Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for outdoorsey work/job.

Default Looking for outdoorsey work/job.

Don't laugh, I know we all are.

But if anyone has a lead on an outdoors job please let me know here or in PM.

I got a few primitive skills, been a life long hunter, am a shooting instructor and was a professional full time backpacker for three years- blah blah.
    I got my resume & a bio posted on the top left of my webby home page. Imma gun plumber too.

Thanks. If you don't have a job lead thats okay, just leave some money in my hat there by my feet.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, 的 am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

There are probably a number of lodges that are looking for winter caretakers especially in Alaska...if they haven't already been filled. You might find something here:

http://www.oapn.net/outdoor_jobs_by_industry.php
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks Rick I'll look into it. and I take back all those mean & hurtful things I said about you behind your'n back.
    Thanks,
    Tres

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

Jesus answered, 的 am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Oh, don't worry about talking behind my back. You can call me those things to my face. I can't hear worth a da@#.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Now that's handy!
    Thanks,
    Tres

Default Check this out:

http://www.coolworks.com/

We met quite a few people last summer during our vacation out west who got their jobs through this site.
    They worked in state parks and lodges where we stayed.

I checked out your home page, looks like you have some stuff going.....So are you looking to travel?.......relocate? or just something outdoors steady?

I don't have a job for ya, just trying to get an idea on what you are looking for.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Any & all the above Hunter. My signature on Sniper's Hide forum reads

""I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes Available.

John 14:6 2TIMothy 3:16""

Thanks!
    Thanks,
    Tres

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Me too, me too!!!

I want a cool job with no stress, no people, no bosses and no hassles.

I want to get paid for doing what everyone else does as recreation!!!

Oh!! I forgot. I already have that.

It's called RETIREMENT!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Siberia is a cool place to live. Actually, it's just da#$ed cold. But some days are cool.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Me too, me too!!!

I want a cool job with no stress, no people, no bosses and no hassles.

I want to get paid for doing what everyone else does as recreation!!!

Oh!! I forgot. I already have that.

It's called RETIREMENT!
    That was just rotten!
    Thanks,
    Tres

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    That was just rotten!
    Yes, and we have no tact here either.

I met some full time backpackers while hiking the AT back about a decade ago. There is a name they use for them on the trail and you do not want to know what it is.

What certifications do you hold? Do you have a machinist union card?
    What apprinticeship program or trade school did you graduate from?
    What survival schools run by known experts have you graduated from?
    What military training or military instruction courses or NRA firearms instructor training do you hold?
    Which armorers courses have you graduated?
    Long range firearms training at $600 a pop and no live fire exercise included????

I once had a half dozen in-laws that were alcaholics, they all wanted to own their own bar.

We have several full or part time guides on this forum and they will tell you real quick that they have to scramble and slave for every client they get and every penny they make.

I ran into the situation after leaving Grad school that the jobs available in the private sector or with the National Park Service, paid so low that I would qualify for food stamps with a Master's degree in the positions they were offering. Most of what you see wearing a uniform or shepherding folk from place to place and camp spot to camp spot is volunteer inturns who pay the organization for the work experience thinking they are enhancing their resume. Most wind up paying the bills with jobs in other fields or driving cabs while waiting for their "break".

Most of the people that I know that use their recreational talents in their field of emjoyment also hold real world jobs. The "technical advisors" I know are also school teachers, pipefitters, custom gunmakers and knifebuilders who were called due to their proven expertese after many years of work in another field and writing/instructional film making on the side in historical or outdoor oriented activities. About the time they start making a good living off their skills they die of old age!

I would say your best bet is to stick with the film work and learn the ropes well, you can always find work as a grip or perhaps graduate to camraman status. If you were a few years younger I would recommend you join the military.

While I appreciate your detailed post it was received as quite pointed.

I have no care as to what negative or derogative terms you referred to those "full time AT backpackers" as.

I and my "full time backpacking associates" were called "working men" as in we were working a full time job, making a difference, making a living, making a GOOD WAGE, paying our bills, paying our due into the system and paying taxes. You have some kind of problem with a man that puts in a hard days work for a hard days pay?

I took your first reply as jesting but it's clear now it was snide.

""Long range firearms training at $600 a pop and no live fire exercise included???? "" Your misguided and have not a clue that of which you speak.

What does your families alcoholism & irresponsibility have to do with my post?

""We have several full or part time guides on this forum and they will tell you real quick that they have to scramble and slave for every client they get and every penny they make.""

EXACTLY- hence the whole reason for this post to begin with. In this modern era it is called "net working." "putting the word out" "Inquiring" "drumming up work."

You got some problem with a new member of this board "scrambling & slaving" for "future pennies?"

"""No tact here?""" Actually In my reading of this board it is evident there are good & kind people here. Your the one that tossed tact aside.

Your tone in your reply is as if I am holding up a cardboard sign that says " Irresponsible: will play for wage." Would it appease you great one if I entered into self flogging by seeking out the most miserable job I can imagine? Get lost. I have lived exhibiting financial maturity long enough to be debt free and can afford to look for EMPLOYMENT I actually prefer. Deal with it.

Join the military? I joined the USMC nearly two decades ago.

You make a lot of pointed assumptions & your offensive. Ever been notified what assumptions do to you? Why do you want to be _________. it's Thanksgiving dude.
    Last edited by TresMon; 11-24-2011 at 12:10 PM.
    Thanks,
    Tres

in regards to the formal machinist training I have a little story.

the other day I was repairing a hot water boiler the other day for a retired school teacher. He asked me where I went to college, I guess I let him down because I didn't go to college for HVAC. I had to laugh though because I've had to let college educated techs go because they simply could not do the job. There was a young man awhile ago that had went to college for HVAC. To complete his credits he had to do a ride along with a HVAC tech. He came along with me. After a few days he told me that the college doesn't have a clue about real world scenarios. I'm all for a formal education if possible but it isn't the only way.

Then there was my granddad. He had a 6 th grade education but he was one heck of a machinist with no formal education. Companies would hire him to design a machine for a certain function, this was before robotics. These companies were only concerned with results. Maybe the world has changed and results aren't important now.

But in my world results are what's important. In my world a man with experience trumps a man with theory every time.

I can vouch for the tech school/collage degree for HVAC., very basic not much practical experience.

Got both in my "second life" but didn't start making any money till got in the union.

They would only take a few credits toward a journeyman card.....but greed trumps education.....place I worked as a service tech, didn't want to pay for me to go to school (i was the only service guy....so allowed me th "buy" my card.

That being said, it does seem that to get thru the pile of applications they first look not only at the certs, degrees, cards, and years of experience.......(read AGE).
    Then they pick someone, to see how well they do.

Networking is a key as the 'good ol boy" network can get you in where other stuff can't.

I'm sorta retired, (retired, but still on the "bench"), and agree that it takes a lot of looking and imagination to "get That Job' more now then in the past.
    happy Thanksgiving>
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I happen to think a formal education is a compliment to practical experience. One does not necessarily require the other based on the application at hand. If I only had one choice, I would prefer a surgeon that has completed training to an experienced meat packer to perform my surgery. If I have any choice, I'd prefer a surgeon that has completed his/her schooling and has experience. Many a fine tradesman had little more than a high school education and we still managed to put this country together...and the parts fit just fine.

To Tresmon - As difficult a choice as it might be I would suggest you take a concurrent two fold approach. For one, I'd suggest you choose where you want to live and then investigate all the positions that would be available in that area. For the second, I would suggest you choose what job(s) you would really like to do. What would make you the happiest. And then see where those jobs exist. It might be that you find some nice overlap where the perfect job lands in the perfect place. Just a thought.

As to Kyrat's post, there can be some strong negatives associated with specific jobs. You probably already know that but on the off chance you don't, guiding in Alaska can cost thousands for permits. I suggest you talk to Sourdough if that's something you are interested in. He can give you the skinny on which permits and the costs associated. It's not cheap. Kyrat is also right in the wage earning for many of those jobs. There are some on here that own their own business and find it tough going. However, if it's something you have your heart set on then go for it. Job satisfaction is worth real dollars. Finding a job you love and one you can make a living at is really the best solution.

Default Speaking only from personal experience...

1. Decide what you love to do. (in my case, advertising)
    2. Find out the best/most challenging/most coveted place where to do it. (in my case, NYC)
    3. Move there. (compromise on life style in favor of experience)
    4. Be the best you can be. Work your a$$ off, build your resume, make connections.
    5. Now you've increased your "currency" and expanded your options to make the next move to a place where you'd actually prefer to live, first, and make a living, second.

I am at the tail end of #4.
    #5 is constantly evolving, but thank God, there's time to make sure.

Thanks for the input guys!! Good stuff, well taken and duly noted.

Let me re-focus the lens. From you guy's advice here it seems I lead you to believe I was asking help to find a CAREER in the outdoors. I mislead you. What I actually had on my mind was to net work and see if a next "short, medium or long term ""gig"" popped up. In Benesse' list above I too am at step 4.5 .

I'm avoiding a career at this point. I got 15 years in punching a clock in machine shops. I got going on another decade in showing up on time every day to swing a hammer and that type stuff prior to and interwoven with the machining. I'm burnt out on time clocks and being married to the Boss' schedule & desires.

Praise God I'm debt free, happy to live a frugal/woodsey existence that requires far less cash flow than most and I have a financial cushion and an emergency fund. So fortunately I can pick and choose what next "work'n gig" I wanna take on. Now don't get me wrong if things get bad I'd shore go back into the salt mine.

For now I got a standing offer to work all next warm season on the local white water river near me. I'm also currently in e-mail talks/interviews to be a white water river guide in Denali next spring & summer. I'm also in talks with the Tom Brown Tracker school about being a "caretaker" of the primitive camp- to live in the woods at the primtive camp for a year where they teach the courses.

It's from casting about such as I did/ am doing or intended to do in this thread that I have found these opportunities. I have until at least February before I need to commit to any one of these, so I'm still researching, net working and drumm'n up work to add to my list of opportunities for next year before I commit to any one.

Thanks so much guys. Great input!

Please, NO MORE pecan pie! I'll bust!
    Last edited by TresMon; 11-24-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    Thanks,
    Tres

Sorry Tressey, I was simply commenting on what was in your home page and what was vacant from it. It is there for all to see and/or wonder over and all informaton was taken from that site. If I know not what I speak it is due to what is there and what is not.

We are left to read between the lines on the site and in your posts.

Marine Corps 20 years ago?
    10 years in construction?
    15 years as a machinist?
    Not presently looking for a career?
    No immidiate need for income?
    No debt, so no wife/no kids/no ties

Gotcha!

Good luck.

Pretty close yep. No wife or kids or debt. My condo is paid for as are my vehicles. No I dont want to dip into my reserves so yes i'll need income- another block of funds by spring.

You never read anywhere- my site or otherwise that I charge $600 per student, much less $600 per, but no live fire. But we're moving on.

Thanks. and thanks for the apology
    Last edited by TresMon; 11-24-2011 at 05:25 PM.
    Thanks,
    Tres