this option.......

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Or any number and Krylon.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you had to ask...

Here's the problem with this thread. You're asking for a "one size fits all" type of knife and there just ain't no such animal. I own several knives, the two largest being a Becker Combat Bowie and a Ka-Bar Kukri. My favorite light duty knife is the Mora 2000. That blade grind is simply fabulous, and one of our members who's an Alaskan guide quartered a moose with one! So if I have to pick just one it'd be the Mora 2000. I don't worry about the sheath as I've hung it on a loop of 550 cord and hang it around my neck. For chopping I use a lightweight Buck hand ax.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Here's what is weird with this thread.

Mora makes the Swedish Military Survival Knife. Rather, did make it, now Fallkniven makes it. Fallknivens are so much nicer.

Look at military issue survival knives.

USA

UK

France

Sweden

Germany

I could go on, but it's like us, everybody likes something differant. Out of those, I'd be happy with the brit Mod O paired with the German army folder. If only one knife out of those I'd have to go with the swedish fallkniven.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I surrender. I took the French knife.

Are you sure that's the official French-issue knife? I don't see a corkscrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Nope. Sorry. The 511 is red and the 546 is blue. If you want a green one try the 546MG, the 11827 or 11863, 746G, 860MG or 2000. There is a new Bushcraft Survival Knife but it's pretty expensive; about $70. There's also a Forest Camo in the $40 range.

I think that's all the green ones.
    http://www.ragweedforge.com/546-g.jpg

In green right below the 546 in blue. Price is $12
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-19-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Yes. It's the 546G. That's a different knife than the 546. If you ask Jim for a 546 you'll get the blue one. If you ask him for a 546G you'll get the green one.

Horses for courses, A tool can only be made to perfrom well at so many tasks before it becomes equally useless at everything. If i had to choose one knife i would take the more durable of the two since i would have more confidence beating on it. Like alot of members have said above you would be best carrying several knives to suit your needs rather than relying on just one.
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.