Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a H&R Topper a good hunting shotgun?

Where I grew up I had an H&R Break open 16 gauge shotgun as my only gun for much of my childhood and teen years. It was my grandfathers handed down to me. It was a heavy bastard but it worked and I loved it and carried it around everywhere for bird hunting and plinking...I´m sure it was a topper or the ancestor of one....However I did buy a Rem 870 Wingmaster pump with full choke after that which I used more for hunting but I still care for that old break open sweet 16...lots of memories...

The Topper is a good little simple gun. I have shot one in they are worth the money.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

First shotgun I owned was a 20 gauge topper, then a 12 gauge.

Learning to shoot those things when I was 10 and 11 got me so used to recoil that I have to pretty much get up into the large bore magnums before it becomes a problem for me to handle.

If were me I would look at one of those combo rifle / shotgun /blackpowder things and get all three if money were tight and I wanted a all in one solution.

The 12 gauge was used and the stock beat to pieces. I got some broken pieces of glass and slowly scraped the thing smooth, removing a bit of the clunkyness in that old shotty. After that it was very comfortable to handle and shoot.

Then I got a Fox double 12 gauge and pretty much that became my go to shotgun. I still love that weapon, even though I have shortened the barrels from 28 inches down to 23 and 1/2 inches and cylinder bore. Added a set of express sights silver soldered on the rib, and a few other changes including a sling.

I bought up a hundred of those all brass 12 gauge shotshells and have been reloading them for the last couple years. Using slugs and my reloads I can get both barrels to hit in a 4 inch circle at 50 yards. It is my "poor mans double rifle". Nice for pigs and close in deer.

For greater range and starting this year my new rifle will be my Ruger gunsite scout rifle. I just love that thing in .308, even if it was very pricy. For the money you could buy a h&R shotgun , rifle , black powder rifle, and a bunch of ammo, but I finally decided to get me my "one" rifle and after a lot of hunting around, the GSR was it for me.

Get the topper it will work if you will.

Thad.
    Thaddius Bickerton

I have an h&r passed down from my grandfather. It's pretty much retired now but it's serverd well for over 70 years. The newer ones don't have that old look but they are solid.

Thad - Did you have to go with an LER scope on that?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

ive had many of them, all different ga. and buck for buck you arent goin to find a better buy in shotguns, simple and they work!

I have one of the "Survivor" variety. (Made just for Y2K). I have taken many grouse and quail with it. Pretty much my favorite firearm.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

They do tend to get addicting......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27