Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You DON'T need a battle rifle.

iM JUST GONNA GO WITH A .25 ACP , i dont think ill have any problems!
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Banned
    Blog Entries

You know if I lived some place that I thought I could even remotely "NEED" a battle rifle, do you know what I would buy........??? I would buy a ticket to some place a hell'of lot safe, where I did not need a battle rifle.

SD, the days will start getting longer in 20 more days.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

SD, Being in alaska, arent you already there?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoryD View Post
    SD, Being in alaska, arent you already there?
    Where I live, Yes. But Alaska has some large cities, with all of the classic big city problems.

Like Anchorage, Nome, Fairbanks, etc...Alaska is just like anywhere else, but colder...and with more bears..and mountains. and tundra..and...oh...nm Alaska is pretty much only like Alaska ; ) But in an attempt to get the thread back on track, If you can avoid people, generally you shouldnt need a MBR, but I wouldnt say you dont ever need one.

Well I have moved passed "need" a long time ago......just doing "want".....But with discretion.
    Last edited by hunter63; 12-03-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well I have moved passed "need" a long time ago......just doing "want".....But with discretion.
    That's the gold standard, hunter.
    But if you hadn't been realistic on the "need" part you'd have no luxury of enjoying the "want" part. It's a hard thing to get through your head when you're young and immortal.

I actually have a hard time plunking down my money to this day, on much of anything shootable, left over from the old days.......baby formula, rent, shoes etc.
    It was a leson I learned a long time ago....If you have to save up the cash...it's tougher to pay for something with cash...cause you don't have it any more.

I don't like useing credit cards on stuff like this, I will use it for gas, ordering stuff, then paying if off at the end of the month....but you won't find me using one at Micky-D's, or at the grocery store, then its checks....I have to have it to spend it.

I think the waiting period is a good thing for me as I can spend the 3 days or what ever, thinking about if I really l want something.

I do of course carry cash in case I come across a good deal, like at gun shows and such.

Now that being said, I have come across good deals, and have purchased a lot of raffle tickets over the years.......but I look for used deals, newspaper, and such for most purchases for firearms.

It's rare that I set my sight (pun) on a particular piece, but when I do, I just save up the cash....then make my move.
    Works for me.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

its curious you didnt mention what constitutes a "main battle rifle" , at least your definition , because you may think an FN FAL 308 isnt and a 22-250 is , both of witch are capable hunters , but which one is the one you want to defend your property and family with ? Or are you one of those who believe the the cops are gonna protect you?
    US Marines
    NRA Life Member

Did you direct that at SD? The guy who's stated it takes 2 hours for the state police to respond IF they show up? The guy that wants a kill zone on his driveway and thinks trip wires just let you know when company shows up? The only guy I know with a coaxial machine gun mounted in his cabin? The guy that wears a coat with LVOSS mounted smoke grenade launchers?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You can get motion detectors for the driveway. The nice thing about those over tripwires are that they are discreet. And they keep working whereas a trip wire is usually a one shot deal.

If he detects motion in the driveway it usually gets shot.

(now that right there is funny)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

SemperFi, to be honest, I dont think SD used the term "MBR", He called them just battle rifles. Just somantics, i spose'. idk what all SD includes as a MBR othe than a AR/M16, but i include just about anything that is semi/full auto, 20+ rd mags, 22 centerfire or larger. So AR/M16, M1A/M14, AK47/74, FAL, etc. are what I consider MBRs
    Last edited by CoryD; 12-04-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: I R Dumb

Ok Rick, let me see if I can get this straight. You're saying if you come up SD driveway you need to remain motionless? hmm LOL.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    its curious you didnt mention what constitutes a "main battle rifle" , at least your definition , because you may think an FN FAL 308 isnt and a 22-250 is , both of witch are capable hunters , but which one is the one you want to defend your property and family with ? Or are you one of those who believe the the cops are gonna protect you?
    As I have stated I own a lot of battle rifles. My point was directed mostly toward people new to prepping/survival awareness. My point is that nearly all information about preparing has a battle rifle chapter right after Food & Water. Which leads newbies to assign to high of a priority to procuring a battle rifle. (Now all total I own about 16 battle rifles, so I ain't anti-battle rifle).

A .22 Magnum is loud, but about 1/3 as loud as a 5.56 NATO. I was in a room when three people got shot, and all of us were dazed and in a trance from the sound of a 3006 being lit off in a confined space. I feel that food procurement will be of a higher priority to most people than shooting other people, and that a properly placed .22 Magnum is effective for both hunting and defense. As I stated I would rather enter a SHAFT survival event with 1,500 rounds of .22 Magnum, than 200 rounds of .308 NATO (which are about the same size and weight).

I agree that firearms are "tools", However I say choose the tool with the widest range of applications. A Crescent wrench is not the perfect tool for anything, but will work and covers the widest range of applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    .....I was in a room when three people got shot, and all of us were dazed and in a trance from the sound of a 3006 being lit off in a confined space......
    Not meaning to derail the topic......Did I ever tell you about the first house I bought? Single guy - new sub-division with only a couple of houses occupied. An armadillo was tearing up the new sod I installed. I was sitting in my living room after returning from the range and was cleaning my weapons, when through the sliding glass door I saw the culprit, digging away. I grabbed a bb gun and started pumping. I pumped it up good. Shot and hit the armadillo. I think it turned it's head toward me and yawned, then went back to digging. I grabbed the rifle I was cleaning - a Ruger, Model 1, 45/70 and slid a cartridge into the chamber. I took aim and fired. All I saw was a red mist. It was about a week or so before my hearing fully returned. Never shoot a 45/70 with 500 grain jhp in an enclosed space without hearing protection. Just sayin'.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ha! I was standing under a covered range position and the guy with me didn't have on hearing protection. I forgot I had taken mine off and popped a round of .45. He was pretty upset but I didn't hear much at all. Being deaf has it's advantages I guess.

Back to survival rifles and which one is best.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Not meaning to derail the topic......Did I ever tell you about the first house I bought? Single guy - new sub-division with only a couple of houses occupied. An armadillo was tearing up the new sod I installed. I was sitting in my living room after returning from the range and was cleaning my weapons, when through the sliding glass door I saw the culprit, digging away. I grabbed a bb gun and started pumping. I pumped it up good. Shot and hit the armadillo. I think it turned it's head toward me and yawned, then went back to digging. I grabbed the rifle I was cleaning - a Ruger, Model 1, 45/70 and slid a cartridge into the chamber. I took aim and fired. All I saw was a red mist. It was about a week or so before my hearing fully returned. Never shoot a 45/70 with 500 grain jhp in an enclosed space without hearing protection. Just sayin'.
    Aha! Crash isn't as level headed as we all thought....
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Back in his younger days. You know how it is.