Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinel No13 as a Machete?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Points and counterpoints made, gentlemen. Let's agree to disagree, shall we?
    Come on Rick, if we don't disagree we will have nothing to talk about and degenerate to one of the forums where someone says "I bought a Mora." and 75 five people say "That's great post pics!"

At least around here we know the Finns will dis on the Moras and I will dis on the machettes and some bolivian peasant will dis on the SAK, Glockcop is going to defend AR platforms to the death and some of us will be burried with our 1911s.

This is the most excitement we've had around here in two weeks!

Winter is one of the easy guys to argue with around here. He has not called me a pervert or communist yet and we have been bouncing this around for two days.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Well, if there's ever a lull, I'll bring up the fact that I live in NYC and...are you ready...am a vegetarian.
    If that's not enough, Rick can talk about how the country is going in the right direction and things are looking up.

Yeah B, you just must like the challenge of trying to survive with half the food.

Hunting/grazing, whats the difference?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

And with the improvement in the economy she can buy more grains!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'll trade bullets for bread.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Yeah B, you just must like the challenge of trying to survive with half the food.

Hunting/grazing, whats the difference?
    It's not about half the food, Winter, it's about half the portions. That's the challenge for most; just look around.

Without diggin into the politics of the thread - your choice of knifes for trail brush is unfortunately faulted - I looked into this - a serrated blade or a sharp weighted blade will make a cut provided the brush is deep a few prickers across the trail - nah it will fail. In light brush a crook is needed to clear it. This is from experience. For a while I used a machete that I took a 1/2 drill and cut a hole against the back of the blade and created a crook that cuts the branch on the slice.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    That is exactly what I said Winter. One has to hunt for a place to get in trouble in the "wilderness" these days. Your situation is 5,000 miles from mine and is still a self imposed condition. All you "winderness survivors" in AK with the computer access kill me! You can be in NYC in 24 hours if you get tired of the bush or any hazzards related to it.
    Gday Kyratshooter heaps of people get lost and die in the Blue Mountains National Park here in Australia. The sad thing about it, is most of them are only 2 or 3 miles from a town with a huge HWY running East West. What can be a bit of a PITA for one person, could be a death sentence for someone else. Some people don't need a whole heap of wilderness, to find themselfs in a whole heap of trouble.

I have the perfect solution, lets all trade in our kits for a Satellite Locator Beacon and a service subscription!
    Last edited by socom2173; 11-22-2011 at 03:51 PM.