Thread: rawhide

Default rawhide

just had a thought for you buckskinners. go to walmart or wherever ya want. get the biggest rawhide chewtoy they got. throw it in 5gallons of water for about 12 hours and you got it. usually the are a foot by two foot. order the cheapest strap cutter tandy leather has. they take an injector blade sold nearly everywhere. start in the middle and you got rawhide. the strap cutter is plastic and only cuts 1" or smaller straps. but for less than 10 bucks what the hay?

Neat. You jogged my forgetter; I once soaked some monster rawhide dog bones and made some native-ish sandals.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I have done that before as well, made an emergency patch for one of my tipi poles, when the top got damaged unloading it off the tru...I mean the "horse".

Unless you buy the really big ones they aren't very big.....and do get soft again if the get wet........tipi pole made it till it rained.

Sounds like you are talking about making lacing, like for canoe chairs and such?....or tieing out a flatlander that snuck into the beer cooler?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

thanks for sharing I keep learning more &more

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    ...or tieing out a flatlander that snuck into the beer cooler
    You, sir, have no scruples. I still insist I had placed beverages into the cooler. I was not trying to extract any.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Got no "cooth" either, LOL.......Only left him there for a little while....
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-24-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

And sat a beer at the edge of my finger tips. I could almost touch the condensation on the bottle. Oh! The Agony!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.