Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cottonmouth for dinner

Ever read of "rabbit starvation" ? Story goes that 'back in the day trappers would eat plenty of rabbit in the hard months and die. The 'engines would eat rabbit in the hard months and live. The difference? The 'engines ate the meat, the (pounded) bones, the marrow and some of the organs.

Science says that rabbit meat requires an essential enzyme in your gut to digest it, but the rabbit does not replace the enzyme- hence the white trappers could eat themselves to death.

Moral of the story: eat the (pounded/powdered) bones, and all the critter you can.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Rabbit starvation refers to a no fat, no carbohydrate, high protein diet.

Mr. Stefansson wrote, "The groups that depend on blubber animals are the most fortunate in the hunting way of life, for they never suffer from fat-hunger. This trouble is worst, so far as North America is concerned, among those forest Indians who depend at times on rabbits, the leanest animal in the North, and who develop the extreme fat-hunger known as rabbit-starvation. Rabbit eaters, if they have no fat from another source - beaver, moose, fish - will develop diarrhea in about a week, with headache, lassitude, a vague discomfort. If there are enough rabbits, the people eat till their stomachs are distended; but no matter how much they eat they feel unsatisfied."

The Indians of the north hunted older reindeer bucks, because they carried an enormous slab of back fat that could weigh up to 50 pounds. They then made pemmican by mixing fat with meat in a proportion of one-to-one by volume. By caloric content, the pemmican amounted to 80% of mostly saturated fat calories to 20% protein calories. And don’t forget - among the northern Indians, cancer and heart disease were nonexistent.

Anyone who is compelled to live for several weeks on little but lean meat will actually experience rabbit starvation. Without fat or carbohydrates, it will make no difference the quantity of meat ingested. He will be hungry after every meal and will lose strength or become ill.
    Source: http://www.raising-rabbits.com/rabbit-starvation.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel