Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Throwing a knife, uses in the field?

I'm with you, Tank.

WHAP! "Dang it!"
    "What happened?"
    "Some dang fool threw a crescent wrench at me."
    WHAP! "Ow!"
    "What was that?"
    "A ratchet."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hatchets are much easier to throw and stick! And they don't break nearly as easy as a knife. I have an all steel hatchet that I can stick in an 8" target every time and it has never broken or gotten lost.
    But on the downside, it has taken years of practice to learn how to throw it that accurately. A gun is much easier!

Throwing knives, hawks, axes...or most anything that depends on "sticking" into something rather than just bashing into something, depends on distance, throwing technique, and of course practice, good luck doesn't hurt.

Most live targets are not stationary, usally not at the proper distance to insure a high percentage 'hit" rate.

Practice will make things easier if throwing your knife/ax if that's what you want to do, I will use a rock.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Oh, if it's hawks you wanta throw just call Mrs. Crash. Seen same, stuck same.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Some things are made for throwing.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I notice Mrs. Crash wasn't standing in front of the Wheel of Good Luck.

I'll have you know sir that I have the good judgement to not even attempt such a stunt........because when it's her turn................
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I was taught not to throw my knife, once you throw it you don't have it anymore.

Hey, Wise Old Owl, I like your question at the end of your posts. I was a Forest Ranger for 37 years and we all went to the woods, camping, hiking, hunting or to the lakes and rivers to fish or take canoe trips. That's why we joined the Forest Service.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

I remember tracking rabbits out into the picked cornfields when I was a kid (mom thought I was to young to carry a gun) and whopping them with a stick. Ate many a fine meal of wild rabbit thata way. Oh yeah. You need snow for this method. As far as thowing a knife for hunting or self defence, Steven Segal I'm not. I would keep my knife for other uses.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Highhawk1948 View Post
    I was taught not to throw my knife, once you throw it you don't have it anymore.

Hey, Wise Old Owl, I like your question at the end of your posts. I was a Forest Ranger for 37 years and we all went to the woods, camping, hiking, hunting or to the lakes and rivers to fish or take canoe trips. That's why we joined the Forest Service.
    My father was a forest ranger for about 35 years as well........and with inforcing the law, putting out forest fires, finding lost people, didn't really have time to do much hunting of fishing till he retired.

I can remember as a kid, every vacation or day trip being on a rainy day, as he was always "on call" in case the wood happened to start burning, on hot dry days.

The main advantage to throwing your knife that I can see is it lessens the load you have to carry while running in the opposite direction. "He who fights and runs away......" and all that.

Junior Member newzealandsurvival's Avatar

I would never ever throw my knife in any situation at a game animal, even if you hit the animal, say something large like a deer then its going to run away with your knife as well sticking out of it. lost game and lost knife. I have seen some people also tie their knife to the end of a spear stick which is also insane.

(scratching spear stick knife off list)

When using a stick to get an animal out of a hole, you need a small green stick and simply put a split in the end of it. It doesn't need to be that big. You just shove the stick against the fur and start slowly until the fur begins to twist into it and then the skin will begin to twist also. If the hole is in the ground the animal will pull out easier than if it is in a log where he can dig into the side. If the log is very rotten he also won't dig in well. I think any animal with enough fur could be pulled out this way. Well, ..at least that's what I've been told by those who have done such things.

Junior Member newzealandsurvival's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

lol good call..

You mean all them movies are wrong?......Naw can't be.
    If your weren't supposed to make your big a$$ survival knife in to a spear why would they hollow out the handle? Just doesn't make any sense?

Besides you have the idea of "good" on your side, so it you throw your knife or spear some thing or some one that is Bad....logic is that you will always stick it in something and have the upper hand.
    It's the old good vs evil and happy ending and all that.

I have a sheath of three throwing knives. Doesn't take up much room, and they don't weigh enough to notice. The reason I carry them....entertainment. That's it. When camp chores and all else is done sometimes it's fun to fling knives at a stump for a little while, especially when I need a break from practicing primitive skills and/or am finding myself getting frustrated with one thing or another. I'm not worried about breaking them (used to have four..) because they're cheap. I think I picked up all four original throwers and sheath for something like $9 at a gun show a few years ago. I'm surprised they've lasted this long. Got a buddy who camps with me quite a bit and he'll play with them for hours. I wouldn't dream of trying to hunt with them and blades themselves are really too dull at this point to do anything constructive with. More often than not I don't even take them out of the pack, and if I'm doing a day hike, scout, or something of that nature I don't even take them.
    “One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of a March thaw, is the spring.” ― Aldo Leopold

Hunter - I thought the hollowed out handle was for beer. Granted it doesn't hold a lot but we are talking survival. Mine came with a bunch of junk in it. Fishing stuff and what not. I threw all that away and filled it up with beer. The cap has a rubber gasket so it won't leak. Why else would that gasket be there except to keep stuff from leakin' out?

I hear ya,.....man can't live on survival food along, a brewski or two kinda mellows out all those pesky little things that crop up, like fire and shelter, oh and food, (chips and jerky)....Ya know

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You probably read about it in the Philistine Times.
    On Papyrus? or those mud balls found all over Egypt with the little stick marks....

Quote Originally Posted by socom2173 View Post
    It doesn't matter how good you are, you stand a very good chance of losing your knife.
    And that puts the odd's very much against your favor.
    - so hmmm Don't Miss!

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Had a great discussion with a police officer many years ago. A Lithonia officer shot and killed a woman who refused to put down the butcher knife. She was about 20 feet away. I mentioned that I thought it a bit extreme as she only had a butcher knife. He then asked me knowing that I am an avid knife thrower, that if I had a butcher knife, what would my chances of sticking the target at 20 feet. I told him no problem that I could hit a pie plate. He then said that is why he would shoot me. He then explained that the kevlar vests that they wore were great at stopping most bullets, but there tests had shown that a knife would penetrate the vest. So, if a police officer asks you to drop the knife, drop the knife.
    Yea saw that too on one of the Discovery channels - new vests (Stab Vest | Ex Police Stab Vest with Kevlar Bullet Proof Inserts) in use in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Highhawk1948 View Post

I saw a post last week in reply I thought was very funny - "THEY GO TO VEGAS!"

Hard to run away with a spear stick hanging off your side.

Hunter - I thought the hollowed out handle was for beer. Granted it doesn't hold a lot but we are talking survival. Mine came with a bunch of junk in it. Fishing stuff and what not. I threw all that away and filled it up with beer. The cap has a rubber gasket so it won't leak. Why else would that gasket be there except to keep stuff from leakin' out?
    Try VO - beer's a little weak lately - Very popular with the ladies.....Wow I have been away too long.....
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907