Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mora of Sweden Knife vs military survival knife

Default Mora of Sweden Knife vs military survival knife

I have both knifes, and I love both too, but they both have their pros and cons.Morakniv classic 1 carbon sheath.jpg The Mora of Sweden Knife, comes razor sharp and stays that way with vary little honing. It does not have the weight to chop branches or logs, but you can baton it if needed.1235886985167-55739858.jpgThe military survival knife, is not sharp out of the box, but you can get a decent edge on it with a wet stone. It does have the blade length and weight to hack through 2-4 in inch logs. Both knifes are a good price and well made. Which one would you rely on in a survival situation?

Who's the military knife made by and what kind of survival situation? If it's war, I might go with the military knife. If it's too far to walk back to the truck probably the Mora.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Who's the military knife made by and what kind of survival situation? If it's war, I might go with the military knife. If it's too far to walk back to the truck probably the Mora.
    I didn't get directly from the maker, so not sure. The survival situation would be in the Canadian boreal forests.

If I don't know the maker then I can't judge the quality of the knife. You're not really comparing apples to apples. A knife is a tool for a specialized job. Those two knives are meant to perform different tasks even though some work will overlap. Most on here carry multiple knives so they have the right tool for the job.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Read through this on the survival scenario. While it sounds pretty straight forward, it's not. Time of year, location, geography and weather all play a role in survival scenarios.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...rio-Check-List

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivingtoThriving View Post
    I didn't get directly from the maker, so not sure. The survival situation would be in the Canadian boreal forests.
    Mors Kochanski, a top survival teacher in the Canadian Boreal forest, rely's on just his Mora knife; he teaches all of his students to do the same. His way of wearing the knife around his neck is oft-times copied by his students, such as Cody Lundin. However, like Rick says, each knife has a specific job and I would go with whichever knife is easily at hand without worry. Next question?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

What I was trying to say is, would you rather have the small razor sharp blade of the mora knife, or the heavy chopping power of the military knife.

Banned
    Blog Entries

What I was trying to say is, would you rather have the small razor sharp blade of the mora knife, or the heavy chopping power of the military knife.
    I choose to have a LOT of both and everything in between.........

All depends on what needs doing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

As a general purpose/utility knife, it hard to beat a Mora. IMO the Mora would be a more handy woodscraft knife than a large clunky "Rambo" knife. There is a time and place for a large knife but mostly everything you need to do with a knife can be done just fine with a 4 1/2 " blade Mora. Others MMV.
    9mm: Because I've seen a .45 bounce off of a windshield MORE THAN ONCE.

9mm: Because even 1911 guys don't want to get shot with one of my "little" bullets.

9mm: Because low round count single stack pistols suck in a gun fight!

Quote Originally Posted by glockcop View Post
    As a general purpose/utility knife, it hard to beat a Mora. IMO the Mora would be a more handy woodscraft knife than a large clunky "Rambo" knife. There is a time and place for a large knife but mostly everything you need to do with a knife can be done just fine with a 4 1/2 " blade Mora. Others MMV.
    I agree, there is not allot of things a Mora knife can't do when you are deal with bush-craft and all purpose uses.

I have carried a K-BAR in the wilds of Michigan's U.P. for years, it has done everything that I have asked it to do. I haven't ever had a Mora but I do carry a Buck folder on my belt. With a leatherman and a small 3 bladed pocket knife, all have done what I have asked them to do.
    But I have been thinking about getting a Mora if for no other reason than just to try it. I don't go out into the bush much anymore, and a sheath knife makes alot of eye brows twitch with the sight of a sheath knife, so I very seldom carry one anymore.
    Good luck and stay safe, it's a jungle out there.
    Tank

I owned a Mora once. Mine was like the one you see Cody Lundin wearing on his necklace. I didn't like it.

It was plenty sharp but, the wood handle on it was too slippery and there was no guard to keep my fingers from sliding down to the blade and getting sliced. This was especially true when I tried to use it to field dress an elk. Bloody hands and a slippery knife were a very bad combination. Nothing tragic happened but, I decided very quickly that the Mora wasn't a knife for me. (I know they make other knives, even some with rubber handles, but I just don't like those. They don't feel right in my hand.)

I also didn't like the cheap plastic sheath that came with the knife. It was worse than worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
    I owned a Mora once. Mine was like the one you see Cody Lundin wearing on his necklace. I didn't like it.

It was plenty sharp but, the wood handle on it was too slippery and there was no guard to keep my fingers from sliding down to the blade and getting sliced. This was especially true when I tried to use it to field dress an elk. Bloody hands and a slippery knife were a very bad combination. Nothing tragic happened but, I decided very quickly that the Mora wasn't a knife for me. (I know they make other knives, even some with rubber handles, but I just don't like those. They don't feel right in my hand.)

I also didn't like the cheap plastic sheath that came with the knife. It was worse than worthless.
    I agree the sheaths are horrific on the Mora knifes.

What do you want a sheath to do?

A Mora will do 90% of your camp chores no problem, but it wouldn't be my only knife.
    Although I've seen it Baton through small logs I don't think it would last for very long doing it!

You never know when you'll get lost or injured (or both) and I wouldn't want to be cought in that situation with only my Mora.
    If I go for a walk I'd bring the Junglas.

And I am talking about deep wilderness but, As Rick said It all depends on your situation.
    If your situation is a public campground I'd get the Mora.
    Last edited by socom2173; 12-06-2011 at 08:23 PM.

I'm with you, Socom. As I said earlier, most on here carry more than one knife. I do because I expect them to perform different jobs. I also agree with you on the batoning. Not something I'd want to do with my only knife.

There are a couple of ways to split your wood with only a knife and not force your knife to take a lot of abuse.

1. Cut a chisel shape on the end of a piece of wood about the size of your forearm. Then, for the wood you need to spit, just begin to baton with your knife so you have a split in the wood. Insert the chisel end of the other piece of wood in the split and drive it through with a rock.

2. Lay the piece of wood you need to split horizontal. At the center point of the wood, baton your knife half way through the diameter of the wood. Then give the wood a good rap, cut side up, across a sturdy log with the mid point of the wood landing on the log. (I hope that makes sense). Hit the log with the wood at the midpoint with the cut on the up side (better?). The out end of the wood will split from the cut longways right down the center of the wood. Turn the wood around so you are holding the end that has split and rap it again. The other end will split from the cut longways right down the center of the wood. You will now have the long half of the wood in your hands and two half pieces on the ground. Either give the long piece a rap on the log or wedge it between two smaller trees and break it in half so you have four pieces of firewood and you've done very little work with your knife.

I hope that makes sense.

I'm not talking cabin logs here. I'm talking about firewood. Smaller limbs for a campfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What do you want a sheath to do?
    Its not that the sheath doesn't protect the knife and protect you from the knife, its that the sheath belt loops are engineered badly and they are vary uncomfortable. Also the belt loops usually don't fit on your average leather belt.

If you look at the belt loop, you'll see the standard belt loop fits a 1 inch belt. There is also a key hole in the belt loop that fits over a button. Since most craftsmen in Sweden wear coveralls, especially in the winter, the key hole fits over a button on the outside of the coverall. You'll find this type of sheath on most traditional knives and craftsman knives.

Mora has also come out with two new belt loops. One is a closed 2 1/2 inch belt loop and the other is an open belt loop that slips over the belt and has a small tab that catches on the underside of the belt. It fits a 1 1/2 inch belt. These are mostly found on the newer non-traditional knives.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm asked quite often what is the best survival knife? My answer has stayed the same for many years - "The best knife is one you are willing to carry with you all the time while in the field". Considering survival situations occur unexpectedly, you can't plan to have your "survival knife" when you need it. The knife you have with you will be your survival knife. So, choosing a knife is only half the issue, the other half is - are you willing to carry that knife with you all the time?
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com