Thread: Weevils in my Acorns

Default Weevils in my Acorns

So I've been collecting acorns off a variety of oaks in my area but it seems that 90% of my acorns have maggoty little weevils in them. Are there any tell-tale signs to see if there are weevils in the acorn before I break them open?
    This is my first time collecting acorns so I'm a real newbie in it.

look for bore holes in both the shell or cupule. discard those with pinholes or any signs of mold, etc.

if the acorn is still sound, they can be protected against grain weevils after processing by light but thorough roasting and proper sealing.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

The small hole is the tell-tale sign for most nuts. Leave those for the squirrels. The will eat the larva and bury the rest of the nut.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

“There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

squirrel-nuts-1.jpgOOOOOOuchhh
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Hey thanks for the comments. I'll probably be heading out and getting some more acorns this afternoon--hopefully I'll have less weevils this time!

you can also put them in water, most of the good acrons will sink, most of bad acorns with float.