Thread: Charcoal question.

Default Charcoal question.

I normally use Royal Oak lump, but I'm out and nobody in town has any, right now, so I picked up a bag of Cowboy lump charcoal. Has anyone used this brand? I was wondering how it compares to R.O.

Oh, and for the record, I just threw a piece of pecan wood on the charcoal, and put a ham on to cook/smoke.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I don't use that brand but I have hardwood lump that I do use. I pick mine up at Kroger and the packages look a lot alike so Cowboy may make it for them. I don't have any problems with it. At least it doesn't have that stupid lighter fluid smell that Kingsford puts in their crap.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that about Kingsford.

Another reason that I don't like K, is that the grill that I converted from gas to charcoal, doesn't flow a lot of air, so when Kingsford fills the charcoal "tray" up with ash, I have a hard time keeping the temp. up/consistent.

So far, the Cowboy stuff smells good. I did have to break some pieces up, though. Everything in the bag was pretty dang big. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

I think that's why they call it "lump".
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I think that's why they call it "lump".
    Yeah, but most of these "lumps" were more like "boulders"! LOL
    (Most of the pieces are bigger than a softball.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Here, you might like this link. Cowboy is in the fifth row down far left hand side.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You can thank Henry Ford for those funny shaped bits of charcoal, and the funny smell.

http://www.smokepistol.com/tipcharcoalbriquette.html

Ford wasted nothign lefto over from his production runs. Even the scrap chunks form model T body work was used. The cars were built like cabinets with metal over a wood frame.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

No wonder my steaks smell like a new car.

I used Cowboy Charcoal for about 3 seasons and it was really good stuff. But they must have changed plants that ship here. Had to stop this season though. Between the amount of uncharred wood, pieces that had obviously old wood qualities like borer holes, sheet bark, the size of the "lumps" (some bigger than a softball on steroids), occasional odd bits that weren't charcoal, some bags with a definite pine taste to em and the fireworks spark displays, I gave up on it.

I didn't care so much about the board shapes, you'll find that in RO too. That's what I'm using now. Still a little more bark in there than I care for but far less sparking and far better flavor. Walmart up here carries RO but I had to ask a clerk to climb the ladder yesterday to get it. They had it in winter storage on the top rack. So I got 8 bags to last me hmm, maybe until March. Maybe.

I used my leftover Cowboy stuff in the chiminea these last few cold weekends of yard work. Works like a charm for that IF you can keep a watch for the sparks.
    Last edited by LowKey; 12-04-2011 at 06:56 PM.

I guess I lucked out, with the bag that I got. The lumps were huge, but it worked out OK. It burned plenty hot, and a lot longer than I expected. (I guess because of the big lumps.) I didn't have any sparking, or funny taste. In fact, it added very little taste. I like that....I get to decide what taste to add. (Pecan, cherry, apple, etc.) If I thought all bags were like the one I used today, I would probably continue getting it, in place of R.O. (Or at least let price decide.)

I normally get my R.O. from the local walmart, but they ran out and haven't re-ordered. (To make room for all the Christmas stuff.)

Rick, If you look at the pictures in the link you posted....What they show as the "big" lumps, are what the small lumps are, in the bag I got. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

2D, check the number on the back of the bag. Try to get more bags with the same or similar number. CLC is made and shipped from a number of different plants and distributes under a number of different store brand names.