Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for outdoorsey work/job.

I noticed Rick used the medical profession in a example. I'm curious why do doctors call their businesses a "practice" LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    Thanks for the input guys!! Good stuff, well taken and duly noted.

Let me re-focus the lens. From you guy's advice here it seems I lead you to believe I was asking help to find a CAREER in the outdoors. I mislead you. What I actually had on my mind was to net work and see if a next "short, medium or long term ""gig"" popped up. In Benesse' list above I too am at step 4.5 .

I'm avoiding a career at this point. I got 15 years in punching a clock in machine shops. I got going on another decade in showing up on time every day to swing a hammer and that type stuff prior to and interwoven with the machining. I'm burnt out on time clocks and being married to the Boss' schedule & desires.

Praise God I'm debt free, happy to live a frugal/woodsey existence that requires far less cash flow than most and I have a financial cushion and an emergency fund. So fortunately I can pick and choose what next "work'n gig" I wanna take on. Now don't get me wrong if things get bad I'd shore go back into the salt mine.

For now I got a standing offer to work all next warm season on the local white water river near me. I'm also currently in e-mail talks/interviews to be a white water river guide in Denali next spring & summer. I'm also in talks with the Tom Brown Tracker school about being a "caretaker" of the primitive camp- to live in the woods at the primtive camp for a year where they teach the courses.

It's from casting about such as I did/ am doing or intended to do in this thread that I have found these opportunities. I have until at least February before I need to commit to any one of these, so I'm still researching, net working and drumm'n up work to add to my list of opportunities for next year before I commit to any one.

Thanks so much guys. Great input!

Please, NO MORE pecan pie! I'll bust!
    Now if this had been the first post....think of all the fun we would have missed.........just saying, LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The same reason those they treat are know for their patients.....(get it? Patience?) I slay myself.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I noticed Rick used the medical profession in a example. I'm curious why do doctors call their businesses a "practice" LOL.
    Because, unlike some of us who know what they're doing, doctors are still just practicing.

As are the attorneys.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Did you try your states fish and game dept? sometimes they have Limited Term Employment (LTE) spots open in hatcheries, forestry, habitat improvement, etc.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    Pretty close yep. No wife or kids or debt. My condo is paid for as are my vehicles. No I dont want to dip into my reserves so yes i'll need income- another block of funds by spring.

You never read anywhere- my site or otherwise that I charge $600 per student, much less $600 per, but no live fire. But we're moving on.

Thanks. and thanks for the apology
    [I]
    "Everything will be covered to put you ahead of the curve for going out and gaining positive, solid long range shooting experience.

This is not a live-fire course, this is classroom presentation & training so you can go back to your shooting spot and put to use the skills you learned in class. There are many FINE live-fire Long Range shooting schools in this country.

Cost is typically $600 for the course, plus $300 for ammo plus travel & lodging= $1200.00 +/-

My course is for the working man who can not afford that (such as myself) but desires the same education & training at a price he can afford."[/
    I]

I confused your discription of what your course is not with what you say it is. I think I would eliminate that clause and avoid the confusion.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Cease, gentlemen. It matters not a whit except in your own noggin'. It's my toy! No it's mine! should be left to 4 year olds. Thank you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by CoryD View Post
    Did you try your states fish and game dept? sometimes they have Limited Term Employment (LTE) spots open in hatcheries, forestry, habitat improvement, etc.
    LTE has a very nice ring to it. Thanks Cory. I will look into it!
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."