Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trichinosis and infected meat

Default Trichinosis and infected meat

Hello!
    I guess none of you would not want to get sick trichinellosis, infected by bushmeat. This is very dangerous disease caused by the larvae Trichinella Spiralic

05-0461_b1.jpg
    5175568.jpg

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This is a universal disease among wild game animals world wide.

Just cook any "bushmeat" to well done and the infestation is distroyed.

I had a friend die from this disease back in the 1960s. It was not a pleasant way to go. He was in great pain for several years before expiring.

I also lost a friend to ameobic disentary. You definately do not want to die with that!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-12-2012 at 07:45 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

We cook hog well. But for venison we like it rare. Most everything else is cooked medium.

I seem to worry more about brucellosis when processing hogs. Yet, some how I always end up with ripped latex gloves anyway. I know quite a few hunters who don't wear gloves when processing game at all.

Trichinella often found in meat bear, wild boar and badger. Our hunters are show the meat in a laboratory. Who is richer. But who is not rich - its just good cooks. Aroynd 6 hours. Maybe even all night.
    My website - The Free - Freedom!
    And this article About me

I like my meat to have black crispy edges. When I eat soup it's scalding; stew is cooked for hours at a time. So take that trichinosis!
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

A good topic as Black Bear opens here tomorrow. For this very reason I cook my bear well done! Trichinosis does not sound like fun...
    Even the Dalai Lama had to bug out…

Trichinella (T. sp.) are actually killed at a fairly low temperature (137°F) hence the age old rule of thumb to cook game and pork to an internal temperature of 160°F. Recently, recommendations have been approved to cook pork to 145°F and then remove the meat and let it set. The temperature will rise another five degrees. But remember that this is for domestic pork that does not have T. sp. worm infection. I'd still go with the 165°F rule on wild game, personally. Here is some helpful information from the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichin...info/faqs.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

According to the literature data, trichinellosis infected animals following:

Wolves - up to 97% of the population
    Bears - up to 90%
    Foxes - up to 80%
    Lynx - up to 70%
    Moles - up to 50%
    Arctic foxes - up to 34%
    Sable - up to 25%
    Boars - up to 21.4%
    Wolverine - up to 20%
    Martens - up to 20%
    Rodents - up to 15%
    Mink - up to 11.1%
    Dogs - up to 4.3%
    Ermine - up to 3.5%
    Trichinosis is often found in polar bears, ferrets, raccoons, cats, Trichinella found in a badger, water rat, nutria, hippo, seal, walrus, hedgehog, marmot, porcupine, lion, tiger, leopard.
    Last edited by Rick; 05-14-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Removed Link
    My website - The Free - Freedom!
    And this article About me

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Trichinella (T. sp.) are actually killed at a fairly low temperature (137°F) hence the age old rule of thumb to cook game and pork to an internal temperature of 160°F. Recently, recommendations have been approved to cook pork to 145°F and then remove the meat and let it set. The temperature will rise another five degrees. But remember that this is for domestic pork that does not have T. sp. worm infection. I'd still go with the 165°F rule on wild game, personally. Here is some helpful information from the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichin...info/faqs.html
    Good stuff, Rick!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

One could also use that as a list of meats from which NOT TO MAKE JERKY.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Ahem.....For those of us that heat the meat to at least 155°F that wouldn't be a worry. For those that don't, and you know who you are, they'll probably be knocking on my door some some yummy in the tummy Mole jerky.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

we eat bear fairly regular and as it is well cooked do not worry about it. i think this was more associated with garbage bears.

I was just reading an article on this from Alaska Epidemiology. According to them ALL Bears in Alaska should be considered affected and freezing will not kill the cysts because they have become acclimated to the cold!

"T. nativa in Alaska bear and walrus meat is cold-resistant. Unlike pork, freezing arctic meat will NOT kill larval cysts. Bear or walrus meat is safe once the entire piece is completely cooked to a gray color. USDA recommends attaining an internal temperature of at least 160° F. Microwaving may not render meat safe as cooking may be uneven."

(Their emphasis, not mine)

"It is prudent to assume that all bears in Alaska are infected."

http://www.epi.alaska.gov/bulletins/docs/b2000_18.htm

Quote Originally Posted by volnomuvolya View Post
    According to the literature data, trichinellosis infected animals following:

Wolves - up to 97% of the population
    Bears - up to 90%
    Foxes - up to 80%
    Lynx - up to 70%
    Moles - up to 50%
    Arctic foxes - up to 34%
    Sable - up to 25%
    Boars - up to 21.4%
    Wolverine - up to 20%
    Martens - up to 20%
    Rodents - up to 15%
    Mink - up to 11.1%
    Dogs - up to 4.3%
    Ermine - up to 3.5%
    Trichinosis is often found in polar bears, ferrets, raccoons, cats, Trichinella found in a badger, water rat, nutria, hippo, seal, walrus, hedgehog, marmot, porcupine, lion, tiger, leopard.
    I have always heard that rabbits carried this as well. Should I assume I have false info b/c they didn't make the list?

Maybe Russia uses a different list.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Would rabbits contract it? I've never heard of that. They are grass eaters not scavengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Would rabbits contract it? I've never heard of that. They are grass eaters not scavengers.
    I don't know, found a couple of sites online that mentioned it but they didn't give source info. They do eat their own young if disturbed, but are generally vegetarian. i would just cook them well to be sure I guess.

Great info!
    "You are not good enough now, and you never will be, to not die in this sport."

As a kid at the ranch and to this day when I Kill wild game, I wipe the meat down with vinegar water cover and let stand in a cool place. When I get rabbit and squirrel and rattlepies also heart and liver I let sit over night in viegar water. This does not hurt the meat and it helps to kill most unwanted bugs in the meat. cooking does the rest. I never have had bad meat doing it this way.
    In Marine Survival school we were told any Fur-bearing mammal killed in the wild should be cooked well or no blood is in the meat...
    Last edited by Woodmaster750; 06-19-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

Jesse - None of the organisms would be killed by the vinegar. I can't see that it would do any harm and if it works for you that's fine. I'd suggest cooking is what destroys the pathogens rather then the vinegar. Vinegar is only 5-10% acetic acid so it's not likely to kill anything. It will probably tenderize the meat just as soaking ribs in vinegar would.