Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Throwing a knife, uses in the field?

Cryov - Rabbits around here generally don't build dens in open fields. Too many better suited places. I suppose the idea is to not take a mother rabbit off a nest of young ones and leave them to die. That's just a guess on my part.

Crash - Indeed, that was probably it. The online version no doubt.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You probably read about it in the Philistine Times.
    Actually, I think he got it from the movie "Braveheart" starring Mel Gibson.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Nope. No pictures. But here's the write up from the Ind. DNR.

"It is illegal to remove a rabbit from a hole, den or tree hollow with the aid of a ferret or other small animal or other means."
    OMG When Did the Whole State of Ind. Decide to Sign a DNR.
    If they Try to Pass that Here In Florida I'm Not Signing it .

Back On the Main Issue . I Would Make a Rabbit Stick Also Or Make a Weapon for Critters Never Throw My Knife.
    To Fail Is to Learn from your Mistakes and Advanced off of that Failure.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Actually, I think he got it from the movie "Braveheart" starring Mel Gibson.
    His joke + my retort = A
    You = B
    A + B = missed by a mile
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The late Harry McEvoy, knifethrower extraordinaire killed a german sentry in WWII from 40 ft plus with a thrown bowie knife during a raid. He did it silently.

If I was THAT good at throwing a knife, I would consider the skill as a great survival tool.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Hey! Skinner, this some serious stuff. Don't go messin' with our DNR. I mean, we have Kentucky south of us, Illinois west of us, Ohio east of us and Michigan, well most of Michigan isn't so bad. But who wants to be saved when you're surrounded like that?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I would say it's a great skill to have, but not for small game. I would either throw a rock or a club (thick tree branch). Maybe if I had nothing else and a deer walked by and I could chuck a knife into its throat, then ok, I'd risk it if I needed the food.

Winter, It'd be my luck the knife would slap him flat and get him screaming. That would wake up the entire German garrison but they would probably die from laughter once they knew that I had thrown my only knife at him. Either that or just buy me a lager.

Quote Originally Posted by JPGreco View Post
    I would say it's a great skill to have, but not for small game. I would either throw a rock or a club (thick tree branch). Maybe if I had nothing else and a deer walked by and I could chuck a knife into its throat, then ok, I'd risk it if I needed the food.
    I'd be too paranoid of the knife sticking and not killing. Don't want some deer running off with it just in case.
    Speaking of deer, think I came across a "special' one the other day. Was out walking and this doe calmly walks up to me and stares at the trail mix I was eating, I offered some with my hand and she came right up to me and started eating it. She was calm and quite gentle, even didn't mind being petted, however I noticed her tongue hangs out of her mouth to the right when she wasn't eating. Any idea what the means? Her jaw didn't look broken, figured something must've hit her upside the head real hard and that is why she was so docile.
    Last edited by Cryov; 12-04-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Rabies. I hope you didn't pet to her or try to feed her anything. Then you'd have rabies on you, too. Oh, my, I just reread your post. What I meant was she probably had a cold. Yeah, it's...it's...probably nothing to worry about.

Oh Rick, you are silly.
    I use to be a vet-tech and the deer didn't show an obvious signs of rabies. Dehydration, confusion, aggressive behavior, etc...
    However after some googling it seems it may be a nerve disorder or the poor thing had a stroke.

Yeah, stroke. That's what I meant. Strike that whole rabies things. (crossing Cryov off the Christmas dinner list).

Wait a sec... *re-reads ricks post several times over*
    You'd want me at christmas dinner with rabies >.>

I just hadn't gotten that far yet. Besides, you don't have to worry about that. If it is rabies you won't last that long anyway. What I mean is....will you look at the time?.....gotta run.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryov View Post
    Wait a sec... *re-reads ricks post several times over*
    You'd want me at christmas dinner with rabies >.>
    It was a typing error. He wants you at Christmas dinner with rabbits
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Blog Entries

Depends on how many knives I have on me at the time. I rarely just carry only a throwing knife. If I have a bowie or Kabar and a big ol thrower, survival situation, may just have to sink that thrower into the chest of whatever is coming at me. Reach back and then grab the hawk.

It doesn't matter how good you are, you stand a very good chance of losing your knife.
    And that puts the odd's very much against your favor.

The top ten reasons to never throw your knife.

10. You could miss and the guy might return it the same way.
    9. You could slice a finger when you let go.
    8. You could be fined for not having a throwing permit.
    7. You could break a nail.
    6. Someone is sure to critique your style even in the heat of battle.
    5. Your mom will tell you to pick it up then send you to your room.
    4. You could break the blade and it WILL be taken out of your monthly pay.
    3. It will most likely stick in the nearest tree. It always does in the movies.
    2. Your wife may insist that you take a turn on the spinning wheel of good luck.
    And the number one reason to never throw your knife. You might poke somone's eye out.

Blog Entries

Had a great discussion with a police officer many years ago. A Lithonia officer shot and killed a woman who refused to put down the butcher knife. She was about 20 feet away. I mentioned that I thought it a bit extreme as she only had a butcher knife. He then asked me knowing that I am an avid knife thrower, that if I had a butcher knife, what would my chances of sticking the target at 20 feet. I told him no problem that I could hit a pie plate. He then said that is why he would shoot me. He then explained that the kevlar vests that they wore were great at stopping most bullets, but there tests had shown that a knife would penetrate the vest. So, if a police officer asks you to drop the knife, drop the knife.

You guys can keep throwing your tools away, I'll keep mine.

I did see a pic one time a guy made a throwing knife. I was made in the form of an X with a bolt and wing nut in the middle. I have thought about doing that. But I'm not going to throw my tools away after I paid good money for them.